PDA

View Full Version : Read Quick

SangoProduction
2019-12-09, 11:28 AM
Are there any mechanical benefits to characters reading books really fast?
Like, I believe there are some end game stat boosting tomes that require a certain amount of time to read. Would a spell that lets someone read 1000 words / swift action reduce that time?
Is there anything else of note?

Palanan
2019-12-09, 11:51 AM
Scholar's Touch allows you to absorb the knowledge of a single book in one round, but it explicitly disallows magical books such as the tomes you're referencing.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind. Reading a book faster than normal shouldn't have any advantage in how the knowledge is applied. Even if you can absorb it more quickly than usual, it's still the exact same information.

SangoProduction
2019-12-09, 05:56 PM
After some searching, I did find a class of items that benefit from being read in game: Books! Imagine my shock.
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipmenT/goods-and-services/books-paper-writing-supplies/#TOC-Book

In particular, Adventurer's Chronicle normally takes 1d4 rounds of searching the book. Given that an average person reads at around 200-300 words per minute, and the spell lets you do 1000 in a swift action, this should grant you the ability to get the +2 (wow that's piddly) essentially at will.

The Arcane Family Workbook, if we assume you can read 3,000 words a rounds (swift, move and std action), and there are 10 rounds in a minute, then you read about 120 times the speed of a normal person. Assuming you can reduce the study time of the tome to about a minute, on average, to get the full +4 bonus.

The Obsession Log is similar...although craft/profession checks are played in narrative time so hardly a concern.

A Traveler's Dictionary would actually be pretty cool...if such a character that would bring around one of these didn't already innately know every language by virtue of their int score. And if non-Common languages were ever used.

So, basically, it lets you use masterwork items on knowledge checks without a time tax, and if you really needed to identify an item, and had a full minute but not an hour, it would also be useful.