PDA

View Full Version : Notes as a player, mine are a mess, how do you take yours?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-12-05, 04:19 PM
During sessions in large world homebrew or Curse of Strahd or Storm King's Thunder type campaigns as a player I try to take some notes. Usually I end up with pages of legible but nonsensical sentences about random things including tavern and barkeeper names. They're there, its just a thing to try to organize it.

I was thinking about switching to a split of location notes vs NPC notes.

What methods do you all use? I sorta want to keep mine together so I have some idea where we met whoever.

Imbalance
2019-12-05, 04:35 PM
Best I've done is some dungeon mapping that ends up looking like a single-line flow diagram. I can actually remember names pretty well, but irl I forget which face goes with which name - less of a problem when they all look like the DM.

Much harder is trying to keep objectives straight without a journal. I'm learning.

Misterwhisper
2019-12-05, 05:09 PM
The players all have a google doc open as we play to take notes on.

We have a battle mat for maps and things that is usually prepared ahead of time if the layout is known or the players fill it in as they explore.

We have a tv on the wall that we chrome cast to if there is something big the group needs like a city map or a letter or something.

The dm has everything on dnd beyond and the players keep a window up for it.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-12-05, 06:57 PM
In game I prefer to keep a pretty clean table but just last week I copied my SKT notes to Google Sheets. I like spreadsheets lol. Funny you mentioned that! Going through my notes was getting to be a pain and I can use Google Drive on my phone w/o having a laptop taking up table space. Plus I can share and my party can read my writing.

Misterwhisper, what all does your DM keep on D&D beyond? Or how detailed do they get? I don't want to hold ppl's hands or make it less enjoyable for them.

Sigreid
2019-12-05, 07:00 PM
We have a member of the group that takes great notes. Great in that they get the gist of what was going on and are freaking hilarious. Read them after just for fun.

nickl_2000
2019-12-05, 08:19 PM
My Current DM is a pretty darn good writer, he records the session on a small recorder. Then between sessions, he turns it into a story with a little bit extra filled in. Not only is it super fun to have the book of the adventure, but it's also a great way to look back and find out what happened.

Darkstar952
2019-12-06, 06:52 AM
My notes tend to reflect the character I am playing, high intelligence wizard makes reasonably well structured/detailed notes about most things, while my fighter makes very few notes and those only of details that are of interest to him.

stoutstien
2019-12-06, 10:06 AM
In college I learned steno style shorthand. Been a huge boon for note taking on both sides of the screen

da newt
2019-12-06, 10:44 AM
My during session notes are a grab bag of facts / crap. The most useful thing for me is to go back over my in session notes soon after playing and transcribe those into notes I want to keep. It helps me separate the BS from the stuff I want to keep, It allows me to organize it, and a second pass really helps my retention (I have a crap memory for specifics, so I rely on my notes for reference). I'm a Luddite, so this is all on paper - loose leaf 3 ring binder so I can add or remove stuff easily.

In the other group I play with, one of the other players takes good notes and has a great memory - so I don't even bother, they act as my notes.

Demonslayer666
2019-12-06, 11:17 AM
... The most useful thing for me is to go back over my in session notes soon after playing and transcribe those into notes I want to keep. ...

I do this too, as soon as I can after the session, and it helps a lot.

I take notes on a per session basis, notebook and pencil, I keep track of session number and the date we played. I underline names in my notes, and put marks in the margin for important things. I write up a "story so far" in google docs, and I can give it to any players that missed the session.

This makes it easy for me to give a recap and provide names.

KorvinStarmast
2019-12-06, 11:28 AM
Used to have a 5x8 stenographer's notebook. I was the chronicle keeper for our group. After about four sessions we began to call it "the Chronicle of the Damned" - it grew to seven steno notebooks.

Probably had the makings of a decent short story except for one small problem: during a move in the 90's the box it was in disappeared, as did the my original Chivalry and Sorcery book. :smallfurious:

jjordan
2019-12-06, 11:50 AM
Depends on the game. I prefer to use a Google doc but you can't always do that at a table. Regardless of the medium I take lots of notes and then I go back over them at the end of the session and put them into a usable format. I share most of my notes with the other players and invite them to make additions/comments (yay, Google Docs) but they mostly don't. I look on the journal as being a gaming bonus for me.

Addaran
2019-12-06, 05:47 PM
I was expecting everyone to answer like me, since that's what i see most of my friends do ( or take zero notes).

I just write the name of characters without any infos as well as city names. Might also write short notes for mission like "kill Tazok" or " recover magic staff"
Everything is all mixed, so sometimes i'll think that i need to kill Tazok in Highfield, but Highfield is just the town we visited a month ago.

Grognerd
2019-12-06, 07:13 PM
It varies, but I never use a computer to take notes at the table. Most of what I do at the table as a player are chicken scratch notes with rather haphazard organization.

Luckily I have a fairly good memory, though, so after the fact (usually within a few days, sometimes slightly longer) if I am inclined to do so, I write up the notes "in character" as first-person missives to seniors in organizational hierarchies or journals.

Pufferwockey
2019-12-07, 02:22 PM
The players all have a google doc open as we play to take notes on.

We have a battle mat for maps and things that is usually prepared ahead of time if the layout is known or the players fill it in as they explore.

We have a tv on the wall that we chrome cast to if there is something big the group needs like a city map or a letter or something.

The dm has everything on dnd beyond and the players keep a window up for it.

I nearly puked in fury that I never thought of this