PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sorcerer with "some" houserules

Trandir
2019-12-06, 12:10 PM
So my party is constantly getting into weird situations for stupid reasons and gets out of them with even dumber solutions.
I am playing a regular adventurer, paranoid and with some knowledge of most camps. Enough to say that if we try to blackmail the daughter of the emperor saying that we hold her baby dragon after her handmaid, which was in charge of both supervising us and babysitting the dragon, may or may not have been killed by us. A diviner would be able to find us and then the imperial army would have our heads. And other random stuff that any adventurer worth his salt would know.

That isn't fun so I am going to swap the PC since we ended our last quest.

And I will play a wild magic sorcerer.

It would begin at 4th level with Point Buy and with a magic item.
All official material is allowed as well as both UA and homebrew after permission.

I never played a sorcerer or a full caster for that matter.
Any advice?

So far I am going with Glisya tiefling with Ritual Caster (wizard) and ability scores:

Str 10
Dex 13+1
Con 14
Int 9
Wis 13
Cha 14+2+2

You can select a feat at 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th, 17th and 20th character level. Half feats lose their bonus to ability scores.

Every 2 levels you take in a class you can increase one of your ability scores by 1.

Fighters at 6th and 14th level and rogues at 10th level can increase one ability score by 2 or two by one or take a feat.

And some buffs for some classes and some nerfs for some feats that I will present if someone mentions the official version.

Magic Recycling (new feature)
From 3rd level when you cast a sorcerer spell you can regain a number of spell points equal to half, rounded up, of the sorcery points indicated in the Creating Spell Slots table. Once you used this feature you must finish a long rest before using it again. From 17th level you can use this feature twice before a long rest.

Metamagic (expanded)
You can choose an additional Metamagic option at 7th level.

4 new Metamagic options:
Deadly Spell
When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to roll a number of dice equal to half, rounded up, the dice rolled for damage and add the resoult to the total.

Maximize Spell
When you roll damage for a spell, you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to deal maximum damage instead of rolling.
You can use Maximize Spell even if you have
already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Piercing Spell
When you roll damage for a spell you can spend 2 sorcery points to ignore resistance of the spell's damage.
You can use Piercing Spell even if you have already used a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.

Widen Spell
When you cast a spell that inflicts damage and affects an area (like fireball) you can spend 2 sorcery points to double that area.

Note: the metamagic options might be slightly changed if they allow for weird interactions. And Maximize spell is pretty broken as it is.

Optimized Creation (new feature)
From 5th level when you use Creating Spell Slot to create a spell slot of 1st level spending half, rounded up, spell points. From 7th level this feature can be used also to create 2nd level spell slots, from 11th level to create 3rd level spell slots.

Wild Magic sorcerous origin (buffs)

Channeled Chaos (new feature)
At 1st level you choose a school of magic. When you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table after casting a spell of the chosen school you can choose as target of the effect any creature withing 30 feet of you. You have do so only before knowing the resoult of the roll. If the effect rolled doesn't target you this feature has no effect. At 7th and 17th level you can choose an additional school of magic with this feature.
Additionally you learn the Chaos Bolt spell, this spell does not count against your number of spell known.

Bend Luck (changed and I guess buffed)
Bend Luck no longer requires sorcery points to be used and instead can be used a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier and all uses are regained after a long rest.

Spell Bombardment (buffed)
This feature can be used once per turn to reroll any number of dice instead of one. This doesn't work with maximize spell since you never rolled the damage.

CheddarChampion
2019-12-06, 12:25 PM
So you're unhappy that your character knows about the extent of the emperor's power, or did I misunderstand?

That aside, the house rules support classes that are MAD moreso than SAD classes. They also reduce the benefit of going V. Human.

Suggestions:
Barbarian
Swords/Valor Bard
GWM/SS War Cleric
Eldritch Knight
Monk (can now afford feats!)
Paladin (especially Mounted Combatant + Shield Master)
Arcane Trickster
Shadow-Blade-using Sorcerer
Bladesinger

Trandir
2019-12-06, 12:34 PM
So you're unhappy that your character knows about the extent of the emperor's power, or did I misunderstand?

More or less. Everyone is playing lunatics so it's not really fun to play a normal person

That aside, the house rules support classes that are MAD moreso than SAD classes. They also reduce the benefit of going V. Human.

Suggestions:
Barbarian
Swords/Valor Bard
GWM/SS War Cleric
Eldritch Knight
Monk (can now afford feats!)
Paladin (especially Mounted Combatant + Shield Master)
Arcane Trickster
Shadow-Blade-using Sorcerer
Bladesinger

Looooot of stuff. And I can't quite decide what to play myself and you listed 9 classes out of the 12 in the PHB.

I forgot to mention the party:

A shaman druid ancient elf (some homebrew that I do not know)
A revised beast conclave ranger wood elf
A bearbarin mountain dwarf
An arcane trickster gnome

nickl_2000
2019-12-06, 12:49 PM
I forgot to mention the party:

A shaman druid ancient elf (some homebrew that I do not know)
A revised beast conclave ranger wood elf
A bearbarin mountain dwarf
An arcane trickster gnome

In looking at the party it looks to me like you need more Arcane classes. Since the party is already at least partially insane, you should add to it.

Changeling Wild Magic Sorcerer, you could drop a fireball or you could turn into a houseplant. Who knows! You never know what race you will look like. Be male one day, female the next. Turn your hair crazy colors. Go nuts!

CheddarChampion
2019-12-06, 01:11 PM
With your party, I'd recommend Swords/Valor Bard, Shadow-Blade-using Dragon Sorcerer, or Bladesinger.
Maybe a Hill Dwarf Life Cleric to buddy up with the barbarian.

Trandir
2019-12-06, 06:58 PM
Well I decided what to play.
Now it s time for the actual build of the PC.

nickl_2000
2019-12-06, 06:59 PM
Well I decided what to play.
Now it s time for the actual build of the PC.

Well then spill... you can’t tell that toy decided without telling us what you decided on!

Trandir
2019-12-06, 07:22 PM
Well then spill... you can’t tell that toy decided without telling us what you decided on!

I mean the title ot the thread and the OP itself kind of gives that away. But the toy is wild magic sorcerer.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-06, 08:04 PM
With the fact you can maximize damage and multiply it by 1.5 it seems almost criminal not to spend your time chucking truly terrifying aoe's. Especially if you don't have many fights a day in 1 level you can burn a 1st level slot and then cast fireball, then with deadly and maximize meta magic. You would do 72 fire damage in 1 turn. And you could possibly cause something wacky to happen at the same time.

TheUser
2019-12-07, 02:03 AM
So my party is constantly getting into weird situations for stupid reasons and gets out of them with even dumber solutions.
I am playing a regular adventurer, paranoid and with some knowledge of most camps. Enough to say that if we try to blackmail the daughter of the emperor saying that we hold her baby dragon after her handmaid, which was in charge of both supervising us and babysitting the dragon, may or may not have been killed by us. A diviner would be able to find us and then the imperial army would have our heads. And other random stuff that any adventurer worth his salt would know.

That isn't fun so I am going to swap the PC since we ended our last quest.

And I will play a wild magic sorcerer.

It would begin at 4th level with Point Buy.
All official material is allowed as well as both UA and homebrew after permission.

I negever played a sorcerer nor a full caster for that matter.
Any advice?

Read my guide linked in my signature. It'll give you a good feel for the class and hopefully help you realise it doesn't need lots of buffing.

Trandir
2019-12-07, 03:37 AM
Read my guide linked in my signature. It'll give you a good feel for the class and hopefully help you realise it doesn't need lots of buffing.

I do thank you for the help. I am going through the guide.

But the buffs have been introduced by the DM not me. It might already be a very balanced class but it's free stuff. Who doesn't want free stuff?

Edit: there are a couple of errors like triple colums text that result in homebrewery cutting out the text and immages overlapping with the text. You might want to check the guide to correct them.

bendking
2019-12-07, 04:19 AM
As far as feats go, consider Ritual Caster (for utility and Find Familiar), Magic Initiate (Shield/Mage Armor), or even Inspiring Leader.
For spell list, this is my progression for my own Wild Magic Sorcerer:
Metamagics
1 - Mage Armor, Sleep
2 - Mage Armor, Shield, Sleep
3 - Mage Armor, Shield | Web, Blindness
4 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Web, Blindness
5 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Haste
6 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Haste, Counterspell
7 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Counterspell, Haste | Greater Invisibility
8 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Counterspell, Haste | Greater Invisibility, Storm Sphere
9 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Counterspell, Haste | Greater Invisibility, Storm Sphere | Dominate Person
10 - Mage Armor, Shield, Absorb Elements | Misty Step | Fireball, Counterspell, Haste | Greater Invisibility, Storm Sphere | Dominate Person, Telekinesis

You could replace Haste with Dispel Magic or Sleet Storm if you find yourself having 1-3 encounters per day. You can also replace Greater Invisibility with Polymorph if your party members don't object being turned into Giant Apes and or T-Rexes.
Metamagics Twinned, Elemental, Quicken.

You can read more about this build and other lists on this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?603958-Share-your-Sorcerer-spell-lists!

Trandir
2019-12-07, 12:57 PM
Well the PC is almost done.
The DM allowed me to take an uncommon magic item.

So the last things left to decide are the spell list and the magic item.

I do thank bendking for the advice but isn't that a pure support/debuff?

TheUser
2019-12-07, 03:46 PM
like triple colums text that result in homebrewery cutting out the text and immages overlapping with the text. You might want to check the guide to correct them.

The PDF link had no column errors

Trandir
2019-12-07, 04:25 PM
The PDF link had no column errors

I was talking about the homebrewery version tho. The PDF is perfect

TheUser
2019-12-07, 06:56 PM
I was talking about the homebrewery version tho. The PDF is perfect

Homebrewery doesn't render properly except for chrome apparently....