PDA

View Full Version : Sun Soul Monk - Possible Earthbender?

Rokir
2019-12-09, 06:57 AM
Hello everybody,

we're starting a new campaign soon (Hoard of the Dragon Queen; I’m DM) and one of my players would like to play an Earthbender (Avatar, last airbender; hurling stones and forming earth)

Since there is no such thing directly, my suggestion would be the Sun Soul Monk as a starting point.
A Sun Bolt would be a flung stone and with Magic Initiate Mold Earth would be available. Other abilities will be visually adjusted accordingly (Burning Hands will be a shower of Stone shards, deflect missile will be implemented by raised rock plates, etc)

Unfortunately, my approach lacks the more powerful manipulations of Earth and Stone (Merge with Stone, Stonewall, earthquake ...), but I see no way to include them.
Does any of you have another suggestion for this, or any additions?

I would prefer that everything would be RAW, but I have no problem making minor changes.

Thanks in advance!

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-12-09, 07:07 AM
A caster can fluff every spell.
Shield become a small stone wall that block attacks.
Absorb elements become a stone shell that protects you and able to keep the element to throw the burning, freezing stone of someone as an attack.

Stone wall will be a wall of stone.

Mold earth in moving stuff.

All the earth spells fit.
All the non stone spells can be refluff.

The UA stone sorcery can work nicely.

Arkhios
2019-12-09, 10:08 AM
I would look to Way of the Four Elements instead of The Sun Soul.

WotFE definitely needs a bit of work to make it feel right, but I would at least try something like this:

Toss the existing Elemental Disciplines and instead make a list of "elemental spells" the character can choose from at the listed levels (I'm positive there is enough spells for each element; also, this is the part that takes all the work, to be honest).

I'd say up to 4 spells of each level from 1st through 5th, per element. Keep the Ki point cost for spells as normal.