PDA

View Full Version : Sharktooth Staff and Constrict

SnugUndies
2019-12-10, 05:04 PM
I've got to be honest, I'm a sucker for synergy - this is why I got so into 3.5 edition, surely. So when my attention was brought to using a Sharktooth Staff while in the Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance, I got dangerously excited. The only problem is... well, it involves grappling. I'm sure everyone's tired of dozens of threads asking for the same clarifications regarding grappling rules, but I wanted to just confirm a couple things here if people wouldn't mind weighing in!

1. Once you've grappled someone with the sharktooth staff, it says you "may choose to deal normal damage for the weapon on subsequent rounds without making further attack rolls against the grappled victim." So it automatically deals the 2d6+1.5Str on your turn each round you maintain the grapple, but does this preclude making attack rolls? Or is it free damage in addition to your normal actions you can perform in a grapple?

2. The Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance grants Constrict, with the clarification "You can constrict an opponent that you grapple by making a successful grapple check." Does this mean the Constrict damage is granted for free every time I make the "damage your opponent" action in a grapple? Or is it granted on every grapple check - i.e. the one required to initiate the grapple, any time I prevent an opponent from trying to escape a grapple, etc.

3. Let's say I have armor spikes. They're stated to "allow you to deal extra piercing damage on a successful grapple attack." Does the 'extra' damage refer to the fact that they probably deal more than the 1d3 you deal for damaging your opponent in a grapple, or does it mean that's in addition to the regular damage? To put it more plainly, does using armor spikes in a grapple deal 1d6 piercing damage or 1d6 piercing + 1d3 nonlethal?

4. Since armor spikes are light weapons, that means they can also be used in a grapple in terms of the "attack your opponent" action. So does this mean I can choose to use armor spikes against my opponent by either making an attacking roll with a -4 penalty, or by making an opposed grapple check? (Only the latter of which would trigger Constrict damage?)