PDA

View Full Version : Avian character attack?

SangoProduction
2019-12-09, 08:51 PM
So, I was considering making a bird as a character. I *could* just be a spell caster. But nah.

So, I was thinking about all that I could do to attack in fun ways. And it's D&D logic, so as long as your carry limit score supports it, you can fly with it.

Nothing too inspiring until I thought about dropping stuff on people. Then I thought about carrying like a box of (weaponized) lawn darts in one talon and pulling a string to open it in the other.

Is there any rule or weapon or whatever that I could use to do this?

Thurbane
2019-12-09, 09:43 PM
I think Heroes of Battle might have some stuff related to this, let me have a look...

Page 54-55 has some details about giant eagles dropping rocks, but not sure how useful that is.

DMG p.303 also has some info about falling objects.

SangoProduction
2019-12-09, 11:06 PM
Yeah. Falling objects is one thing. But dozens and dozens of small daggers peppering them from the sky seems like it wouldn't quite fit with "here's just a bunch of weight being dropped on you".

Zombulian
2019-12-10, 11:17 AM
Could be a fabricated memory but I feel like I remember there being some rule in CWar or some other that pointed improvised weapons counted as heavier.

liquidformat
2019-12-10, 12:50 PM
Could be a fabricated memory but I feel like I remember there being some rule in CWar or some other that pointed improvised weapons counted as heavier.

chapter 4 of CW goes over the amount of damage a thrown weapon does, afb just looked up hulking hurler.

Ruethgar
2019-12-10, 02:26 PM
I just thought of using a Caber instead of darts/daggers. It would cover the whole area of attack thing at least. The only other base weapon I recall with an area(besides siege) is the Sandblaster.

Malphegor
2019-12-11, 10:21 AM
Scout gets skirmish damage so long as they move, which as a flier you'll be doing more.

Then take Roofjumper feat. It's intended for jumping off roofs Assassin's Creed style, however for a flier, it's 1d6 damage per 10ft travelled. (you have to take the fall damage even though you can fly, since the idea is that you're not slowing your fall, you're going hell for leather, maximum impact into someone). It's a charge so it's already doubled.

Say if you can fly 100ft (Good). Your downward speed would be double, so that's 200ft. It's a charge so double seperately so presumably that makes it 300ft. 30d6 damage... if you hit.

Plus then add your skirmish damage since this is deffo an attack done in the same round as you moved.

nedz
2019-12-11, 05:01 PM
You could play a Warlock and zap people with your ray, whilst also having some strange abilities — but this might be too close to a caster for your preference ?

A summoner summoning flocks of Birds might work — Druid or Spirit Shaman perhaps ? Again, a caster, but a subtle one.

Thinking of Crows — you could go for a fear type build.

An interesting melee option might be Swordsage ?
Swoop down, pull off some manoeuvre with your beak, and fly away. Flyby attack is a must here, as well as some way of avoiding AoO.