PDA

View Full Version : Artificer/Warlock Blade Pact Interaction.

Khrysaes
2019-12-06, 08:13 AM
So, I was looking into making a gunslinger/blood hunter based on bloodborne earlier, when I had a thought. It may have been covered, and I don't have time to look so here it is possibly again.

Warlock Pact of the blade says:
You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. ...
The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. ...

Artificer says:
Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch a non-magical object and imbue it with one of your artificer infusions, turning it into a magic item.

So, presumably, since an Arti makes a magic weapon, say with repeating shot, returning, +1, radiant, etc.

Then the Warlock can make it their pact weapon.

Nothng says anything about the pact ending if the weapon is no longer magical, which isn't exclusive to artificer infusions.

am I reading that correctly? Is this a way to get a warlock a magic bow/crossbow without an invocation?

Wildarm
2019-12-06, 09:23 AM
Yes that interaction should work though it may be DM dependant. They could say the pact fails if you don't infuse your weapon anymore.

Why would you though. Infusion makes a +1 repeating weapon. Pact of Blade can make it your pact weapon. Eldritch machine gun(musket) for the win! Eldritch Smite for when you really need to put something down with some AP rounds.

Khrysaes
2019-12-06, 12:07 PM
Yes that interaction should work though it may be DM dependant. They could say the pact fails if you don't infuse your weapon anymore.

Why would you though. Infusion makes a +1 repeating weapon. Pact of Blade can make it your pact weapon. Eldritch machine gun(musket) for the win! Eldritch Smite for when you really need to put something down with some AP rounds.

My thoughts were more about team play than self sufficiency. As the interaction would allow a walorck to get part of an invocation feature for essentially free(ability to use ranged weapons) although it does lose the versatility.

Anderlith
2019-12-06, 02:19 PM
Not to knock your initial idea but why not fluff Eldritch Blast as your sidearm?

Khrysaes
2019-12-06, 02:25 PM
Not to knock your initial idea but why not fluff Eldritch Blast as your sidearm?

If I wanted a gunslinger styled character based on a warlock I would.

This thought occurred while I was looking at something else, but wasn't actually part of the build consideration, Though Repeating shot artificer/Gunslinger was.