PDA

View Full Version : How to Play an Evil Character (A suggestion)

ChaseC311
2019-12-09, 09:42 PM
When you build your character, maybe you don't want to make a goody two-shoes, maybe you want to tread along the darkside. Maybe you want to play someone who steals from the party and backstabs them when they need you most.

If you think that would work for an evil player dynamic, please read on, because I can guarentee you that there are better ways to be evil.

Evil characters are usually always succeeded with a collective sigh at the table due to the reputation the alignment as a whole has earned, and we all know the characters who give them the reputation: The murder hobo who constantly betrays the party, thieving and attacking them for the sake of character alignment. This kind of character is only the rudimentary fundamentals of making a fun, memorable character, let me explain.

When creating an evil character, you have to remember that you are playing with your party, maybe even against the party, but that doesn't mean you should act against them. When making an evil character, you need to have your character remember one thing

"My character cannot fight against my entire party, and win. My party has valuable connections and skills that make them a useful ally and an incredible enemy if I don't play my cards right"

When playing an evil character, your character should realize that the party they are a part of is powerful and would be much better as an ally rather than an enemy. This doesn't mean you can't be evil, it just means your character should put in the extra effort to work towards their goals without *directly* acting against the party's. Below are a few examples of how characters can work in tandum with their party, while also being regarded as evil characters

Calypso Arcadneum is a Changeling Druid of The Swarm Circle (Homebrew 5e Circle) who wishes to elevate her political status through manipulation tactics such as Psychological Reciprocity and The Foot in The Door Phenomenon. She uses what little power she has now to find blackmail on her enemies and bully them into submission, climbing the political ladder in the process. She uses her manipulation to aid her allies, because she knows a party behind her back will be a useful tool for when shes in trouble and needs to put a political opponent in their place. She is calculated, secretive, yet is open to her party in order to garner their trust, as they are the only ones who know of her changeling heritage

Moskerre Quintessent was a Kalashtar Wild Sorcerer on the run from his coven after his assassination attempt of the leader of the coven (his sister) had failed. As such, he was naturally suspicious of anyone he met, not risking a spy backstabbing him. When given the option, he chose to gain vampirism to gain enough power to challenge the covens leader and gain supremacy. He was on the road of trusting the party before he was killed undergoing a trial for the covens forgiveness (im still not over how a dove pecked him and made him underfo a second set of death saves), but although he wasnt a saint (he insulted npcs and even accidentally drained someone close to the party monk of their blood while they slept), he ultimately never acted against the party, because they never acted against him.

V'Kaash Meztique is a Yuan-Ti Whispers Bard who uses souls of the dead to fuel his magic (much akin to Shang Tsung). His birth has given him a recessive gene that would permanently sever his body from the arcane spellweave, prohibiting him from directly casting magic for his entire life. Before starting upon his dark path, he trained in a monastery, where he learned how to manipulate the bodily energy of ki, but he grew attached, he grew addicted, learning to siphon Ki of his enemies to artificially fuel the spells he casts, burning up their life essence in the process, essentially manipulating ones soul to cast the spells for him through his ki. And the most plentiful source of ki is straight from those whos Ki/Soul is just leaving their bodies, right after death. Despite this (which has angered a certain npc), he has never acted against the party, even after becoming an assassin to build his surplus of souls.

These characters are each evil in their own circumstances, all ultimately marching towards a desire of power, but they manage to be evil without gaining the partys ire. You can act against the world, but you cannot act against the party, because in character, a 1v5 will never turn out in the 1s favor, this is a factor that your character should know when contemplating their actions, taking careful steps to avoid acting against the party that outnumbers him for every single day theybare a party. There are ways to be evil withiut being a jerk to the people you share the table with.

But this is only how I play, and there are countless other ways to have a character be memorably evil. This post is not scriptures in stone, but are merely scribbles in the sand. How one ultimately decides to play their character is up to them, the freedom of speech is a wonderful thing for your little menaces, but that does not mean freedom of consequence. As such, to make sure the party experience is good for both you and your teammates, it is advised to play against the world, but not *act* against the party, thank you for coming to my ted talk.

False God
2019-12-09, 11:19 PM
My Lawful Evil half-demon just saved the world. All by being cruel, power hungry and most importantly, efficient and pleasant to be around. Everyone who was clearly an enemy got treated with the utmost brutality, whatever was needed to be done to accomplish the quest, she did it. She wasn't gleeful or unnecessarily sadistic, everything was done because it needed to be done that way (in her opinion) as that was (also in her opinion) the most efficient way to do things. Small feudal kingdoms were glassed as both a demonstration of power and because they were actually the target of the quest. The deaths of the civilians were necessary to show commitment to the quest and the absolute destruction of the target showed the righteousness of her cause.

In the end, she had come across 3 powerful magical items that when combined, could do impossible things. But one of them was in the possession of another party member who was keenly aware of her power-hungry nature. The other was in the hands of an ex-party member who flipped the party off and ran away. She played the odds and got the latter item into the hands of the first party member, who now had 2 of the 3 piece set. She stole the 3rd piece from the grave of a previous party member. Then she waited till the First Guy was in a tight spot and and said "Give me your hand." and cast Fusion.

By their powers combined (all three items in possession of the same "person") she destroyed 95% of all vampires on the plane. (only the eldest, about 1% were the actual targets) Cunning, efficient and cruel, at the right time, against the right (in her opinion within a loose interpretation of the quest) targets. But cooperative and helpful to the party, if not always in the way they want or expect.

Kaptin Keen
2019-12-10, 02:18 AM
There's a nameless NPC blackguard - he's known simply as the Black Knight - in one of my campaigns. The kingdom in which he lives is at war, and losing badly on most fronts, but the Black Knight holds the eastern front with a handful of men, an iron will, and utterly ruthless villainy. No one questions his loyalty or dedication, he's 100% lawful and respects the line of succession and the king's right to rule.

On the other hand of course, the rest of the overall LG kingdom is appalled by the Black Knights eagerness to raze villages, impale enemies, burn crops and slaughter women and children. But what are they to do, when he literally is the only one holding his own?

I find him immensely amusing to play. When he arrive at court - for his latest reprimand - the halls will echo with the noise of his immense black armor. But for all his outward terror, he will kneel humbly to his liege, and always be entirely oblivious to the fact that he's done anything wrong. So when the king, outraged, tells him 'you burned down Ubricht Town. I specifically told you No More Razings! What have you to say for yourself?' He will be dismayed, apologize profusely, and come up with some lame excuse 'but my Liege, I had no choice - they were hiding 5th column elements of the Richter Brigade .. I impaled a number of them, but they wouldn't talk, so I told them if they didn't bring them to me in twelve hours, they would leave me no choice.

But my liege, there were no witnesses!'

Like .. that makes it ok.

And still, of course, no one can really punish him, because he's the only reason the war isn't lost yet.

And my players, of course, are horrified by him, and constantly think he's plotting something - which he totally isn't.

Altair_the_Vexed
2019-12-10, 10:52 AM
Of course evil people have friends and allies - how do you think they get into power? The ones who don't cooperate to get ahead will soon find themselves in difficulty - maybe they'll be strong enough to get out of it, but it's always easier with a team.

Even a Chaotic Evil type will do better if they work with a group of allies. Sure, they have less sense of commitment and honour to bind the team together, but an effective team who get the job done? That's worth sticking around. It's worth defending them - it's only for your own interests.
A smart CE PC will try to steer the party toward their agenda - they just have to do it carefully, if they can see that the party might not agree with the end goal. There's no need to betray the party - certainly not yet...

MeimuHakurei
2019-12-10, 02:58 PM
Chloe is, depending on my mood and game system, some mixture of Rogue and Sorcerer who favors long, crippling injuries and acidic energy blasts. She is Chaotic Evil in that the suffering and death of her targets are pleasing to her. However, she greatly appreciates cooperation with "adventurers" who go around killing for a living, as well as the tasty irony of her sadistic guilty pleasure leading to praise and adoration by her peers. Also, it's much more thrilling to take on strong, challenging monsters who deride your abilities than going for easy prey.

You don't need to have a big, world-spanning plan to do evil.

Jorren
2019-12-10, 04:04 PM
The main issue I see with playing an evil character (other than disruption of the group) is that it is putting the cart before the horse. The concept I think is better served by coming up with a character idea that provides motivation for evil actions rather than starting with "this is an evil guy, what's he gonna do?"

In other words start with the background and motivation, not the alignment.

redwizard007
2019-12-10, 09:11 PM
Villains I would want to join my party:

Sheriff of Nottingham (Costner version)
Hyenas - Lion King
Shadow Man - princess and the frog
Ursula - Little Mermaid
Pain & Panic - Hercules
The Penguin
Dr. Freeze
Lex Luthor

Dear God no! Keep them away.

Maleficent
Evil Queen - Snow White
Hades
Sauron
The Joker
Darkseid

There's lots of room for morally dark party members. The key is that they need to be dedicated to the party

Mutazoia
2019-12-10, 09:43 PM
Dear God no! Keep them away.

Maleficent
Evil Queen - Snow White
Hades
Sauron
The Joker
Darkseid

There's lots of room for morally dark party members. The key is that they need to be dedicated to the party

Actually, James Woods did a really good job with Hades. Evil...true evil, isn't going to be some Jason Voorhees, Freddy Kruger, or Michael Myers clone. Sure. They're evil, but they are MOVIE evil.

Real evil will be your best friend and not only get you to condemn yourself but will convince you that paying extra for the jumbo handbasket to ride in is the best idea ever.

Everybody has this ingrained idea that an evil party member will disrupt the party, but honestly, it will only be that way if the player is a total jerk about it.

JBPuffin
2019-12-11, 12:49 PM
I tried to play my current character as a Lawful Evil hobgoblin focused on earning honor at any cost...but with a Charisma of 4, a job on the city watch, and an implicit need to be seen as useful, I instead have a Lawful Neutral hobgob who chases after honor by helping anyone and everyone do stuff.

Wraith
2019-12-11, 01:30 PM
Various Playgrounders have made suggestions on how to play the different types of Evil alignment in the form of essays/guides (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448812-Alignment-Handbook-Super-Thread).

Red Fel's Guide to Lawful Evil is particularly eloquent and in-depth, but all of them have some good ideas depending on your preferred flavour.