PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything in Wayfinder's that isn't in Rising from the Last War?

Spriteless
2019-12-05, 09:39 PM
I know Way has less artificer subclasses. But does Way include any lore, fluff, worldbuilding, or other synonym for story text that isn't in Rising?

MaxWilson
2019-12-05, 11:39 PM
I know Way has less artificer subclasses. But does Way include any lore, fluff, worldbuilding, or other synonym for story text that isn't in Rising?

I didn't buy Way but I bought Rising, read the section on Aberrant Dragonmarks, and went looking for more info... Some of the additional info I found was attributed to Way (although much more was directly from Keith Baker) so I think the answer must be "yes, there is some."

T.G. Oskar
2019-12-06, 02:36 AM

There's a lot of changes in terms of mechanics, but for the most part Wayfinder's takes a lot from previous editions. Perhaps the biggest fluff change is that of Changelings - originally, they were descendants of humans and doppleganger, but come RftLW, changelings are the originals, and dopplegangers are their twisted cousins, turned such by the Daelkyr. (IIRC, it's Dyrrn the Corruptor that did so.) That said, most fluff remains the same - Warforged are still made by House Cannith (though based off earlier design found in Xen'drik), Kalashtar are still escaping from the Dreaming Dark, and so forth.

Well, there's also the tidbit about Lady Illmarrow.

She's actually Erandis Vol. That's a big change, since originally they didn't mention much about her, but apparently she's upgraded to such a point that she's even got stats and a place where she's located. That bit of fluff appears when you read about Lady Illmarrow's identity, where they explicitly mention she's Erandis.

This is big, because they're placing Lady Illmarrow as the force behind the Blood of Vol, and if you know your old Eberron content, you know that the main force behind it is Erandis Vol.

The main changes are mechanical, though - Dragonmarks losing some of their benefits (Mark of Finding loses its ability to track people for 1/day no-conc. Hunter's Mark, Mark of Passage loses the ability to move through difficult terrain while Dashing and 5 ft. off its enhanced speed, Mark of Sentinel loses the Blade Ward cantrip AND has Vigilant Guardian reduced to 1/long rest, which makes it all but worthless, Mark of Shadow loses the ability to Hide as a bonus action), the Ring of Shared Suffering is MIA (which is a kick in the nads for fans of the Mark of Sentinel like me, since it's basically trying to remove the ability to use Warding Bond on anything BUT casters - great for Eldritch Knights and Paladins, not so great for Barbs and non-EK Fighters, in particular Cavaliers)...and that's off the top of my mind. (Oh wait - Changelings lost Unsettling Visage, except that Changeling NPCs keep it, and that debacle about Warforged no longer having subraces and Integrated Protection being nerfed, and Artificer no longer having free Extra Attack, instead applying only to Battle Smiths which are new.)