PDA

View Full Version : DM Help PF2e: low level winter creatures.

notXanathar
2019-12-08, 04:15 PM
I'm going to be starting a new campaign soon, and my idea was to do a post-apocalyptic ice age world(the apocalypse caused the ice age). Any ideas on creatures I could use, official or otherwise. I've already got wolves+variants, and I'll probably throw in some gnolls, and some orcs, but it's a little difficult to find ones that match the theme at the right level, since we're starting from 1st.
thanks for all the help.

Koo Rehtorb
2019-12-08, 04:22 PM
snowbolds.

The Glyphstone
2019-12-08, 04:29 PM
There's a few different types of mephits that could work. Reskinned imps, maybe?

Topaz
2019-12-08, 05:46 PM
For non-human humanoids that would adapt well Snow Goblins, Dwarves and Gnomes come to mind; (Snow) Leopards are Creature 2, Skum are Creature 1 and may be scouting for their masters, Augur are nasty even for Creature 1 fiends but Cold Immunity bodes well for the occasional one to be around as well.

Kaptin Keen
2019-12-09, 04:49 PM
Take any low level thread. Paint it white. Score!

I dunno. Animated snowmen and scarecrows. Frozen Dead (that's not a thing that exists to my knowledge, but make it: Some sort of undead that rises from people who froze to death). Frost Wight (also doesn't exist to my knowledge, but it's an incorporeal undead with a Slow aura, and a strength draining attack).

Hungry humans. Those exist already - settlers whose stores ran out, and now they're out to eat the next best thing: You.

What else is cold themed? You could base something off mythology - in many ancient religions, the seasons are some sort of devine phenomenon, a punishment, or 'Death Ascendant', and rituals must be performed to bring summer back. As such, some sort of Winter Harbingers might be set loose upon the world by .. you know, the evil gods. Winter Harbingers could be anything, annoying sprites who sprinkle snow and ice crystals everywhere, or giant antlered bears, or tall, dark, eyeless or faceless humanoids surrounded by icy cold. I dunno.

stack
2019-12-10, 10:04 AM
Yeti is level 5, so strong for a 1st/2nd level party, though you could have lesser yeti (slap the weak adjustment on it) or even just steal their snowblind ability to make ambush predators of other creatures.

White dragons are CR 6 (young), Frost drakes are CR7, so either works as local terror, something that you work hard to avoid or that threatens a settlement to create plot until the party gets stronger.

Megafauna with cold resistance abilities tacked on. Evil druid cult that reveres cold/death/starvation/survival of the fittest/whatever, with polar bear minions (use grizzly bear stats, add ability to resist cold conditions, swim speed).