PDA

View Full Version : magic missile optimization

da newt
2019-12-05, 06:56 AM
How do you gt the most out of this spell tier 1, 2, 3, and 4? I assume this has been covered before, but search is failing me (likely user ineptitude).

For tier 1/2 the best I can come up with is Sorlocl spamming Hex and quicken MM with Eldritch Blast...

JackPhoenix
2019-12-05, 07:06 AM
Hex doesn't help, as MM isn't an attack. Hexblade's curse does, as does Evocation School Wizard's Empowered Evocations, as MM only use one roll to determine it's damage. Overchannel also works, but it's bit of a waste on a single 1d4. Imbued wood focus from Eberron adds another +1 to force damage spells, though I'm not sure if it made it to E:RftLW or if it was only kept in WGtE.

Terdarius
2019-12-05, 07:16 AM
You're looking for the Nuclear wizard.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23998967&postcount=170

da newt
2019-12-05, 07:22 AM
Thanks - that is exactly what I was searching for.

Damon_Tor
2019-12-05, 08:34 AM
The new Psionicist Wizard UA Subclass should be slightly more effective as a nuclear wizard than the Evoker unless I'm mistaken.

Expected
2019-12-05, 08:56 PM
The new Psionicist Wizard UA Subclass should be slightly more effective as a nuclear wizard than the Evoker unless I'm mistaken.
As someone interested in making a Wizard in the near future, can you elaborate?

Damon_Tor
2019-12-05, 09:32 PM
As someone interested in making a Wizard in the near future, can you elaborate?

Both subclasses add intmod to magic missile's damage, but evokation has the sculpt spell feature, which doesn't help magic missile at all. By contrast, the psionicist rerolls 1s it gets on damage, and while that isn't huge, it's at least relevant. And the psionicist can subtle cast and later go intangible and phase into the floor to utterly deny enemies a chance to respond. A very strong package.