PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Large combat calculator

Jasder
2019-12-05, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know of a good site, resource, download, etc. that would allow you to calculate for larger combats more easily.

What I mean is, say I have 20 goblins vs 20 kobolds, I want to put in the goblin stats and attack, put in the kobolds ac and hp, roll for the goblins turn attacking, and be told how many kobolds died, or at least how much damage they took. And then I could put in the kobolds stats to calculate the kobolds turn.

I'm not talking proper mass combat, or like 1000 or whatever units, that I'd just do with average rolls and stuff, just larger combats, where rolling for each individual would really take too long, but I still want to know how it's actually progressing.

https://slyflourish.com/mob_calculator.html This is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for, but it doesn't quite work for two groups of mobs attacking each other.

https://extras.matteoferla.com/dnd This is a bit too statistical, better for figuring out the expected outcome of fights, but that's not what I want, because sometimes randomness is fun, plus it makes some assumptions I don't necessarily want, and doesn't really work for one turn at a time.

Anyone know of anything like what I'm looking for?

Bobthewizard
2019-12-05, 11:29 AM
Here's what I've used for gladiator tournaments.

"If you need to speed up a match, you can use this formula instead of round by round combat to determine winner of each match: Each participant adds ACx2 + HP + THP + initiative + to hit bonus + max damage/round + 1/2 of a one time spell or ability, and one round of recurring damage spell or ability. Then each side adds 2d20 to the total and highest total wins. For a tournament, you could have every participant do this once and then determine the places, narrating the combats as needed."

For a mob fight, you could roll 2d20 for each participant (or for larger combats, use one set to represent groups of 10, 50, 100, 1000, etc.), and then narrate the deaths from the lowest total to the highest.

If 3 goblins scored higher than the highest kobold, then 3 goblins survive the fight. If all of the goblins score higher than the highest kobold, then they wiped them out without taking any losses.

You'd know the results at the beginning and then could narrate around by round, killing off the participants from the lowest to highest score. You could also take out the bottom half once and then recalculate if you wanted to, where each roll represents at least 3-4 rounds of combat.

Jasder
2019-12-05, 12:22 PM
See, that's a good system, but it doesn't quite fit what I'm looking for, because I want something I can use turn by turn.

You see, in my current campaign the players often have a small force of NPC's helping them, and fighting larger forces, so I want something where I can figure out the impact the NPC's have, while still being able to adjust for what the players do. Like, if the players see the NPC's doing badly, they might buff them, or heal them, and that would affect the final result, which is why I want something I can use for each turn, rather than just to figure out the final combat result.

MaxWilson
2019-12-05, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know of a good site, resource, download, etc. that would allow you to calculate for larger combats more easily.

What I mean is, say I have 20 goblins vs 20 kobolds, I want to put in the goblin stats and attack, put in the kobolds ac and hp, roll for the goblins turn attacking, and be told how many kobolds died, or at least how much damage they took. And then I could put in the kobolds stats to calculate the kobolds turn.

I'm not talking proper mass combat, or like 1000 or whatever units, that I'd just do with average rolls and stuff, just larger combats, where rolling for each individual would really take too long, but I still want to know how it's actually progressing.

https://slyflourish.com/mob_calculator.html This is the closest I've found to what I'm looking for, but it doesn't quite work for two groups of mobs attacking each other.

https://extras.matteoferla.com/dnd This is a bit too statistical, better for figuring out the expected outcome of fights, but that's not what I want, because sometimes randomness is fun, plus it makes some assumptions I don't necessarily want, and doesn't really work for one turn at a time.

Anyone know of anything like what I'm looking for?

If you set up a combat in Kobold.club and then hit the "Run In Improved Initiative" button, it gives you something quite like what you're looking for.

Ventruenox
2019-12-05, 12:53 PM
When I ran Dralnu's Army of the Damned adventure, there was a scenario with mass combat including the PCs. Dralnu took some inspiration from the 13th Age's PC-Focused Mass Combat Rules (https://site.pelgranepress.com/index.php/13th-sage-pc-focused-mass-combat-rules/). My players were able to focus on their own combats, yet feel as though they were included as part of a larger force.

Effectively, you create a table of possible help and hindrance mechanical effects that could happen every round. No need to keep track of all the forces, you can keep them as background narrative and focus on the PCs.