PDA

View Full Version : Does Armor Make You More Attractive?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 09:46 PM
I'm playing a Level 3 Neutral Good Female Lesser Drow Wizard and I brought a Masterwork Leather Armor. (I was going to get the Mithral Chain Shirt Armor but it's beyond my price range.) So does this armor or any armor make my character attractive? :confused:

KillianHawkeye
2019-12-09, 09:48 PM
What the heck kind of question is that?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 09:52 PM

I just want my character to be more representable. What's wrong with my question? :annoyed:

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-09, 10:00 PM
I'm playing a Level 3 Neutral Good Female Lesser Drow Wizard and I brought a Masterwork Leather Armor. (I was going to get the Mithral Chain Shirt Armor but it's beyond my price range.) So does this armor or any armor make my character attractive? :confused:

It's kind of hard to answer this question without knowing what the armor in question looks like. "Leather armor" could mean a practical suit of stiff leather padding, or it could be something like Haley's leather low-riding top (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0675.html), depending on the level of armor realism we're talking here.

And aside from that... it's armor, and you're playing a wizard, a class not exactly known for its social graces. What kind of "representable", per your last post, are you going for here? Does your character want to flaunt her physical assets? Dress like a proper knight ready to ride out and do battle with the forces of evil? Just dress presentably in general? Defining your OP further would help a lot with responses.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:04 PM
It's kind of hard to answer this question without knowing what the armour in question looks like. "Leather armour" could mean a practical suit of stiff leather padding, or it could be something like Haley's leather low-riding top (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0675.html), depending on the level of armour realism we're talking here.

And aside from that... it's armour, and you're playing a wizard, a class not exactly known for its social graces. What kind of "representable", per your last post, are you going for here? Does your character want to flaunt her physical assets? Dress like a proper knight ready to ride out and do battle with the forces of evil? Just dress presentably in general? Defining your OP further would help a lot with responses.

She bought the leather armour for the tournament to make her defence useful. I thought this was pretty obvious of what leather armour looks like.

Berenger
2019-12-09, 10:06 PM
Unless you fancy gangrenous wounds, amputated limbs and hideous scars, armor prevents loss of attractiveness. :smallsmile:

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:08 PM
Unless you fancy gangrenous wounds, amputated limbs and hideous scars, armor prevents loss of attractiveness. :smallsmile:

Ok... :confused:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 10:13 PM
Ok... :confused:Do you find people with hideous wounds and scarring attractive? Because most people don't. Armor is supposed to prevent that from happening by protecting you from physical attacks. That's what Berenger meant by that statement.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:16 PM
Do you find people with hideous wounds and scarring attractive? Because most people don't. Armor is supposed to prevent that from happening by protecting you from physical attacks. That's what Berenger meant by that statement.

Ok. Thank you for clearing that out. :biggrin:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 10:31 PM
Ok. Thank you for clearing that out. :biggrin:Otherwise, it's basically a leather version of full-body kevlar. Keep in mind, real armor is nothing like that utterly ineffectual fantasy crap designed to attract teenage boys and creepy older men, just like how that picture of the sorcerer in the PHB whose "clothing" is basically a bunch of belts strapped to his body doesn't show actual clothes.

Real armor is not form-fitting. It's designed to spread the force of a blow over a large area of the body to prevent bruising and bone-breakage. Female armor does have to make allowances for female anatomy, but nothing like you see in most movies and games.

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-a2304ec9668c0dec8604e57f3b85e051.webp

heavyfuel
2019-12-09, 10:31 PM
So, as an actual sort of answer to the question. Common armor doesn't really make you more presentable, except as maybe a guard of sort. However, masterwork armor is really well made and you can probably pass for a decent outfit, especially if worn with other pieces of clothing.

As a completely side question, why did you buy Masterwork Leather Armor on a Wizard? Do you have a way of reducing ASF, or are you just going with it? Cuz if it's latter, might I suggest the Mage Armor spell?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:34 PM
So, as an actual sort of answer to the question. Common armor doesn't really make you more presentable, except as maybe a guard of sort. However, masterwork armor is really well made and you can probably pass for a decent outfit, especially if worn with other pieces of clothing.

As a completely side question, why did you buy Masterwork Leather Armor on a Wizard? Do you have a way of reducing ASF, or are you just going with it? Cuz if it's latter, might I suggest the Mage Armor spell?

What ASF stand for? :confused: And the Mage Armor doesn't really do anything because it only good for incorperal enemies even though I have that spell. :frown:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 10:39 PM
What ASF stand for? :confused:Arcane spell failure. It's a percentage chance that any spell you cast that has somatic (body-movement) components will fail while wearing the armor. It's noted in the armor table.

And the Mage Armor doesn't really do anything because it only good for incorperal enemies even though I have that spell. :frown:It acts as regular armor (but with no ASF or ACP [armor check penalty]), but it also works against incorporeals, since it's made from [Force].

Do note that neither psions (or any other manifester) nor divine casters have to deal with ASF, but wizards and sorcerers do.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:41 PM
Arcane spell failure. It's a percentage chance that any spell you cast that has somatic (body-movement) components will fail while wearing the armor. It's noted in the armor table.

It acts as regular armor (but with no ASF or ACP [armor check penalty]), but it also works against incorporeals, since it's made from [Force].

Well yes I'm reducing my ASF to make my spells accurate. :smile: Also The Mage Armor doesn't stack with regular armor. :frown:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 10:45 PM
Well yes I'm reducing my ASF to make my spells accurate. :smile: Also The Mage Armor doesn't stack with regular armor. :frown:No, but if you ignore ASF, then you can buy a cheap +1 leather armor with +9 in special abilities and minimal penalties, then use (greater) mage armor to boost your AC. The spell takes care of your AC, while the actual armor gives you special abilities while costing less (money and penalties). And if you ever get dispelled, you still have at least some armor. Not much, but still.

Also, note that low-cut female armor that shows off one's "assets" (including one's midsection and upper thighs, as is standard for stupid fantasy armor) is just asking to get stabbed in one of the body's most vulnerable spots (as in, all of the places NOT normally covered by female fantasy armor).

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 10:48 PM
No, but if you ignore ASF, then you can buy a cheap +1 leather armor with +9 in special abilities and minimal penalties, then use (greater) mage armor to boost your AC. The spell takes care of your AC, while the actual armor gives you special abilities while costing less (money and penalties). And if you ever get dispelled, you still have at least some armor. Not much, but still.

Also, note that low-cut female armor that shows off one's "assets" (including one's midsection and upper thighs, as is standard for stupid fantasy armor) is just asking to get stabbed in one of the body's most vulnerable spots (as in, all of the places NOT normally covered by female fantasy armor).
Hold the phone: Greater Mage Armor you say?! What does that spell does? I never even heard of it. :eek:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 11:04 PM
Hold the phone: Greater Mage Armor you say?! What does that spell does? I never even heard of it. :eek:Complete Arcane. Wiz/Sorc 3.

This spell functions like mage armor, except that its tangible field of force provides a +6 armor bonus to Armor Class.

Material Component: A tiny platinum shield worth 25 gp.

Buufreak
2019-12-09, 11:04 PM
She bought the leather armour for the tournament to make her defence useful. I thought this was pretty obvious of what leather armour looks like.

If you already have a self perceived idea of what leather armor looks like, why are you asking about it? The image that you already have imagined, does it make your drow look attractive? Yes if yes, no if no.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 11:06 PM
If you already have a self perceived idea of what leather armor looks like, why are you asking about it? The image that you already have imagined, does it make your drow look attractive? Yes if yes, no if no.

I just want to hear what other people opinions on it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 11:07 PM
I think standard female fantasy armor looks downright dumb, but then, I'm not part of the focus group that kind of thing appeals to.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 11:09 PM
I think standard female fantasy armour looks downright dumb, but then, I'm not part of the focus group that kind of thing appeals to.

Ok, thank you for your input.

False God
2019-12-09, 11:31 PM
You're a wizard, why are you wearing leather armor?

You cast Mage Armor on yourself and/or buff your dex up(which is hopefully good anyway considering you're a Drow) and you can go out in your skivvies, heck, you don't even have to wear those!

Of any class, Wizards have the best excuse to wear stupid sexy fantasy armor, even the men!

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 11:35 PM
You're a wizard, why are you wearing leather armor?

You cast Mage Armor on yourself and/or buff your dex up(which is hopefully good anyway considering you're a Drow) and you can go out in your skivvies, heck, you don't even have to wear those!

Of any class, Wizards have the best excuse to wear stupid sexy fantasy armor, even the men!
Ok. Thanks for the advice.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-09, 11:37 PM
If you've got a good Wis score, how about a monk's belt later on? If you're not wearing armor anyway, you'll get the full benefits of +Wis mod to AC. And since (greater) mage armor isn't actually armor, they stack.

heavyfuel
2019-12-09, 11:42 PM
Complete Arcane. Wiz/Sorc 3.

Updated in Spell Compendium to not have the Material Component

I think standard female fantasy armor looks downright dumb, but then, I'm not part of the focus group that kind of thing appeals to.

Have you tried finding art for a female character that isn't super sexualized? It's harder than playing an effective Truenamer.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 11:43 PM
If you've got a good Wis score, how about a monk's belt later on? If you're not wearing armor anyway, you'll get the full benefits of +Wis mod to AC. And since (greater) mage armor isn't actually armor, they stack.

My character Wisdom score is 10. I don't think I won't be increasing her Wisdom score anything. If she was a Cleric and got a high Wisdom score, sure. But I'm not planning to boost my Wisdom score at all. :frown:

KillianHawkeye
2019-12-09, 11:53 PM

I just want my character to be more representable. What's wrong with my question? :annoyed:

Two things.

1) Armor, in terms of game rules, has no effect on whether or not people find you attractive.

2) Different people find different things attractive. And also, there's no way you can establish a general consensus on your character's attractiveness based solely on the limited information you've given (a race/class combo and a type of armor). There are way too may other variables that you do not seem to be accounting for.

Bonus 3) This is just a weird/creepy question to ask of total strangers. We are not attracted to your imaginary characters. We don't even know you or them.

At best, we could imagine something that we do or do not find attractive, but it doesn't have any real relation to the character that you're imagining in your own head.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-09, 11:57 PM
Two things.

1) Armor, in terms of game rules, has no effect on whether or not people find you attractive.

2) Different people find different things attractive. And also, there's no way you can establish a general consensus on your character's attractiveness based solely on the limited information you've given (a race/class combo and a type of armor). There are way too may other variables that you do not seem to be accounting for.
Ok. Good to know :smile:

KillianHawkeye
2019-12-09, 11:58 PM
Ok. Good to know :smile:

Also see my edited in bonus reason 3. :smallwink:

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-10, 12:01 AM
Also see my edited in bonus reason 3. :smallwink:

Oh I definitely didn't thought this through. Stupid me. :frown:

Ruethgar
2019-12-10, 12:16 AM
The Ornate armor quality could make you a more attractive in some respect and has the mechanical bonus of +2 Diplomacy(Legendary quality may raise to +10).

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-10, 12:18 AM
The Ornate armor quality could make you a more attractive in some respect and has the mechanical bonus of +2 Diplomacy(Legendary quality may raise to +10).

Wow. Sounds like my type of armor. :smile:

Crake
2019-12-10, 12:18 AM
Real armor is not form-fitting. It's designed to spread the force of a blow over a large area of the body to prevent bruising and bone-breakage.

You understand how those two sentences are actually contradictory, right? Form fitted armor does a much better job of spreading the force over your body, than non form fitted armor, because non form fitted will find any sort of irregularity and focus the impact on that one point.

For a simple example, imagine you had a lump on your shin, and the armor covered your shin in a flat cover, without taking account of this lump. When the armor takes a blow, the lump will take the impact first, which will focus all the force of the blow onto that one spot. Now take that example, and apply it to the contours of someone's body, and you can see why having a badly fitted suit of armor would actually suck.

Mystral
2019-12-10, 12:26 AM
You understand how those two sentences are actually contradictory, right? Form fitted armor does a much better job of spreading the force over your body, than non form fitted armor, because non form fitted will find any sort of irregularity and focus the impact on that one point.

For a simple example, imagine you had a lump on your shin, and the armor covered your shin in a flat cover, without taking account of this lump. When the armor takes a blow, the lump will take the impact first, which will focus all the force of the blow onto that one spot. Now take that example, and apply it to the contours of someone's body, and you can see why having a badly fitted suit of armor would actually suck.

There's a difference between form fitting and form fitted. The former implies a piece of garment that lies very close to the body, is relatively thin and reveals the outlines of the body to any observer. Something can be form fitted without being form fitting.

As for the OP, one thing to note is that while you can increase your armor class with various spells and items, for wizards it's generally a losing battle. Common wisdom is to either really commit to it or use your spells for other kinds of defenses think mirror image. But a leather armor with a lot of defensive abilities can certainly help.

noob
2019-12-10, 12:50 AM
A mithril targe can be a good thing later on but you can not afford it right now (it is really expensive but it allows to get some of the good defensive boosts without carrying a lot nor having arcane spell failure)
By the way how much str does your character have?(watch out for encumbrance rules)
There is one armour that definitively makes the wearer more attractive: the armour of projectile attraction(a cursed item).

Crake
2019-12-10, 01:28 AM
There's a difference between form fitting and form fitted. The former implies a piece of garment that lies very close to the body, is relatively thin and reveals the outlines of the body to any observer. Something can be form fitted without being form fitting.

That's a fair call, though your description sounds more like a skin-tight garment than necessarily a form fitting garment, after all, leather armor with straps and lace would technically be considered form fitting just the same as a leotard stretching to match your body. The real difference between form fitting and form fitted is that one can be adjusted (or is self adjusting) to fit your form, while the other is pre-fitted to your form.

Mystral
2019-12-10, 02:36 AM
That's a fair call, though your description sounds more like a skin-tight garment than necessarily a form fitting garment, after all, leather armor with straps and lace would technically be considered form fitting just the same as a leotard stretching to match your body. The real difference between form fitting and form fitted is that one can be adjusted (or is self adjusting) to fit your form, while the other is pre-fitted to your form.

What people often forget is that armor isn't just some metal you wrap yourself in. There are layers and layers of material that serve to increase comfort and cushion blows and generally don't make you look "sexy".

And while we're at it.. leather armor as depicted in d&d wasn't really a thing. Especially "studded" leather armor.

Crake
2019-12-10, 02:47 AM
What people often forget is that armor isn't just some metal you wrap yourself in. There are layers and layers of material that serve to increase comfort and cushion blows and generally don't make you look "sexy".

And while we're at it.. leather armor as depicted in d&d wasn't really a thing. Especially "studded" leather armor.

Oh, I'm hardly suggesting anything like that at all, proper leather armor is quite literally like, half an inch, up to maybe an inch thick, it's chunky, tough material, it's not the bendy, flimsy stuff you'd use to make, like leather pants or a jacket.

Vaern
2019-12-10, 05:40 AM
The misc equipment takes lists a generic masterwork tool, which greaves a bonus to appropriate skill checks. This is a very open-ended listing that may allow you to consider makeup, well-tailored clothes, or perhaps even specially made armor to be a tool that enhances your social skills, at your DM's discretion.
If you wanted your armor to be specifically tailored to make you more attractive, this might be represented in game by adding the cost of a masterwork tool to the cost of the armor and having it grant a bonus to diplomacy checks.
Wearing armor also doesn't inherently make you more intimidating, but you could reasonably argue that certain design choices could be made to make a particular suit of armor more frightening and thus grant a bonus to intimidate. This one might be easier to argue for than trying to use your armor to appear more attractive.

*Edit*
Whoops, looks like the was a page 2 to the thread... That ornate quality appears to basically do the same thing that I was suggesting :P

Telonius
2019-12-10, 07:45 AM

To the average magnet, no. You'd need metal armor for that. [/dadjoke]

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-10, 07:55 AM
A mithril targe can be a good thing later on but you can not afford it right now (it is really expensive but it allows to get some of the good defensive boosts without carrying a lot nor having arcane spell failure)
By the way how much str does your character have?(watch out for encumbrance rules)
There is one armour that definitively makes the wearer more attractive: the armour of projectile attraction(a cursed item).

She has the strength of 10.

Bronk
2019-12-10, 10:51 AM
So, first of all, you can make a robe into magic armor with +0 nonmagical AC, and just skip leather armor.

However, if you really want to have armor that has something in its description that a reasonable person could interpret as being a bit extra without actually increasing skills or charisma, and if you had some gold to spare, you could go check out spidersilk (Underdark) and/or shadowsilk (Tome of Magic) armors.

Ruethgar
2019-12-10, 11:28 AM
Whenever I want to imagine my guys being in attractive wear, I tend to go for the Arms and Equipment Guide for the breakdown of outfits. Baldric, Leather Belt, Loincloth, Leather Chaps, Leather Boots, and one Leather Sleave and Shoulderpad is a perfectly reasonable outfit. So what if his chest is almost completely visible and below the belt isn't far behind?

Pathfinder's version of the BoEF is even more cringy than the book it mimics, but it does have rules for revealing armor giving bonuses to interactions with people attracted to you. I think it was called Pathfinder Vices? I would not suggest even mentioning the use in a game unless you're comfortable with everyone in group and even then would advise against spending resources from there except as maybe a brief notation on character dimensions and preferences.

Jay R
2019-12-10, 12:21 PM
The answer to most such questions is this: you got the effects listed in the books, and not any other effects.

"Do these pants make my butt look fat?"
Depends on the pants.

"Does a scarf go well with my complexion?"
Depends on the blouse.

And for the same reason:
"Does this armor make me more attractive?"
Depends on the armor.

You paid for protection. You got protection. If you want to pay more to look good, then talk to your DM and find out what your options are. Armor can be pretty or ugly, attractive or repellent. Usually it's plain and utilitarian.

If I were your DM, I would tell you, "You paid the average price; you got average armor; it doesn't affect attractiveness in any direction."

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-10, 12:29 PM
"Do these pants make my butt look fat?"The worst (read: best) answer to this question is, "No, your butt makes your butt look fat."

I hope you have a high AC, though, because you're getting smacked for that one.

magicalmagicman
2019-12-10, 12:35 PM
Male? Yes. The tin tyrant is more attractive than every male in the universe.
Female? No. But even if she becomes a Tin tyrant herself she will still be more attractive than every male in the universe.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TinTyrant

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-10, 09:07 PM
Thanks for everybody input. I really appreciate. :smile:

Yahzi Coyote
2019-12-11, 03:05 AM

Yes, masterwork armor or clothes gives you a +2 Circumstance bonus on Charisma related skills like Diplomacy and Intimidate.

If your DM disagrees, tell him I said so. That oughta fix it. :smallsmile:

Ashtagon
2019-12-11, 08:12 AM
WhePathfinder's version of the BoEF is even more cringy than the book it mimics, but it does have rules for revealing armor giving bonuses to interactions with people attracted to you. I think it was called Pathfinder Vices? I would not suggest even mentioning the use in a game unless you're comfortable with everyone in group and even then would advise against spending resources from there except as maybe a brief notation on character dimensions and preferences.

I regret googling this :smalleek:

Buufreak
2019-12-11, 11:57 AM

There is like 9 pages on cup size. WHY IS THERE 9 PAGES?! I need to bleach my brain now.

Ruethgar
2019-12-11, 11:57 AM
Yes, masterwork armor or clothes gives you a +2 Circumstance bonus on Charisma related skills like Diplomacy and Intimidate.

If your DM disagrees, tell him I said so. That oughta fix it. :smallsmile:

That is literally what the Ornate item quality does 'when wielded or worn in an appropriate setting.' Costs 400 to 600 gold though. Dragon Magazine #358 p42.

I apologize. BoEF at least tried to be somewhat tasteful, Vices is a bit more like a group of teenage boys decided to make a copy for PF, but 'make it better.'

weckar
2019-12-11, 05:57 PM
Between the BoEF, Vices, and Nymphology (and the Nymphonomicon, I guess) there's a LOT of material available.

And to all those who say Wizards should not wear amor at all, I say p'dosh. Better to not look like what you are capable of is a general rule to live by.

Troacctid
2019-12-11, 06:28 PM
Just add the glamered property for +2,700 gp. Then it can look like whatever flattering outfit you like without sacrificing any protection.

animewatcha
2019-12-11, 11:22 PM
Pretty much. DND armor entries were made with the intent of 'here are the stats for this armor and some extra info for special entries.' They weren't supposed to be chainmail bikini MMO-female sex appeal style. If you want that look, it's might be a considered a 'custom fit/ resize / etc.' which jacks up the price.

Crake
2019-12-11, 11:35 PM
And to all those who say Wizards should not wear amor at all, I say p'dosh. Better to not look like what you are capable of is a general rule to live by.

If you're playing 3.pf, you can have a Githcraft, Feycraft, Thistledown Padded Mithril Fullplate enchanted with Comfort, Twilight, Nimble and Halfweight to have it be treated as light armor (so no speed reduction), and have 0 ASF and ACP, meaning it can be worn without proficiency, and doesn't impede spellcasting at all, while still having a +4 max dex, and costing about half a 12th level character's WBL.

Then do what troacctid suggested, slap glamered on it, and convert it into the skimpiest chainmail bikini you could ever want, while retaining it's full AC bonus.

weckar
2019-12-12, 02:57 AM
If all of those are available in your setting/to your character; agreed.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-12, 05:26 PM
Thanks again, everybody. :smile:

Talakeal
2019-12-12, 05:59 PM
There is like 9 pages on cup size. WHY IS THERE 9 PAGES?! I need to bleach my brain now.

It looks like it was mostly cribbed from Macho Women with Guns d20.