PDA

View Full Version : Genie Sorcerer build

stewstew5
2019-12-05, 11:12 AM
In a campaign I'm running, my backup character (My current one is a wild magic sorc, so I've got to be prepared) will be a young genie who attaches herself to one of the party members and grants their wishes to the best of her ability. All official content is allowed, and UA or homebrew just need some quick review to get in (presuming they're balanced), but I'd rather keep it in published books.

So far, she's an air genasi + Sorcerer.
I can't decide between divine soul (more creation & control heavy spells, but she's not a healer) and storm (nice air themeing, but too focused on weather + i already know primordial)

AS well, the only spells that are for certain are prestidigitation and wish

clash
2019-12-05, 11:31 AM
The following spells can be very wish/genie themed:
0: minor illusion, mending, mage hand, shape water, mold earth
1: Feather fall, disguise self, silent image
2: Alter self, Enhance Ability, Invisibility
3: Fly, Major Image, Dispel Magic, Counterspell, Water breathing, Water walk

stewstew5
2019-12-05, 12:24 PM
The following spells can be very wish/genie themed:
0: minor illusion, mending, mage hand, shape water, mold earth
1: Feather fall, disguise self, silent image
2: Alter self, Enhance Ability, Invisibility
3: Fly, Major Image, Dispel Magic, Counterspell, Water breathing, Water walk

Mold earth especially, since you can colour some stone yellow and hoc it to a naiive shopkeep for immense riches
Thanks for the ideas

sophontteks
2019-12-05, 01:06 PM
You'll also want subtle spell to make it appear a natural ability instead of a spell. You don't have to cast a spell at all, it just happens spontaneously. It's a great metamagic all round too.

Ventruenox
2019-12-05, 01:23 PM
I remember playing a Sha'ir way back in 2nd edition. A lot of people have attempted to bring it to 5th edition via homebrew, with varying results. I did find one version (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7De7nmmt1lkF4hDAQJ/-L7DgR3eKve7JQbftBVg) that felt flavorful and balanced. Have you considered a Warlock with a Genie Patron as the chassis for your character instead of a Sorcerer?

stewstew5
2019-12-05, 04:53 PM
I remember playing a Sha'ir way back in 2nd edition. A lot of people have attempted to bring it to 5th edition via homebrew, with varying results. I did find one version (https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L7De7nmmt1lkF4hDAQJ/-L7DgR3eKve7JQbftBVg) that felt flavorful and balanced. Have you considered a Warlock with a Genie Patron as the chassis for your character instead of a Sorcerer?

I do have a homebrew genie patron I made (believe it or not I get the urge to do this often), but my DM is fairly new and has a poor sense of balance with me as his only judge, so I dont want to put something in and have the rest of the party (who are also fairly new) feel underpowered or like its unfair