PDA

View Full Version : Mad Scientist Advice

werescythe
2019-12-08, 10:43 PM
So I am working on a mad scientist themed character who is supposed to be an alchemy artificer (from the new Everton book) who is multiclassed with wizard. However I'm not sure what school to go into. Any suggestions?

Dork_Forge
2019-12-08, 11:00 PM
General Advice: Buy an abundance of stick on eyebrows and put a coat on before you travel through Liverpool.

Specific advice: I think Divination would work nicely with the whole whacky and out of control but things work out somehow (portent) or for a stronger theme Transmutation (though less appealing mechnically imo)

Joe the Rat
2019-12-08, 11:31 PM
Transmutation would be my pick. An alchemist worth its salts would kill for that philosopher's stone. Plus those delightful animations.

Stepping aside from this, your school choices can really color the madness of your mad scientist. Enchantment Alchemy is all-around creepy. Alchemy + Conjuration is decanting all sorts of not-homonculi, plus the option for a gas or liquid based teleportation system Evocation, if nothing else, will save your eyebrows.

I'd go with Necromancy. Creepy body parts in your flasks, less Frankenstein, more Herbert West, and if you stick around, you get potent potion powered zombies

Anderlith
2019-12-08, 11:44 PM
I would suggest Enchanting or Transmutation

werescythe
2019-12-09, 01:05 AM
Stepping aside from this, your school choices can really color the madness of your mad scientist. Enchantment Alchemy is all-around creepy.

I would suggest Enchanting or Transmutation

Interesting. In the case I took enchantment, how long should I stick around for? Also any spell recommendations?

Anderlith
2019-12-09, 02:40 AM
Interesting. In the case I took enchantment, how long should I stick around for? Also any spell recommendations?

I’d definitely use a infused hat of disguise & abuse the crap out of Friends & Charm & such. As for multiclass breakdown? I don’t know

werescythe
2019-12-11, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have any build advice for an artificer (alchemist)/wizard?

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-11, 07:02 PM
Does anyone have any build advice for an artificer (alchemist)/wizard?

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of synergy there.

The Alchemist is really weird, in the sense that it uses a summon that it barely can interact with, has features that requires spellcasting but is limited behind a half-caster's slots, your only combat bonuses come Acid and Poison damage types, and everything you do has to be casted as an Artificer to get any bonuses. Wizard spells you cast that deal Poison damage don't count.

So it doesn't really synergize with anything. The most optimal choice is to not multiclass. The few things that I can think of are:

Focus on casting spells that keep enemies in place (Ice spells, ground spells), so that you can make setups for Poison/Acid spells or attack with your pet.
Focus on the fact that your Bonus Action is occupied by your pet and that you have medium armor to be a backup lineman.
Focus on the fact that you have a flying pet, and give it special abilities to be more useful.
Try to focus on your Poison and Acid damage.

Wizard Options for #1 are Transmutation and Conjuration. Generate crowd control, drop a bomb on them.
Wizard Options for #2 are Bladesinger, Necromancy, Enchantment and Abjuration. It's not much, but they're better at being attacked than any other Wizard.
Wizard Options for #3 are just Divination. You will be spamming See Invisibility so often, your DM won't even bother making invisible enemies anymore.
Wizard Options for #4 are just Evocation. Big shocker, there. Keep in mind, though, many Acid/Poison spells are Conjuration, Transmutation, or Necromancy, and only a few are Evocation.

werescythe
2019-12-11, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, there's not a lot of synergy there.

So, to clarify I am using the Artificer from the new Eberron Book (because since it is an official print, my GM will use it over the UA), which does open up the options to fire and necrotic as well. Which in the case of the latter, I think Alchemical Savant might actually go well with the Necromancy School's Grim Harvest ability.