PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Elven Accuracy, Fighting Spirit, and Rapid Strike

Expected
2019-12-09, 05:29 PM
If an Elven Fighter with Elven Accuracy uses their BA for Fighting Spirit and opts to forgo advantage on one attack, how many dice do you roll for the attack that previously had advantage (e.g. 3 dice to 1 or 3 dice to 2)? There are a few possibilities, but I'm wondering what is RAW.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-09, 05:32 PM
It would be 3 dice to 1.

Rapid Strike does not state that you roll one less dice, but that you lose Advantage. Since Elven Accuracy would require Advantage, which you lost, Elven Accuracy does not apply to that attack or add an extra hit die.

A really interesting scenario could be to determine whether or not an attack could be given Advantage after losing Advantage. For example, what would happen if someone Readied the Help Action, to use it as a Reaction? Would the Samurai be able to use Rapid Strike after Fighting Spirit, then get Advantage again from the Help Action?

iTreeby
2019-12-09, 05:46 PM
Typically if there is advantage and disadvantage on a roll, no further advantages or disadvantages can be applied. I'm not familiar with specific wording of any of the specific abilities however.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-09, 05:53 PM
Typically if there is advantage and disadvantage on a roll, no further advantages or disadvantages can be applied. I'm not familiar with specific wording of any of the specific abilities however.

The catch here is, you're not getting Disadvantage to get Rapid Strike. Rather, you lose Advantage. As far as I can tell, there's no other example of this in the game. Even with Advantage vs. Disadvantage, the game still considers you having both (which prevents you from stacking multiple sources of Advantage/Disadvantage).

MaxWilson
2019-12-09, 06:21 PM
If an Elven Fighter with Elven Accuracy uses their BA for Fighting Spirit and opts to forgo advantage on one attack, how many dice do you roll for the attack that previously had advantage (e.g. 3 dice to 1 or 3 dice to 2)? There are a few possibilities, but I'm wondering what is RAW.

Technically Elven Accuracy also only rolls 2 dice--it's just that you get to re-roll one of them.

Anyway, in this interaction you just get two attacks, not at advantage, instead of one attack at tri-vantage.

djreynolds
2019-12-09, 06:24 PM

At 15th level, say an elven samurai archer has 3 attacks and action surge.

You enact fighting spirit, now you have 6 attacks with advantage, but if you wanted to you take one of those attacks at advantage and gain a free one with it.

5 attacks advantage
1 attack normal
1 free attack

But lets say you friend prior to this casts hold person... well every attack is with advantage and you'll crit as well.

So no need to waste fighting spirit right now, so you attack twice with advantage because of hold person.... but your like I'm scoring a Crit every hit.... so you forgo advantage on the last strike to make it 2

ThePolarBear
2019-12-09, 06:26 PM
A really interesting scenario could be to determine whether or not an attack could be given Advantage after losing Advantage. For example, what would happen if someone Readied the Help Action, to use it as a Reaction? Would the Samurai be able to use Rapid Strike after Fighting Spirit, then get Advantage again from the Help Action?

I don't think one could really word a reaction to go with such a specific timing in a way that it would be perceivable in-character, but i guess that would be more of an in-table thing.

I can't think of a feature that would "give advantage when you lose advantage", so to speak. But i agree, it would be an interesting scenario.