PDA

View Full Version : Evolving critters?

Quietus
2007-10-20, 12:29 AM
So, I wanted to make something strange that could challenge a party at all levels, and become more dangerous as a game went on should they be encountered. I've come up with this : A race of creatures that can evolve based on what they encounter. The more strange things this race finds, the greater its own abilities become - exposure to Fire spells will let them develop Fire resistance, for example, while encountering a plate-clad Fighter with a big weapon will allow them to grow and become more physically intimidating. What I'd like, for the time being, is to keep them more or less dangerous only in swarms, and perhaps allow later evolutions to be more dangerous on their own. Any feedback and thoughts are welcome!

For stats, here's what I've got :

Appearance : Throden-beasts, in their natural form, look like small-sized, featherless Kiwi birds with soft, almost rubbery skin. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Apteryx_owenii_0.jpg)

Basic form

Small magical beast
Hit dice : ½ d10 (3 hp)
Initiative : +2
Speed : 20 feet
Armor class : 13 (+2 dex, +1 size)
Base attack/grapple : +1/-4
Attack : Bite +1 melee (1d4-1)
Special attacks : None
Special qualities : Darkvision, Low-light vision, Adaptation, Hivemind
Saves : Fortitude +2 [2 base], Reflex +4 [2 base], Will +1
Abilities : Strength 8, Dexterity 14, Constitution 10, Intelligence 3, Wisdom 12, Charisma 6
Skills : Spot +3 [2 ranks], Listen+3 [2 ranks], Hide +6, Move Silently +2
Feats : Swarmfighting
Environment : Temperate forests
Organization : Pack (4-10), Swarm (10-20), Hive (100+ individuals, plus 1 Queen)
CR : ¼
Alignment : Neutral
Advancement : By Adaptation

*Hivemind : Any throden is connected to all other throden through a massive hivemind. So long as they are within 100 feet of another one of their kind, they maintain constant telepathic communication. If one throden is not flat-footed, none are.

*Adaptation : Throden-beasts have an excessively unstable physical structure, and can use this to mutate themselves to gain the benefits of creatures they’ve fought. As a result, so long as the Hivemind gives them access to the Queen, groups of throden do not flee, but instead attempt to encounter as many different things as they can, passing this information back through the Hivemind. Once this information is brought back to the Queen, she is capable of processing it into biological changes, which she directs individual throden to act upon, going into a cocoon-like stage which lasts one day per adaptation added. When this cocoon breaks open, the newly-evolved throden is able to immediately go back to work on behalf of the hive.

Adaptations

Thorny Carapace : As a result of contact with Needlemen, the throden have developed an adaptation that gives them some of the benefits of those creatures. They grow a thin carapace over their backs, making them look as if they’re wearing a thin layer of thorny bark, from which they can fire thorns at opponents.
Changes : +1 natural armor, new ranged attack – Needle, 20 foot range increment (up to 5 increments) for damage equal to their bite damage

::Edit:: Forgot to mention - Swarmfighting is a feat in Complete Warrior. It essentially just gives a bigger flanking-type bonus if multiple Small-sized creatures threaten one target, limited by their dex bonus. This means that throden could gain up to +4 to hit due to flanking, instead of +2, if three or more of the creatures threaten one target.

Lyinginbedmon
2007-10-20, 04:03 AM
On the note of adaptation, I tried something similar in concept with the Sovices (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3144336&postcount=1)

Quietus
2007-10-20, 06:38 AM
On the note of adaptation, I tried something similar in concept with the Sovices (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3144336&postcount=1)

Interesting... sounds fairly in-depth, though. DR and SR against individual weapons and spells would be annoying to track... at least I'd have a fairly finite list of abilities that I'd give. How did it work out in practice?

On that note, I'm thinking of increasing their hit dice to a full d10, for a base of 5 hit points - shouldn't be too unreasonable, I think, and makes them as a whole less unweildly. 5 HP still isn't very much. I'll also have other adaptations they can take, including likely two different warrior ones, one for having encountered Medium armor (Medium size), and another that builds off of that for encountering Heavy armor (Large size). I'm also thinking about a winged version (from meeting giant flying centipedes, change the MM entry for monstrous centipedes from having a climb speed to having a fly speed and you've pretty much got it), as well as a "scout" version if they run into sneaky rangers/rogues.