PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rene Auberjonois (Odo from DS9)

Giggling Ghast
2019-12-08, 06:32 PM
He passed away from lung cancer today at the age of 79.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/people-news/rene-auberjonois-dead-dies-star-trek-deep-space-nine-boston-legal-benson-mash-1203429137/

I was just watching old DS9 clips earlier today. :smallfrown:

Palanan
2019-12-08, 06:47 PM
That is tremendously sad news. One of my favorite characters on DS9.

Most people here probably know him as Odo, but I remember him as the smarmy, elitist Clayton from Benson in the early 80s. I hadn't realized just how much he'd done until looking through IMDB just now. A really outstanding actor.

Cikomyr
2019-12-08, 07:21 PM
#TheHouseWentBust

He was great in Fallout New Vegas.

The Fury
2019-12-08, 09:08 PM
I never really know what to say when people die. It feels hollow for me to say that I'm saddened that I'll never see or hear a new performance from him, but it's true. The world really is poorer without him in it.

Pex
2019-12-08, 09:16 PM
:smallfrown:

Actors hate being typecast but as a kid it was impressionable my first awareness of him was as Clayton Endicott the Third on Benson, a character you're supposed to hate. It took a while for me to accept him as Odo and not hate him on first sight.

mrgrtt123
2019-12-08, 09:16 PM
I don't know what to say, but all I know is that his contribution to the entertainment industry will live on.

Blackhawk748
2019-12-08, 09:27 PM
Technically I knew him as House from F:NV but I didn't recognize the voice until I watched all of DS9. From there I recognized him in basically everything. May he rest in peace

gomipile
2019-12-08, 09:38 PM
I first got to know him by name from DS9. I also quite enjoyed his performance on Boston Legal. He also had a memorable guest role in an episode of Stargate SG-1.

Since then I started to notice him in voice acting roles in lots of cartoons. He's got short roles in Batman, Justice League, Superman, Young Justice, and more.

Also, he voiced the chef who sang Les Poissons in The Little Mermaid.

The Fury
2019-12-08, 10:00 PM
Also, he voiced the chef who sang Les Poissons in The Little Mermaid.

When I started with a new D&D group, after one of our first sessions one of the players started talking about that scene and mentioned that Rene Auberjonois voiced the character. I didn't believe her, but she looked it up and sure enough. She later played the scene on YouTube and we both sang along. So thank you, Rene Auberjonois, you helped me make a friend.

afroakuma
2019-12-08, 11:04 PM
I hope this is an appropriate sendoff. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Env5DPtZylo&t=26s) He will be missed. :smallfrown:

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-09, 12:44 AM
I first saw him as Mulcahy in the MASH movie. I think I've enjoyed every role he had.:smallfrown:

Olinser
2019-12-09, 02:03 AM
Odo has returned to the Great Link. RIP.

factotum
2019-12-09, 02:48 AM
#TheHouseWentBust

He was great in Fallout New Vegas.

I never knew he played Mr. House, but remember his Odo distinctly. Sad news. (I think he also played the priest undergoing a crisis of faith in "The Big Bus"...).

Ornithologist
2019-12-09, 09:50 AM
Some of my favorite roles of his were as a Crazy man in Warehouse 13, and as the scientist building weapons for the fire nation in Avatar the last Airbender. I can fondly say, there was nothing he did that I didn't enjoy his rendition of.

I had forgotten House in Fallout though. Looks like its time to play that again.

Hunter Noventa
2019-12-09, 01:18 PM
DS9 has been hit hard, between him and Nog's actor.

I hate seeing such good-hearted and highly-skilled people passing on.

Cikomyr
2019-12-09, 01:22 PM
I never knew he played Mr. House, but remember his Odo distinctly. Sad news. (I think he also played the priest undergoing a crisis of faith in "The Big Bus"...).

You should listen to House's best dialogues. Rene did a great job.

Ramza00
2019-12-09, 03:13 PM
I love Rene in so many things, Boston Legal, DS9, and so much more.

Pours a glass out for Rene, referencing his The Last Unicorn role.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/417/271/e74.gif

Red Fel
2019-12-09, 03:50 PM
Well before I knew him from DS9, I knew him from the musical comedy City of Angels. His patter was great, he played with the same smarm he brought to Benson. I loved it. That premiered the same year he played the chef in Little Mermaid. Yes, the man could sing. His range was excellent, his comedic timing and dramatic flair were there in every role, whether exaggerated or subtle.

He will be missed.

HandofShadows
2019-12-09, 04:31 PM
Rest In Peace, Sir. You will be missed by many people.

No brains
2019-12-09, 05:45 PM
I think I know him best from the Soul Reaver 2 bloopers.

https://youtu.be/hpW1Tirgg80

Velaryon
2019-12-09, 07:34 PM
RIP Mr. Auberjonois.

Like many, I knew him first and best for his role as Odo on DS9, but I'd also like to give a mention to some of his excellent voice acting work. I quite enjoyed him as Master Fung in Xiaolin Showdown, for example.

And sorry to double down on the Star Trek-related sadness, but Marina Sirtis also announced on Twitter yesterday that her husband died.

Giggling Ghast
2019-12-09, 09:05 PM
nd sorry to double down on the Star Trek-related sadness, but Marina Sirtis also announced on Twitter yesterday that her husband died.

Thanks for the heads-up. I went on Twitter to offer my condolences.

The Fury
2019-12-10, 08:04 AM
I love Rene in so many things, Boston Legal, DS9, and so much more.

Pours a glass out for Rene, referencing his The Last Unicorn role.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/417/271/e74.gif

Oh my gosh! That was him too? That role was some quality childhood nightmare fuel!

GrayDeath
2019-12-10, 03:46 PM
I didnt know he also palyed the skeleton (granted, didnts see the movie in English until about 2000, not being a native speaker and such).

Dang, he played more of my favourite roles than I knew.

We will be missing you, Rene.

May you rest well. :smallfrown:

Petrocorus
2019-12-12, 01:12 PM
RIP.
I don't like this kind of news.

He also played the reverend in The Patriot with Mel Gibson.

And i just found out on his wiki page he was descended from Napoléon's sister.