PDA

View Full Version : Good Sci-Fi RPGs?

kirbsys
2007-10-19, 09:34 PM
So does anyone know of any good Sc-Fi/ Future Table Top RPGs? I'm looking for something that's not as mystic as Star Wars. Does anyone know of anything good?

TheGreatJabu
2007-10-19, 09:46 PM
I'm not particularly interested in D20 Future, myself, but there are a few out there that I like. Some people swear by Cyberpunk but I've never tried it, so I can't give you any real feedback on it. Shadowrun is futurish/near-future, and it seems to be quite popular (again, no experience with it myself).

If you like a gritty setting with giant walking tanks, MechWarrior is a winner. If you like an over-the-top, high action anime-style game (also featuring giant robots), Mekton Zeta is quite a bit of fun.

Or if you already own the Star Wars rules, you can use them to bust out some homebrewery - I'm using the new Saga Edition rules to run a conversion game based in the Starcraft universe IRL. It's actually going really well - none of them are using it, but it took very little work to turn "the Force" into more relevant psychic powers for Terran Ghosts and Protoss characters.

feghoot
2007-10-19, 10:22 PM
According to ep.1 the force isn't as mistical as you'd think.

Anyway, I hear Alternity was a good game if you can find it. just keep in mind that this is second hand knowledge.

Lord Tataraus
2007-10-19, 10:26 PM
WARS RPG by Mongoose Publishing is a really good game. Mostly for the setting, as it is an adapted version of D20 Modren. However, it does contain kizen who are humans and aliens who can manipulate quantum energies to produce a variety of effects such as telepathy, telekinesis, fire control, empathy, great strength, great speed, mutations, etc. The whole setting is very scientific and all of the technology seems like it could actually work.

horseboy
2007-10-19, 10:28 PM
Well, Traveler has one of the best settings ever for Sci-FI space games. They pride themselves on E=mc^2 to the point that even their cat girls are physicists.
Spacemaster is kinda fun, there's nothing like hitting someone with both barrels from your shotgun and leaving them bleeding 40 points/round.

I've heard good things for Fading Suns, but haven't played it yet. Got a free down load of Septimus. It's the OLD version of Star Wars (pre-WotC) with a new setting.

MrNexx
2007-10-19, 11:55 PM
I've heard good things for Fading Suns, but haven't played it yet. Got a free down load of Septimus. It's the OLD version of Star Wars (pre-WotC) with a new setting.

Fading Suns is very good, but it does have its mystic elements; I describe it as playing "Ars Magica in a Space Opera"; not in the sense that all of your characters are going to be wizards, but rather the strong church influences, and the magical world. I highly suggest the game, but if you're not into the mystic aspects, they're pretty easy to cut out (just don't deal with them; they're not terribly common).

Septimius I have not read. However, the WEG d6 system is great fun, very easy to use, and Bill Coffin, the author, has done some of the most amazing game supplements I've had the pleasure to read or play.

Crow T. Robot
2007-10-20, 12:12 AM
GURPS is ok if your willing to have people bleed alot. 3rd ed had transhuman space which was a hard sf setting as opposed to space opera.

The rules them selves also let you compleatly ignore special powers if you want, or jus tadd in a few psi powers if you want them.

Winterwind
2007-10-20, 05:19 AM
Fading Suns is good indeed. It does have its share of telepaths and such, but it is made of pure win (well... the universe is, can't say anything about the mechanics, since we played it freeform only).

Think Dune, kinda.

Wraith
2007-10-20, 05:36 AM
A little known Sci-Fi RPG that I am particularly fond of is Nightfall Games' "Sla Industries".

Think "Bladerunner with psychic aliens" for a basic theme (LOTS of Bladerunner - the city is going to hell and it NEVER stops raining on Mort...) and try to house-rule the mechanics for Automatic Weapons since the ones provided don't make any sense at all, and you should get along fine.

It's also worth pointing out that it's apparently going to be re-released and updated in the near future, so the original rule book is available for download, free and completely legally (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=24798&it=1) if you;d rather not waste months of your life tracking one down. :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2007-10-20, 05:39 AM
A little known Sci-Fi RPG that I am particularly fond of is Nightfall Games' "Sla Industries".

Think "Bladerunner with psychic aliens" for a basic theme (LOTS of Bladerunner - the city is going to hell and it NEVER stops raining on Mort...) and try to house-rule the mechanics for Automatic Weapons since the ones provided don't make any sense at all, and you should get along fine.I think I have heard of that one. Isn't that the game where the entire world is one huge city complex owned by a single corporation?

Xuincherguixe
2007-10-20, 06:59 AM
Shadowrun may not be a good choice since it's probably even more mystical than Star Wars. Though in a different sort of way. If you started talking about the true meaning of the Universe in the wrong place you could get you shot at.

The setting doesn't really give too many answers. And it's pretty depressing at times.

Matthew
2007-10-20, 07:45 AM
I'll chime in with HorseBoy and MrNexx. WEG's D6 Space setting, Septimus, may well be worth a look. Of course, a lot depends on exactly what you want out of your Sci Fi and how heavy you want your rules system.

DraPrime
2007-10-20, 07:47 AM
Of all the sci-fi games I've played I've always loved Don't Rest You're Head. (http://www.evilhat.com/home/?page_id=101#dryh_buyit) It's a good mix of horror and sci-fi.

InaVegt
2007-10-20, 07:51 AM
GURPS is a fairly realistic game suitable for every type of setting. It's got a pretty easy core mechanic (roll 3d6, lower than or equal to target number is success, target number is normally your skill or attribute modified for circumstances)

I believe it's pretty fit for future settings, of all types.

Ossian
2007-10-20, 07:58 AM
I loved the D6 star wars for the class-less idea, but when it came to 2 mid level jedis fighting, every round implied some 50 d6 roll...(3d6 control, 3d6 sense, 5d6 lightsaber attack, 5d6 lighsaber parry 5d6+3d6 lightsaber damage, for ONE jedi...). Anyway, I still like it. It's very cleverly designed, flexible and can be easily adapted to mot sci-fi settings.

I don't suggest Shadowrun. Beside the fact that I don't like THAT specific crossover, if you don't want things to be as mystical as in SW, you don't want stuff like "native american troll shamans of the quetzalcoatl clan" trade shots and spell pushers and gun smugglers.

Cyberpunk is OK, but it takes a lot of chop and hack from a GM. There is a serious risk that it become D&D with pistols instead of longsword and kevlar instead of mithril. Wow, players even meet + are hored by the samo old merchant to clean a castle in TAVERNS! (well they call them bars and pubs and megacorporation executives and rival megacorporation venues but still...).
The "Bladerunner" or perhaps "gibsonian" atmosphere can be rendered by a good story writing, and the same goes for your concept of Sci Fi. The rules will most definitely help you to build credible characters, and they are REALLY fast, which is always a good thing in futuristic settings

Try the RPG Archive (http://www.rpgarchive.com) for some ideas, filtering by sci-fi.

O.

Cubey
2007-10-20, 08:03 AM
Fading Suns, Fading Suns, Fading Suns!

If you don't like the mystical elements of the game, you can easily tune them down or even eliminate completely and the world will not suffer much.

And if you don't like the world, just scavenge the awesome mechanics for a different system. The rules are very good and allow very flashy, movie-like but still realistic enough actions.

MrNexx
2007-10-20, 01:49 PM
Fading Suns, Fading Suns, Fading Suns!

If you don't like the mystical elements of the game, you can easily tune them down or even eliminate completely and the world will not suffer much.

And if you don't like the world, just scavenge the awesome mechanics for a different system. The rules are very good and allow very flashy, movie-like but still realistic enough actions.

On the Fading Suns mechanics.

The base is Stat+Skill vs. d20; roll as high as possible without going over. This can make things very hard to pull off, since even in mid-ranges, you're going to run into "Half of my rolls are failures". It works somewhat better if you go with 2D10, or even 2D8. Your rolls are more likely to wind up in the middle (where a person with a high stat + skill is more likely to hang out), and you have less frequent fumbles (everything goes wrong on a 20) and mishaps (succeed but barely on a 1).

If you don't like the mystical elements, just tell the players they can't take either theurgy or psionics. It means forbidding two of the "core" alien races (the Ur-Obun and Ur-Ukar), but it works.

Totally Guy
2007-10-20, 01:56 PM
We've been playing the serenity RPG. It's been pretty good with lots of cowboy hommage.

My guy was Jasper "Jazz" Kendrew, Evil croupier turned ace pilot. Due to the assets/complications system for playing in character I had a compulsive liar with a bad temper and all plans made by this character would go wrong for plain bad luck. On the plus side he always won initiave (despite only ever using improvised weapons picked up during the fight) and was a pro at flying the ship.

We liked it so much that we've converted it to fantasy to play in place of D&D for the next campaign.

Maxymiuk
2007-10-20, 02:27 PM
The base is Stat+Skill vs. d20; roll as high as possible without going over. This can make things very hard to pull off, since even in mid-ranges, you're going to run into "Half of my rolls are failures". It works somewhat better if you go with 2D10, or even 2D8. Your rolls are more likely to wind up in the middle (where a person with a high stat + skill is more likely to hang out), and you have less frequent fumbles (everything goes wrong on a 20) and mishaps (succeed but barely on a 1).

You know, that looks like a pretty good idea. I'll have to try one of those days (if I ever manage to get a group together, that is :smallyuk: ).

Wraith
2007-10-20, 05:16 PM
I think I have heard of that one. Isn't that the game where the entire world is one huge city complex owned by a single corporation?

Pretty much, yes - apart from the parts that have turned into diseased, toxic wastelands ruled by feral monsters, flesh-eating battledroids and a legion of deranged serial killers, of course.

Oh, and before I forget - Feng Shui (Atlas Games) can do Sci-Fi too, if that's teh way you want to run it. Cyborgs + Demons + Time Travel = Room for just about anything you want.

Plus, it's a very fun system to actually play with - simple, easy, and encourages lots of silliness, albeit in a good way. :smallsmile:

Poison_Fish
2007-10-21, 06:23 AM
Anyway, I hear Alternity was a good game if you can find it. just keep in mind that this is second hand knowledge.

I'll support this second hand knowledge with first hand knowledge. Alternity was a great game. I saw was, as it's currently no longer in print. If you can find it, though, it's got a decent set of rules to lend itself to a general sci-fi game, be it cyberpunk, space opera, what have you. And if you want a campaign world, look no further then the glory of stardrive (No, not d20).

Matthew
2007-10-21, 06:40 AM
Pretty much, yes - apart from the parts that have turned into diseased, toxic wastelands ruled by feral monsters, flesh-eating battledroids and a legion of deranged serial killers, of course.

Oh, and before I forget - Feng Shui (Atlas Games) can do Sci-Fi too, if that's teh way you want to run it. Cyborgs + Demons + Time Travel = Room for just about anything you want.

Plus, it's a very fun system to actually play with - simple, easy, and encourages lots of silliness, albeit in a good way. :smallsmile:

The main Rulebook is also free to download from RPGNow: SLA Industries (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=24798&it=1)

Krrth
2007-10-21, 11:24 AM
I'm kinda fond of the classic game Space Opera. It's out of print, but I've seen several copies in various game stores. Character creation is somewhat involved, but once you get moving, it's fun.

Sundog
2007-10-21, 11:32 AM
Star Hero is the genre book for Sci-fi in HERO System. They've also released 2 setting books: Alien Wars and Terran Empire (actually, same setting, different time periods).

With SH and HERO main, you can make any setting you want, from hard sci-fi to space opera to cyber/biopunk.

drawingfreak
2007-10-21, 11:37 AM
According to ep.1 the force isn't as mistical as you'd think. THE PREQUELS NEVER HAPPENED! Oh. Wow. What happened there? Sorry. The fan boy in me took over for a second.

Star Wars is a fun RP. D20 Future gives you more freedom in terms of setting. Shadowrun is interesting. Haven't played enough of it to give a full critique but I enjoyed it.

I've LARPed Fading Suns thrice. It was fun, but is entirely different from tabletop, I'm sure.

And of course, there is Serenity. Blow those Alliance purple bellies back to the central planets where they belong. Survive impossible odds against Reavers. Make enough bread to live out in the Black. :smallbiggrin:

Omniplex
2007-10-21, 11:49 AM
I like GURPS, for the versatility of the system, and I've heard good things about Alternity.