PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Fighter: Battle Master vs Samurai

Expected
2019-12-05, 06:51 PM
Between these two Fighter Archetypes, which is better for raw DPR using Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter? UA, including the recent class feature variants, is allowed. Also, which race is optimized between Wood Elf's 17 Dex (+EA) and VHuman's two 16's (+Feat at level 1)? I will sometimes have to be in melee range so I will be prioritizing scores like so: Dex > Con > Wis > Str/Int/Cha (Samurai gets to add Wis to Persuasion).

Dork_Forge
2019-12-05, 07:03 PM
Between these two Fighter Archetypes, which is better for raw DPR using Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter? UA, including the recent class feature variants, is allowed. Also, which race is optimized between Wood Elf's 17 Dex (+EA) and VHuman's two 16's (+Feat at level 1)? I will sometimes have to be in melee range so I will be prioritizing scores like so: Dex > Con > Wis > Str/Int/Cha (Samurai gets to add Wis to Persuasion).

Samurais main ability it nice, but since it uses a bonus action it conflicts with CBE's bonus attack. For this specific build I'd weigh the battlemaster over the samurai just because of the versatility and action economy of maneuvers. I'd also rate V Human over Wood Elf, getting one of your feats at first level brings the build online earlier and doesn't hurt your stat progression so much. The bonus damage of maneuvers should also push the DPR well clear of samurai (crits don't really matter much on a CBE+SS build, your damage is primarily static numbers).

Bobthewizard
2019-12-05, 07:23 PM
I agree with Dark Forge and like battle master over samurai due to bonus action competition.

Early game, Variant human wins over elf. CBE at 1 then sharpshooter, then DEX, DEX gets both feats and 20 DEX by level 8.

Elf takes elven accuracy, CBE, Sharpshooter by level 8, then DEX to 20 at level 12. At that point, elven accuracy and darkvision are likely better than Variant human with a 3rd feat. Even at level 8, you could argue that elven accuracy and 18 DEX is better than the variant human's 20 DEX, but I don't know the math. I'd say the human probably wins until level 12.

For elf subrace, I like Shadar-Kai better for this than wood elf. Free teleport 1/LR, necrotic resistance, and +1 CON.

Yunru
2019-12-05, 07:28 PM
Elf Samurai have the best Nova at level 6 of all Fighters.
Longbow, Elven Accuracy and Sharpshooter.
Action Surge and Fighting Spirit on the same turn, then attack.

Protolisk
2019-12-05, 07:38 PM
I'll chime in with the lack of needing crossbow master for Elven Accuracy, as bonus actions will be in high demand as a samurai for Fighting Spirit.

The way I see it, though, it depends a little on two things: pacing of the campaign and team work.

For pacing, if short rests are a plenty, Battlemaster is the way to go. Recharging those dice when other classes have spell slots on long rests feel great. But if the campaign is a one fight a day/long rest, I'd stick more to Samurai, as it can pump up advantage over most rounds in a single combat.

Second, party tactics. If you have regular advantage from allies, via spells or a restraining grappler, then Battle master gets that much sweeter. Getting advantage from Fighting Spirit and an ally is no net increase. Getting advantage and superiority dice? A winning combination.

In general, I also prefer the Battle Master for DPS, as they can use Precision as a maneuver, but after they roll the d20 for attack, so they can conserve their dice for more interesting effects on top of damage.