PDA

View Full Version : How Many Winged Humanoid Races Are There?

Palanan
2019-12-10, 04:00 PM
How many playable winged humanoids are available in 3.5 and Pathfinder?

Off the top of my head, I can think of avariels, glouras and raptorans from 3.5, plus gathlain, strix and syrinx from Pathfinder. How many more are there? I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder sources, plus Dragon content, and I’ll also take Pathfinder 3PP if there’s anything interesting in there.

For my purposes, I’m only interested in races for which wings are a normal part of the baseline species, as opposed to wings gained through rituals, templates, grafts, etc. I’m also not counting anthropomorphic bats, hengeyokai sparrows, or similar non-humanoid options.

Given this, how many winged humanoids are available as player races?

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-10, 06:58 PM
For first-party Pathfinder, there's the wyvaran (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyvaran-17-rp/). Adding to that, aasimar can acquire wings through a chain of feats, while kobolds can get gliding wings via alternate racial traits and upgrade them to full flight through feats. Werebat-Kin Skinwalkers can gain flight as a change shape option via Bloodmarked Flight, while Wereraptor-Kin can't get true flight but can augment flight from other sources with their racial traits.

For third-party, there's the suqur (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/suqur), an Akashic race that can only fly when they have essence invested in their wings.

I believe that Starfinder also has a couple of races which are flight-capable. Porting them back into PF or 3.5e wouldn't be any great ordeal.

Crake
2019-12-10, 07:00 PM
How many playable winged humanoids are available in 3.5 and Pathfinder?

Off the top of my head, I can think of avariels, glouras and raptorans from 3.5, plus gathlain, strix and syrinx from Pathfinder. How many more are there? I’m open to all official 3.5 and Pathfinder sources, plus Dragon content, and I’ll also take Pathfinder 3PP if there’s anything interesting in there.

For my purposes, I’m only interested in races for which wings are a normal part of the baseline species, as opposed to wings gained through rituals, templates, grafts, etc. I’m also not counting anthropomorphic bats, hengeyokai sparrows, or similar non-humanoid options.

Given this, how many winged humanoids are available as player races?

Glouras are fey, not humanoid, and as far as I'm aware for 3.5, avariel and raptoran are it.

NigelWalmsley
2019-12-10, 08:16 PM
Do you mean humanoid as in "has the type Humanoid" or humanoid as in "has a body plan that is basically like a human"?

Elkad
2019-12-10, 11:08 PM
Hadozee can glide, so sorta-winged.

The Viscount
2019-12-11, 10:41 PM
Dragonborn with the wings aspect.

I'm assuming we're setting aside class or template derived wings?

BlackOnyx
2019-12-12, 12:09 AM
I'm assuming we're setting aside class or template derived wings?

On the off-chance that racial/heritage based feats might qualify for the discussion:

Dragontouched (Dragon Magic) & Dragon Wings (Races of Destiny) can be taken by humans at first level. (Dragonwrought Kobolds can elect to take Wings at third level.)

Outsider Wings (Races of Faerun) can be taken by Aasimar or Tieflings.

Vestigial Wings (Fiendish Codex I) can be taken by those with access to Abyssal Heritor feats.

Dimers
2019-12-12, 12:15 AM
PF plumekith aasimar: "The majority of these aasimars have shimmering wings ..." They're not described as having any kind of aerial movement trait, though, if that matters.

ManicOppressive
2019-12-12, 12:54 AM
Swiftwing Shifters get to fly 20 ft/rd//Avg during their shifting, which is probably worth mentioning.

Tvtyrant
2019-12-12, 10:11 AM
The Dragon Wings feat lets any Dragon blooded individual have wings.

Firest Kathon
2019-12-12, 10:29 AM
PF plumekith aasimar: "The majority of these aasimars have shimmering wings ..." They're not described as having any kind of aerial movement trait, though, if that matters.

Any Aasimar can gain usable wings by taking the Angel Wings (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/angel-wings-aasimar) racial feat.

liquidformat
2019-12-12, 10:36 AM
Swiftwing Shifters get to fly 20 ft/rd//Avg during their shifting, which is probably worth mentioning.

If you pull in dragon content there is also Broadwing Shifter

Mystral
2019-12-12, 10:37 AM
Any Aasimar can gain usable wings by taking the Angel Wings (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/angel-wings-aasimar) racial feat.

One race not yet mentioned would be the air variant of mephlings. They're in planar handbook. Not really an awesome race and their fly speed is really low, but I think it's the only LA +1 race that has wings. So that's something.

They look relatively human. Think "halfling genasi".

Zombulian
2019-12-12, 10:38 AM
Wait why not count Hengeyokai? They don’t have to be in true sparrow form, they have a hybrid form they can choose. In addition to Sparrow, there’s a Crane Hengeyokai with a winged humanoid form.
Also Dragon 318 updated Hengeyokai to LA +0 and gave them the Humanoid (Shapeshifter) type so they are humanoid in both shape and type.

Firest Kathon
2019-12-13, 05:59 AM
For first-party Pathfinder, there's the wyvaran (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/advanced-races-11-20-rp/wyvaran-17-rp/). Adding to that, aasimar can acquire wings through a chain of feats, while kobolds can get gliding wings via alternate racial traits and upgrade them to full flight through feats. Werebat-Kin Skinwalkers can gain flight as a change shape option via Bloodmarked Flight, while Wereraptor-Kin can't get true flight but can augment flight from other sources with their racial traits.

Just noticed that you ninja'd me on the Aasimar feats. Also, besides the Skinwalkers, a Werebat lycantrophe (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/lycanthrope/lycanthrope-werebat/) in hybrid or animal form has wings (and if I'm not mistaken, a werebat in animal form still has the Humanoid type).

Prime32
2019-12-13, 02:02 PM
On the off-chance that racial/heritage based feats might qualify for the discussion:

Dragontouched (Dragon Magic) & Dragon Wings (Races of Destiny) can be taken by humans at first level. (Dragonwrought Kobolds can elect to take Wings at third level.)

Outsider Wings (Races of Faerun) can be taken by Aasimar or Tieflings.

Vestigial Wings (Fiendish Codex I) can be taken by those with access to Abyssal Heritor feats.
There's also the aberrant feat Starspawn in Lords of Madness. Requires Aberration Blood, which is only available to humanoids.*

* Dragon has a "Mourning Mutate" feat which counts as Aberration Blood but lacks the type restriction.

Troacctid
2019-12-13, 02:45 PM
Do you mean humanoid as in "has the type Humanoid" or humanoid as in "has a body plan that is basically like a human"?
Not OP but since gloura was given as an example, I think we can safely assume the latter.

I'll add aarakocra, fey'ri, and pixie.

Thurbane
2019-12-13, 03:22 PM
In addition to what's been mentioned:

Humanoid
Saurial, Flyer

Monstrous Humanoid
Nycter

(although if anthro bats are excluded by OP, probably won't be interesting in these)

Outsider
Gloaming

Palanan
2019-12-13, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing
For first-party Pathfinder, there's the wyvaran.

Originally Posted by Mystral
One race not yet mentioned would be the air variant of mephlings.

Originally Posted by Troacctid
I'll add aarakocra…and pixie.

Originally Posted by Thurbane
In addition to what's been mentioned:

Humanoid
Saurial, Flyer

Monstrous Humanoid
Nycter

These are great and extremely helpful, thanks. The gloaming is also an excellent catch. (Not all fey’ri have wings, so doesn’t meet the criteria.)

Originally Posted by The OP
For my purposes, I’m only interested in races for which wings are a normal part of the baseline species, as opposed to wings gained through rituals, templates, grafts, etc.

I didn’t realize there were so many ways to gain wings through feats, or I would have included them in the line above as outside the scope of my needs.

Originally Posted by Some Forgotten Realms Source
*mystery species*

I vaguely recall there is an extremely obscure race from the Forgotten Realms, some sort of reptilians which may be outsiders, who have serious emotional issues with servants of the divine. I thought I recalled they had wings, but I can’t bring the memory into focus.

Does anyone know what race I mean? Reptilian outsider humanoids, possibly with wings, and devoted to exterminating worshippers of deities, or something along those lines.

Thurbane
2019-12-13, 05:26 PM
You might possibly be thinking of Lizard King (Serpent Kingdoms p.68), which are basically a Half-fiend Lizardfolk?

Also, thought of another race:

Outsider
Protectar (MH)

Tzardok
2019-12-13, 06:04 PM
I vaguely recall there is an extremely obscure race from the Forgotten Realms, some sort of reptilians which may be outsiders, who have serious emotional issues with servants of the divine. I thought I recalled they had wings, but I can’t bring the memory into focus.

Does anyone know what race I mean? Reptilian outsider humanoids, possibly with wings, and devoted to exterminating worshippers of deities, or something along those lines.

You are talking about the Kir-Lanan, which are winged monstrous humanoids with negative energy abilities that are sometimes considered a sub race of gargoyles. The Kir-Lanan were born during the Time of Troubles from the energies unleashed by all those murdered gods. Because of that they don't have souls and don't get an afterlife. As they feel betrayed by the gods, they swore to kill them the only way they can: by eradicating their worshippers.

Palanan
2019-12-13, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tzardok
You are talking about the Kir-Lanan....

That's them exactly, thanks. It's been years since I read their entry, so a few details got a little muzzy.

Allanimal
2019-12-13, 09:42 PM
The Marrash is a winged outsider from MM2. They were given LA +6 in the 3.5 update book, so they are playable. Technically.
And they look like winged gnolls, so mostly humanoid shaped.

Ruethgar
2019-12-15, 09:43 AM
Fairly sure Fey’ri all have wings by default they can just toggle them so they aren’t screaming hey I’m a half demon!