PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5]TWF+Obscure OA Weapon Build Advice

Vrock Bait
2019-12-06, 11:02 PM
For some reason, I really like the kusari-gama from OA, partially because it’s a light spiked chain, partially because of how cool you would look wielding those. Since we’re going for the cOoLnEsS, I jumped right into sword-and-board’s close relative in the failed mechanics family, two-weapon fighting. So far I know I need EWP(Kusari-gama), TWF, and ITWF. Is there any other advice for this sort of build?

Kelb_Panthera
2019-12-07, 01:44 AM
For some reason, I really like the kusari-gama from OA, partially because it’s a light spiked chain, partially because of how cool you would look wielding those. Since we’re going for the cOoLnEsS, I jumped right into sword-and-board’s close relative in the failed mechanics family, two-weapon fighting. So far I know I need EWP(Kusari-gama), TWF, and ITWF. Is there any other advice for this sort of build?

You've got to lean into the curve. Since you're never really going to hit super hard with it, hit super often. Blend tiger claw focused warblade into fighter with feats off the TWF chain. Pick up pounce however you prefer and just turn into a cyclone of death. You'll want to get shadow striking (ToM) asap so that DR won't get in your way.

Various forms of bonus damage are also helpful. To that end, pick up assassin's stance and get both ends of your kusari gama enhanced with deadly precision.

It won't be an ubercharger but it should shred pretty decently.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-12-07, 06:27 PM
TWF's saving grace is large number of attacks. Get some riders on there! Sneak attack ups your DPR very respectably as long as you can reliably flank; 3 levels of Rogue for Penetrating Strike (suck it, immune-to-crits enemies) is probably a worthwhile investment. Staggering Strike and Craven are both good if you can squeeze them in.

Tome of Battle is generally a martial character's best friend, and TWF is no exception. The Tiger Claw discipline has a lot of lovely standard action attacks and boosts related to TWF, but possibly the best part is the 1st level boost Sudden Leap for a swift action movement, letting you full attack. ToB classes are especially great in that they play well with multiclassing: 1/2 your level in other classes counts towards your "initiator level" (this is what determines the highest level of maneuver/stance you can learn), and arguably your full level in any prestige classes.

Since you've already invested in Exotic Weapon Proficiency, might be worth checking out the Exotic Weapon Master prestige class.

That's the stuff I've got off the top of my head, but it would probably be worth checking out the Two Weapon Fighting OffHandbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?279079-3-5-The-TWF-OffHandbook), your one-stop-shop for all things TWF.