PDA

View Full Version : What are the "Four Southern Nations" the Azurites sought aid from? (book spoilers)

Procyonpi
2019-12-05, 07:03 PM
I strip 501 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html), Hinjo mentions that Azurites went to four southern Nations seeking aid, and there is a one-panel illustration for each one. Since we like to over analyze stuff on this forum and we have a map of the Southern Continent from GDGU, I thought it would be fun to try to figure out which nation each panel is illustrating. Spoilers from GDGU and SSaDT below.

-The second panel is fairly obviously the Ghostlands, because, you know, the Ghost in it.
-The guy in the third panel looks pretty much exactly like one of the advisors from the Realm of the Dragon strip in SSaDT. Dude did get eaten by the Emperor and the Azurites and the Realm weren't exactly great allies per How the Paladin Got His Scar, but it's unclear if the SSaDT strip is even canon and Hinjo might have went to them anyways because he was desperate, so that's still the most likely possibility for that panel.
-The two other nations on the GDGU map are the Raja Kingdom and the Peripheral Frontier. My rough guess is that the first panel is the Peripheral Frontier and the fourth panel is the Raja Kingdom by process of elimination because the first panel has trees, but those are the two I have the weakest basis for.

Thoughts?

Emanick
2019-12-05, 08:38 PM
A Raja (or, as I've more often seen it spelled, "Rajah") was a ruler in India during the period before the British Empire took over. As such, I assume that the India-themed place in the fourth panel, with the guy in a jeweled turban and an elephant-person (presumably a Loxo), is the Raja Kingdom, as you assumed. Therefore, the place in the first panel is probably the Peripheral Frontier.

The other two, as you've said, seem pretty clear.

ti'esar
2019-12-06, 07:32 PM
FWIW, the SSaDT strip probably can be taken as canon, as it provides a handy explanation for why the Realm of the Dragon is relevant in O-Chul's backstory but not in the present day - the red dragon emperor died and was replaced by the younger, less intelligent white dragon emperor, so the nation's no longer an aggressive threat because it's got troubles of its own.

woweedd
2019-12-06, 09:48 PM
Looking at the panels, i'd guess....expies of Indonesia(?), China, Nepal, and India, to match their Japan expy. At least, I think that was Rich's thought process.

Mitth'raw'nuruo
2019-12-07, 02:47 PM
Crackpot theory.

Drazi Freehold
Yolu Ingyo
Brakiri Syndicracy
Iksha Baronies

Ron Miel
2019-12-08, 06:24 AM
The King of Anywhere has a beard, so he could be #3.

HorizonWalker
2019-12-08, 03:46 PM
The King of Anywhere has a beard, so he could be #3.

Nah, Anywhere is up on the Northern Continent.

Squire Doodad
2019-12-08, 05:41 PM
Nah, Anywhere is up on the Northern Continent.

They have a small colony along the coast of the Southern Continent though, they used to trade with Azure City all the time back in Shojo's day.