PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying (in Character) Articles of Agreement for D&D

Lyracian
2019-12-06, 10:27 AM
Salutations Readers,

About a year ago I was reading a post about people having a contract for their players and, at the time, I thought this seemed a silly idea. Since then I have started in another game where some players, and the DM, seem to think it is fine for the first person to grab a magic item to keep it! which made me think perhaps there is a need for some sort of contract?

Now I have seen a few people post length legal contracts but I wanted to something more like a pirate code (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_code); a dozen or less bullet points to govern the conduct of the party and distribute treasure equitably. I thought I would share what I wrote in case the hive mind has any suggestions for improvement. The intent is for it to be a document the characters, not the players, sign in game.

"an engagement" seemed a better term than Adventure to describe the game.

Articles of Agreement for the Free Company

1st: Every person has a vote in affairs of moment and receives one equal shares of the plunder.

2nd: It is severely prohibited to every one to usurp anything, in particular to themselves. We make a solemn oath to each other not to abscond, or conceal the least thing they find during an engagement. If afterwards any one is found unfaithful, who has contravened the said oath, they immediately shall lose their share and be turned out of the Company with forfeiture of all possessions.

3rd: Any person found pilfering money or goods from the company or its members will suffer the same punishment as in the former Article.

4th: That if any person lose his life in time of engagement or in the Companys service, his share shall be paid to his attorney for the use of his family or friend.

5th: Good Quarters to be given when craved.

6th: A Person that is proved a coward in time of engagement shall lose his share.

7th: That the company shall out of the plunder taken pay for the healer’s chest and set aside an agreed amount to provide provisions and lodgings for those contracted. Every person has equal title to the provisions and liquors unless a scarcity makes it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

8th: All remaining plunder, be it jewels, goods or any other thing whatsoever to the value of one piece of silver, will be sold and the coin distributed. Members of the company may choice to buy items being sold for the price the company would receive. If more than one person wants an item it will be auctioned.

If you want to be more evil
9th article: We declares as enemies all those who are not part of this company. We permits the use of force or guile to take their goods, commands each man to give no consideration or mercy to anyone and to put to death any who resist or defend themselves, even his own kin.

da newt
2019-12-06, 12:10 PM
A Code of Conduct for a Party/Gang could be handy. Any self respecting thieves guild has a code. Organized Crime syndicates all have rules.

There are certainly times I've been tempted to call out other party members for acting against the best interest of the team that an agreement like this would have helped delineate what our party ethos was or what was or was not acceptable.

I'd RP it's drafting and ratification. I'd probably argue that a 2/3 or 4/5 majority was required to ratify, and insure it includes guidelines for new members, ramifications of violations, and amendments. Of course if the narrative includes a patron, they could dictate terms.

Some parties could embrace this idea, and others may hate it - neither would be 'right' or 'wrong.'

Randomthom
2019-12-06, 01:02 PM
Rule 1. Don't be a ****

Rule 2. See Rule 1

Rule 3. Seriously, don't get it yet? See Rule 2.

BloodOgre
2019-12-06, 02:37 PM
I wish I'd had these rules when I was DMing a bunch of 13/14 year olds.

Anderlith
2019-12-06, 02:54 PM
I usually do Letters of Mark when doing civilized adventure like this hose found in Eberron. I’ll sometimes do a Round Robin for pirate stuff, once did a full mercenary contract, & such. I say theme it around the style of adventure you want.

Sigreid
2019-12-06, 03:09 PM
I prefer to play with people who dont need these rules.

Lyracian
2019-12-06, 03:23 PM
I prefer to play with people who dont need these rules.
I did consider dropping out of the game but I quite like most of the players. Our previous games were AL so treasure distribution was not an issue. All the local groups quit AL with the rules changes though so that is not an option any more. I figured I would give this a try before quitting.

Sigreid
2019-12-06, 03:29 PM
I did consider dropping out of the game but I quite like most of the players. Our previous games were AL so treasure distribution was not an issue. All the local groups quit AL with the rules changes though so that is not an option any more. I figured I would give this a try before quitting.

Have you considered saying "shouldn't we make sure the loot makes the groug as a whole strong as possible instead of everyone just getting grabby?"

Btw, I agree that the DM should be ok with however the party divides up the loot. That's a player thing he shouldn't do more than observe.

HappyDaze
2019-12-06, 04:04 PM
A Code of Conduct for a Party/Gang could be handy. Any self respecting thieves guild has a code. Organized Crime syndicates all have rules.

Well, more like guidelines really...

Lyracian
2019-12-06, 04:34 PM
Have you considered saying "shouldn't we make sure the loot makes the groug as a whole strong as possible instead of everyone just getting grabby?"Not quite those words but I tried that.

Btw, I agree that the DM should be ok with however the party divides up the loot. That's a player thing he shouldn't do more than observe.I agree it is not the DM's job to tell the party how to distribute loot but I do see them as part of the problem when there answer is "roll initiative" and someone who is 30' away gets to pick up stuff quicker than the person 5' away.

I do not have any problems in the two games I run but this is the only one I am playing in at the moment.

Callak_Remier
2019-12-06, 05:16 PM
I present to you the Steel cloaks (my current
group) agreement.

Party Accord
Article 1. Party Composition
Member addition or expulsion requires unanimous consent from all current Members. During expulsion
votes, the Member in question is denied his vote.
Article 2. Inactivity
In the event of inactivity on the part of a Member (death, illness, absence, capture, petrification, or trans
dimensional shift), the inactive Member may have their benefits suspended by unanimous consent of the
remaining Members no earlier than after one fortnight of inactivity. Until such time, the remaining members
must do everything in their power to return the absent member to good standing, which includes using all
Party Funds to achieve this goal. In the event of irreversible Death or 1 month of absence, all personal
wealth and the deceased Member’s Quest payment will be given to a beneficiary of their designation.
Article 3. Quests
The acceptance of any Quest requires a majority vote among all active Party Members.
The abandonment of any Quest requires a unanimous vote among all conscious Members
Article 4. Amendments
At any meeting of a full contingent of Members the terms of this pact may be amended and are retroactively
active to the offense that prompted the amendment. Ratification of the amendment must be unanimous
Article 5. Funds
All valuables (non magical) will be kept under lock and key as "Party Funds". This fund can be used to
purchase equipment, goods, services, lodgings, real-estate, transportation, food or drink. But any purchase
using Party Funds must benefit the Party as a whole or be in relation to an active Quest. All purchases with
Party Funds remain the property of the Party.
All payments for completed Quests will be divvied equally to the Party and are the personal property of the
Member, and thus can be spent without restriction.
At any time a portion of Party Funds may be distributed equally as payment through a unanimous vote.
Article 6. Magic items
Items found are property of the Party and their use is encourage to benefit the Party as a whole.
Assignment of items is based on greatest benefit to the Party. Each interested Member will put forth their
case for wanting said item. If there is more than one deserving Member, the claimants may negotiate and
offer items, cash, or a future boons to the counter-claimant. If no decision can be made through timely
negotiation, the decision is left to chance.
Items may transfer from the Party to individual possession at fair market value, but must be agreed upon by
majority vote and must be paid for with personal funds.
Article 7. Discovery
Each Member is required to honestly divulge any findings of value to within a platinum piece. Failure to do
so can result in a cumulative 2% Share penalty.
Article 8. Member Conduct
Members must not willfully withhold information vital to the survival or profitability of the Party
Members must not actively harm the Party’s reputation, finances or physical manifestations
Carousing shall take place between contracts, and in such a manner as to not reflect poorly on the Party.
Article 9. Benefits of Membership
An equal vote on all Party business (except self concerned expulsion)
An equal share of Party payments, and access to the Party’s belongings
Access to an adventuring Party for any personal issues that may arise
Access to Member skills. Tradework that does not directly benefit the Party or further the current Quest will
be paid at half market cost out of personal funds and will be carried out at the earliest convenience.

stoutstien
2019-12-06, 05:45 PM
Nothing Wrong with it but it won't address player issues. This sounds more like player action conflict not character problems.

Undyne
2019-12-06, 05:50 PM
I honestly do this as well- its important, ESPECIALLY in more dark or serious games- Set everyones boundaries so no one is uncomfortable or the DM is playing favorites.

Lyracian
2019-12-06, 05:50 PM
I present to you the Steel cloaks (my current
group) agreement.
That is great. Thank you.

JackPhoenix
2019-12-06, 09:28 PM
Remember that the contract is only as good as your ability to enforce it. If your group is full of CN(E) anuses only in it for themselves, you can lay down whatever rules you like, but they are more likely to stick together in ignoring them than turning on each other to enforce it. After all "I'm CN, I don't care about rules" is standard view of such players.

Lyracian
2019-12-07, 02:41 AM
Remember that the contract is only as good as your ability to enforce it. If your group is full of CN(E) anuses only in it for themselves, you can lay down whatever rules you like, but they are more likely to stick together in ignoring them than turning on each other to enforce it. After all "I'm CN, I don't care about rules" is standard view of such players.
Sure I know the Rogue will ignore it every chance she gets. The Paladin and Monk are both NG but being new players I do not think they know any better. This is the first ever RPG for one of them. I am wanting to show them in-character reasons for us to work as a team before the game completely implodes.

ThatoneGuy84
2019-12-07, 03:34 PM
We have a similar agreement (bound by the "adventures guild" that also takes a cut in profits (10% value equivilant to be paid)
The last player that got caught stealing/hiding from the group from his "chaotic nature" found out that sharing is better then having nothing and being pitched into a dungeon.

Most us as players just treat loot as split or "who is this useful for."
Noone gets a second magic item till everyone has a first. No matter what, so sometimes people that want items right away end up with the worst of the loot.

HappyDaze
2019-12-07, 04:55 PM
It's amusing to see so many rigid sets of rules considering how chaotic most PCs (IME) often tend to be. It also feels very metagame how much these focus on "equal shares/votes for all" when such arrangements fail to consider how manipulative (not meant in a negative way) the characters' social skills might be in negotiating terms (a Cha 16 person proficient in Persuasion should be coming out well ahead of the Cha 8 character without proficiency in Persuasion). Because of these two things, these feel way too much like trying to have an in-character fix for out-of-character bad behavior, and I don't think that ever ends well.

Pex
2019-12-07, 05:48 PM
It's a great idea. I don't want to play with people who need this written down. They'll ignore it anyway.

On the bright side its existence in a playing group may cause the player in question not to join or leave after Session 1.

Lyracian
2019-12-08, 04:12 AM
On the bright side its existence in a playing group may cause the player in question not to join or leave after Session 1.
Here’s hoping!

napoleon_in_rag
2019-12-08, 08:59 AM
From Chapter 2 of "The Hobbit":

“Thorin and Company to Burglar Bilbo greeting! For your hospitality our sincerest thanks, and for your offer of professional assistance our grateful acceptance. Terms: cash on delivery, up to and not exceeding one fourteenth of total profits (if any); all travelling expenses guaranteed in any event; funeral expenses to be defrayed by us or our representatives, if occasion arises and the matter is not otherwise arranged for.

Thinking it unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, we have proceeded in advance to make requisite preparations, and shall await your respected person at the Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at 11 a.m. sharp. Trusting that you will be punctual,

We have the honour to remain
Yours deeply
Thorin & Co.”

napoleon_in_rag
2019-12-08, 09:01 AM
I will say this for it - its a good alignment test and roleplaying opportunity. A Lawful Character is at least going to obey the letter of the contract. A Chaotic Character will ignore it whenever necessary.

zinycor
2019-12-08, 09:40 AM
edited out.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-12-09, 01:05 PM
I'd go over each point with the party before you start playing, out of character. The whole point to a contract isn't really to make bad players behave so much as to unanimously agree what kind of game you're playing.

Like, how silly is too silly? How serious is too serious? How dark is too dark? What level of PvP is acceptable? What's the party's general disposition going to be like? Is it going to wreck anything if someone plays an extreme evil, or even extreme good? Are people going to take roles like 'face', and are they going to be sacred or can anyone interrupt whenever they'd like? How's loot going to get divided? Who pays for party finances? Is anybody going to draw maps? How about take notes?

The DM should also be privy to this conversation. It's really insightful.