PDA

View Full Version : Advice on animal companion roles?

Reprimand
2019-12-06, 11:10 AM
So in my current game I'm getting ready to play an urban druid and the party is all pretty much taking a shared background as employee's of a magical university.

My DM has allowed me to refluff a wolf as a German Shepard medium-large sized Dog and is letting me get all my tricks based on my companions int mod (so 6) plus my bonus tricks immediately.

What are the best uses of tricks and minor investment in items for a dog type companion? My character is taking on a research librarian role at the university so I was thinking I might have my companion take on some minor service animal type tricks such as track, fetch, etc in addition to some tricks that might make it more investigation / stealth oriented maybe.

While were at it what are some good things I can do to make a druid more investigative and subtle. I generally am pretty good at playing a low-profile character but some minor druid specific advice would be fantastic!

EDIT: Sorry int score x 3 I was doing some math in my head of like 2 x 3 + 2 and wrote down the incorrect word.
I was reading about some other tricks like ambush or another one that was like an advanced option for guard. Considering work trick for manipulating objects such as levers, pulling ropes or dragging bodies etc.

Remuko
2019-12-06, 01:09 PM
My DM has allowed me to refluff a wolf as a German Shepard medium-large sized Dog and is letting me get all my tricks based on my companions int mod (so 6)

Int MOD? Your dog has an Int Score of 22 or 23?

Clementx
2019-12-06, 04:44 PM
Int MOD? Your dog has an Int Score of 22 or 23?

If the dog got into college, it follows.

Hellpyre
2019-12-06, 07:52 PM
As far as the six tricks for INT score 2, I recommend Attack, Defend, Come, Heel, Track, and Seek. The bonus tricks beyond that are really just gravy.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-12-06, 08:43 PM
As far as the six tricks for INT score 2, I recommend Attack, Defend, Come, Heel, Track, and Seek. The bonus tricks beyond that are really just gravy.

Attack again for one of them. Otherwise the AC won't swing at abberation, oozes, or a couple other types.

Reprimand
2019-12-06, 11:43 PM
The formula is based on his int score rather. Int score x3 = The base number of tricks +2 bonus tricks for druid level 3
I made a number of errors there I apologize.

Basically I wanted to train this dog for basic combat along with some utility things that would be useful since I can speak with animal to specify specific objects to fetch. or use the work trick to manipulate a specific lever etc. Beyond that I wanted them to have some good options for ambushing maybe?

I don't know of lot of the good sources for druids since they can mostly be played core fine anyway I just want to know how to best utilize my companion in a civilized setting.
As well as maybe some tips for playing a druid as more of an infiltrator / agent type scoundrel