PDA

View Full Version : Major character who has only appeared on 1 page in the entire OOTS saga

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gift Jeraff
2019-12-10, 08:06 PM
Figured I'd make a thread where people can speculate who this might be, as mentioned in the preview for Book 7:

What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you're not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out

So far I'm thinking either the orange voice from #1189 or Shoulderpad Guy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html) (whose only other appearance was a minor cameo in Haleo & Julelan). Or maybe it's whoever was casting the green scrying eye from strip #698.

brian 333
2019-12-10, 08:32 PM
Ms. Toormuck only appeared in Shojo's tale.

LadyEowyn
2019-12-10, 08:41 PM
Orange Voice seems like the most obvious prospect.

GreeleyCPS
2019-12-10, 08:48 PM
Ms. Toormuck only appeared in Shojo's tale.

Not quite - Serini was in multiple pages in Shojo's story, and she was also seen (with the rest of the Order of the Scribble) in the crayon section of Start of Darkness.

BaronOfHell
2019-12-10, 08:53 PM
Is it too early to suggest Japan?

Schroeswald
2019-12-10, 08:58 PM
Aunt Ivy has only one page, I don't think its her but I'm throwing her out as a possibility

Peelee
2019-12-10, 09:00 PM
Is it too early to suggest Japan?

Who is Japan?

Ornithologist
2019-12-10, 09:23 PM
My vote is Serini, though she has appeared in 7 pages as per the appearance thread... she has 1 as a drawing and the rest as crayon flashbacks. All of that said, the total list of available people seems really short.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 09:27 PM
My vote is Serini, though she has appeared in 7 pages

Your vote is that the Giant lied? :smallconfused:

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-10, 09:31 PM
The wording on the Giant's statement is interesting. It could mean this character's never appeared in any of the prequel stories. It could also mean that they've exclusively appeared in one of the prequel stories. Probably the former, since Start of Darkness and the like aren't intended to be mandatory reading to follow the plot of the comic, but still, interesting.

HorizonWalker
2019-12-10, 09:37 PM
Shoulderpad Guy, assuming we mean the one from the Vector Legion, is in fact in at least two pages- one in a flashback to Tarquin talking to the Vector Legion and pitching his plan to them, and one in a cutaway to him and Miron advising the Weeping King.

Turin_19
2019-12-10, 09:38 PM
What are Elan's thrice-repeated syllable that could be said about the Unknown Energy that felled the paladins? Has it anything to do with this?

LadyEowyn
2019-12-10, 09:41 PM
What are Elan's thrice-repeated syllable that could be said about the Unknown Energy that felled the paladins? Has it anything to do with this?

Dun dun dun!

Turin_19
2019-12-10, 09:42 PM
Hahaha yeah. Thanks. Yeah. Oooh. That’s slow of me!

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-10, 09:43 PM
Shoulderpad Guy, assuming we mean the one from the Vector Legion, is in fact in at least two pages- one in a flashback to Tarquin talking to the Vector Legion and pitching his plan to them, and one in a cutaway to him and Miron advising the Weeping King.

Those are from the same page, actually, and the one Gift Jeraff linked to, to be specific.

Schroeswald
2019-12-10, 09:57 PM
I don’t think Shoulderpad guy counts if he was in H&J as Gift says.

Peelee
2019-12-10, 10:10 PM
Obviously we shall see the true wrath of Xyklon the Consequential!

Ornithologist
2019-12-10, 10:12 PM
Your vote is that the Giant lied? :smallconfused:

More that he didn't clarify what appearance meant. So, is he counting any kind of visual representation, like we do for the thread; or is it specifically an appearance on camera. So do in character drawings count? Do flash backs? ( my thought is yes on the flashbacks, though maybe crayon drawings dont?)

We know he likes to be tricksy and clever, so I'm going with there is some form of trickery afoot.

On a more serious thought, how many pages did the gnome artificer lady appear on... She might be helpful, if singularly unable to get there.

Toad
2019-12-10, 10:19 PM
Elan's signature "Dun dun dun".

Anyway, for whatever reason, my first instinct was The King of Nowhere. Obviously, that makes no sense, because he's nowhere (heh) near that far north.

If we want wacky and zany guesses, the Grimm Reaper has appeared in a single gag panel and never in any of the prequels. He might have something to do with Belkar.

But since Serini Toormuck, the obvious choice, appears in more than one page, the only thing that would make sense to me is an Eastern God. A lot of them are only on one page. Apollo, Artemis, etc. It's possible that one of them actually escaped the Snarl, maybe inside the Starmetal or something, since it's associated with Green and Roy's sword. But that's still pretty crack pot for my tastes

CriticalFailure
2019-12-10, 10:34 PM
Well, maybe one somehow ended up in the world in the rifts

Ornithologist
2019-12-10, 11:16 PM
Okay, two semi serious considerations. Both are currently dead, but could maybe get involved somehow.

Orrin Draketooth and Mia Starshine, Haleys Mom. I think most, but not all of the eastern gods might be a consideration as well.

I'm still banking on Serini, personally. And Redcloaks niece has had too many pages for sure, but could still come into play before the end of the story.

Is it weird that The Justice League is likely to be the strongest contenders for a while? :smalltongue:

Aeliren
2019-12-10, 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure H&J technically isn't a prequel, so it probably doesn't count.

But it's pretty clear who it is. It's obviously going to be Sir Thumb the Digit Knight (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0864.html).

Peelee
2019-12-10, 11:33 PM
More that he didn't clarify what appearance meant. So, is he counting any kind of visual representation, like we do for the thread; or is it specifically an appearance on camera. So do in character drawings count? Do flash backs? ( my thought is yes on the flashbacks, though maybe crayon drawings dont?)

We know he likes to be tricksy and clever, so I'm going with there is some form of trickery afoot.

Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.

brian 333
2019-12-11, 12:02 AM
okay, Serinni is disqualified.

That means it must be Batman.

I will have to read the 'Number of Character Appearances' topic before I reread the comic.

Ruck
2019-12-11, 01:51 AM

If we're getting technical, I don't think Haleo & Julelan counts as a prequel; it's really an alternate continuity (similar to Snips Snails & Dragon Tales).

Shoulder Pads Guy, or one of the two voices we just met, seem like the most straightforward to me, but I'd have to think about it some more. I thought I had an interesting answer from one of the prequels, but it turned out to not meet the requirements of only one page of appearances.

factotum
2019-12-11, 02:13 AM
Well, obviously it's going to be Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson! :smallwink:

Aeliren
2019-12-11, 02:18 AM
Well, obviously it's going to be Gary Gygax or Dave Arneson! :smallwink:
Don't be silly. It's clearly gonna be Tony the Celestial (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0292.html).

Fyraltari
2019-12-11, 03:00 AM
How has none of you mentionned Fruit Pie the Sorcerer yet?

For shame.

Quartz
2019-12-11, 05:10 AM
How about Zeus? He has only one appearance IIRC though is mentioned a number of times.

SlashDash
2019-12-11, 05:46 AM
Obviously it's the Displacer Beasts!

On a more serious note, what about the people Hinjo was talking to when he got the sending from the oots? He was negotiating with someone. Maybe they can send a party to help or something just like he got the elves to send help to the resistance?

Another weird option? Tiamat
She technically appeared once if I recall, despite being mentioned by the oracle and the IFCC

Fyraltari
2019-12-11, 06:16 AM
How about Zeus? He has only one appearance IIRC though is mentioned a number of times.
One. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) Two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html). Three. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1141.html)

On a more serious note, what about the people Hinjo was talking to when he got the sending from the oots? He was negotiating with someone.
He was fighting (www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?p=24303730&noquote=1) with someone.

Another weird option? Tiamat
She technically appeared once if I recall, despite being mentioned by the oracle and the IFCC
One. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html) Two. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) Three. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html)

Also she shows up in SoD.

HeraldOfExius
2019-12-11, 06:19 AM
Clearly Giggles, being a god of action, it's going to show up his brother who couldn't even do anything when gods were central to the plot of an entire book.

Fyraltari
2019-12-11, 06:33 AM
I would have guessed V's former master, Aarindarius but they appear in both main continuity and a prequel comic. Drat.

Schroeswald
2019-12-11, 07:14 AM

For shame.

He has 4 pages apparently, so it can’t be him (new theory, Firestorm! Batman has at least two pages cause SoD but I think he only has one).

Quartz
2019-12-11, 07:41 AM
One. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html) Two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html). Three. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1141.html)

Two of those are crayons, not sticks. (BTW the second crayon drawing shows Zeus surviving).

Schroeswald
2019-12-11, 07:55 AM
Two of those are crayons, not sticks. (BTW the second crayon drawing shows Zeus surviving).

So? Like, why does the crayon aspect matter, he said one page, in all of OOTS, not one where they were sticks (in any case those were sticks, more stick than anything in UD, just ones drawn with different tools).

Also, the second crayon drawing doesn’t, it shows him saying his last words before he dies, and the narration clearly says he died, there is no reasonable interpretation that would have that strip saying he survived.

Oh, and one has two pages with him so Zeus has 4 pages overall.

Euclidodese
2019-12-11, 08:42 AM
The Little Psion That Could! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0494.html) Perhaps it was a memoir, rather than a novel.

He 'Could' back when the book was written, and that was at least 25 years ago... Who knows how much he's grown in that time. Perhaps now he more than 'Could.'

Maybe by now, he's become 'The Little Psion That Will!'

Grey Watcher
2019-12-11, 09:13 AM
I nominate the gnome news fox (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html).

woweedd
2019-12-11, 09:34 AM
To the Character Appearances Thread!

Ornithologist
2019-12-11, 09:41 AM
Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.

To be fair, you are following all your own rules you gave. I'm reading this overall hint as along the lines of the prophecies he scattered through the books. They have all been both accurate and subverted. The 4 words, etc etc. (I don't think Belkar is gonna survive though, but that is off topic). Frankly, I'm expecting the person in question to be a background character who doesn't even have a name as of yet. It feels like its going to have a riddle like answer. In short, I've made my guess based on how I interpreted the statement. And I think the actual pool of choices is pretty small.

For shame.

He is showing 2 pages on the character thread, Though I am not sure where the second is right now.

Do the two guys that Durkon recruits in OtOoPCs appear on multiple pages?

Peelee
2019-12-11, 09:50 AM
To be fair, you are following all your own rules you gave.

Didnt day I wasn't, I was saying that'd be a cheap move, since most everyone would expect an integer and not an irrational number.

Maybe a better example would have been to have the number be 4.90999999999998999. Not even a famous number, a pretty finite number that absolutely nobody would ever guess and on the reveal isn't clever in the slightest despite being technically within the confines of the rules.

Also, most prophecies were not subverted. I'd argue only Durkon's was.

Quebbster
2019-12-11, 10:13 AM
Does Redcloak's niece show up on multiple pages? She probably does, but I can't check right now.

Fyraltari
2019-12-11, 10:17 AM
Does Redcloak's niece show up on multiple pages? She probably does, but I can't check right now.
I did. She does.

Quebbster
2019-12-11, 10:35 AM
I did. She does.

Ah well, she will probably turn up closer to the climax anyway.

Riftwolf
2019-12-11, 10:53 AM
I'm going with Amir. It all makes sense. Now is Amir's time to shine.

On a more serious note, was there anyone from the LG afterlife who could be a hidden ally? Roy and his Archon planned something before he got rezzed, but the only people who fit the bill are Enrique and Tony. Maybe the pink haired elf (or LG version of a succubus?) from the Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands.

HeraldOfExius
2019-12-11, 11:48 AM
On a less ridiculous but still way out there note, does the red haired elf in Eugene's adventuring party (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0491.html) show up anywhere else? I was originally checking to see if the cherubs are only on that page, but they unfortunately all show up in the first panel of the next page, so it can't be one of them.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-11, 11:51 AM
They’re in SOD in a panel or two or three.

D.One
2019-12-11, 01:34 PM
Both Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson appeared once each, and they are fundamental to the very existence of the story.

What about the King of Nowhere or the Weeping King?

Riftwolf
2019-12-11, 02:12 PM
A potentially facetious answer would be Green Voice from the last comic. Depends on how trolly Rich was feeling when he wrote the comment.

Ornithologist
2019-12-11, 02:40 PM
Didnt day I wasn't, I was saying that'd be a cheap move, ....

Also, most prophecies were not subverted. I'd argue only Durkon's was.

I don't disagree with that being a cheap move, I just think its something that he might do on the basis of the prophesies.

On the the prophesies themselves, I'd argue that all but Belkar's first one have been subverted from what was expected. Well, maybe Haley's too. Point is they are full of tricks and weird meanings. saying the word I twice for example.

In any case I am expecting to be wrong on my idea, but I think defining what the Giant thinks counts as an appearance will inform us as to the total pool of people. Also, I'm really glad this is going to be a short term hint.

---

The Green voice is on two pages, but the Orange voice is on one.

I'd say if he were really trolling us it would be like the Monty Python Sketch about the Blemonges from Outer space. There is a background character with no lines from one panel in like the beginning of the 5th book who would have helped tons and knew about everything, if only the order had talked to them there...

edit: I just remembered Straybot, and that would make me giggle for a long while if that somehow became the answer to the hint.

Peelee
2019-12-11, 03:18 PM
I don't disagree with that being a cheap move, I just think its something that he might do on the basis of the prophesies.

On the the prophesies themselves, I'd argue that all but Belkar's first one have been subverted from what was expected. Well, maybe Haley's too. Point is they are full of tricks and weird meanings. saying the word I twice for example.

But they're not full of tricks. The word count works just like it would in a Sending spell, which has an explicit word count limit and doesn't care what the words are. It was, thus, very straightforward, if unexpected. Likewise, Elan getting a happy ending hasn't happened yet but will defi itely not be subverted per author commentary, Haley didn't question the date with "Elan," Xykon was in his throne room, between the two gates presented Xykon was closer to Girard's first, Belkar killed the Oracle.... How would you argue any of these were subverted or full of trickery? They're about as straightforward as possible.

Ornithologist
2019-12-11, 04:15 PM
Not to stray too far off topic but:

I'm discounting Elan's Prophecy and Belkar's Death Prophecy as they are not fulfilled yet. (though I cannot imagine that Elans being subverted.)

I think Prophecies being fulfilled in an unexpected way counts as tricks and/or weird meanings. Please be aware I have enjoyed all of them very much,

Xykon in his throne room answer: is the epitome of an unhelpful response that is technically correct. I'd call it the cheapest of the Oracle's answers.

the questions between two gates is a classic loophole of a third option Roy forgot about. Even The jerk of an Oracle tried to fix that one for him. While this was straight forward for us, this one caught Roy off guard pretty hard.

Durkon's was straight forward, in that he returned after death. But, was weird in that his corpse was still quite active.

V's was unexpected because people weren't guessing sentences with a repeated word. The fact that the giant had to clarify it in the printed book commentary is enough for me to qualify it as such.

Belkar's First prophecy was literally a commentary on the normal kind of prophecy shenanigans that stories like to do. And it played out straight after all the weird/tricksy arguments got presented.

Haley's is the least deep of any of them. I don't recall much if any forum speculations on this one, especially since it was cleared up so quickly compare to the others.

Blackwings I don't think counts, because a) we don't know what he said. We think its about getting V to remember Blackwing more. b) I thought it was the joke of the page. c) We don't know if he even followed his advise.

To use your words, straight forward and unexpected, can totally apply here. He said specifically that the new ally has appeared once in total in the main saga and prequels together. We don't know if he defined appear as on camera (like the majority of appearances). Or, do statues and/or in universe drawings count? We count them in the appearances thread, but we tend to be just a bit more through than the Giant on some things. I'm of the thought that we could have accidentally ruled out someone who could fit the bill because we counted a page that the Giant didn't. And Narratively speaking, I think Serini makes the most sense to be a temporary ally. Also, I fully expect to be wrong, the aforementioned unexpected bias being what it is.

It's likely that I mis-used the term subversion when I earlier (rather, I should have gone with twisted resolution/unexpected), but I am sure he likes to be a bit "exact words" kind of misleading in the commentaries. Take for example he line from the DStP where he said someone would die and someone would take a drink. (I'm paraphrasing a bit, I don't have the book on hand.) No one was likely getting that he meant the same event until it happened. Accurate and unexpected!

suppose the TLDR is that I'm expecting to be surprised at who the new ally is.

Crusher
2019-12-11, 04:39 PM

For shame.

Curse you for beating me to it.

SlashDash
2019-12-11, 05:12 PM
The point of V's prophecy weren't the words they'd pick but rather when and to whom.

Instead of "I I must succeed" they could have said "very well, I accept" or even "sure, what the heck" and nothing would change.

I don't see any tricks that was being played here at all.

I also don't see any problem with Durkon's prophecy. Heck, before he died he even said that exactly that he knows he will go home. The fact that he later got animated changed nothing.

Heck, the "weird" thing would be if the party had killed the vampire and resurrected Durkon *before* he got to his homeland. Then he would have returned passed his death with nothing changed.

Him coming back as an undead seems as straight forward as they come and I don't recall, but I'm pretty sure that some people even wagered on that when it was said initially.

Blackwings I don't think counts, because a) we don't know what he said. We think its about getting V to remember Blackwing more. b) I thought it was the joke of the page. c) We don't know if he even followed his advise.

HOLY FOX!
I never realized that Blackwing asked a question. I don't know why, but I always thought that he was sneaking and stealing their money back from the Oracle.
Have no idea how I possibly missed that!

Peelee
2019-12-11, 05:15 PM
Not to stray too far off topic but:

I'm discounting Elan's Prophecy and Belkar's Death Prophecy as they are not fulfilled yet. (though I cannot imagine that Elans being subverted.)

I think Prophecies being fulfilled in an unexpected way counts as tricks and/or weird meanings.
Fair on Elan's and Belkar's death. However...

Xykon in his throne room answer: is the epitome of an unhelpful response that is technically correct. I'd call it the cheapest of the Oracle's answers.
Not subverted , not fulfilled in an unexpected way, no trick and/or weird meaning. Jerk response, sure, but a pretty straightforward answer.

the questions between two gates is a classic loophole of a third option Roy forgot about. Even The jerk of an Oracle tried to fix that one for him. While this was straight forward for us, this one caught Roy off guard pretty hard.
Not subverted, not fulfilled in an unexpected way, no trick an/or weird meaning. Roy outplayed himself.

V's was unexpected because people weren't guessing sentences with a repeated word. The fact that the giant had to clarify it in the printed book commentary is enough for me to qualify it as such.
V said four words (regardless of whether some people weren't guessing repeated words, the world they're in doesn't care, as evidenced by the Sending spell) to the right people at the right time for the wrong reasons. It was not subverted, no trick and/or weird meaning. That people weren't able to guess "literally selling their soul for it" does not make it fulfilled in an unexpected way, in the sense we're talking about - faustian bargains are pretty standard D&D devil fair, after all.

Belkar's First prophecy was literally a commentary on the normal kind of prophecy shenanigans that stories like to do. And it played out straight after all the weird/tricksy arguments got presented.
You agree that it's not a subversion, not unexpected, and no weird trick and/or meaning.

Haley's is the least deep of any of them. I don't recall much if any forum speculations on this one, especially since it was cleared up so quickly compare to the others.
Second fifth verse, same as the first.

So, from all the Oracle's prophecies that we know have come true, only Durkon's was really a twist of any sort, in that he was dead but not in the traditional sense we think of. Every single other one was more or less straight, not misleading in the slightest. Given that track record, and those prophecies being from a kobold who explicitly did not like humanoids, I don't see why the statement from the author would be any less straightforward and non-misleading.

Reboot
2019-12-11, 05:45 PM
But since Serini Toormuck, the obvious choice, appears in more than one page, the only thing that would make sense to me is an Eastern God. A lot of them are only on one page. Apollo, Artemis, etc. It's possible that one of them actually escaped the Snarl, maybe inside the Starmetal or something, since it's associated with Green and Roy's sword. But that's still pretty crack pot for my tastes

They "become an important ally in the first half of the next book". If an Eastern God survived, is available and allies with the OOTS... that pretty much wipes out any need for the Dark One, no? Durkon's whole Mission From Thor becomes a red herring.

Fyraltari
2019-12-11, 06:04 PM
Also, I'm really glad this is going to be a short term hint.

Yeah, we probably will have our answer before 2024 is over!

LadyEowyn
2019-12-11, 06:37 PM
A potentially facetious answer would be Green Voice from the last comic. Depends on how trolly Rich was feeling when he wrote the comment.
Green voice is technically in multiple pages (of a multi-page strip). But Orange Voice is only in one - and since Orange Voice is only in one panel, presumably opposed to Xykon, and already present at the final Gate, I’d say that’s by far the most probable answer.

Turin_19
2019-12-11, 07:25 PM
Green voice is technically in multiple pages (of a multi-page strip). But Orange Voice is only in one - and since Orange Voice is only in one panel, presumably opposed to Xykon, and already present at the final Gate, I’d say that’s by far the most probable answer.

The giant did call it energy, right?

Is there anything that can be concluded from
This?

knag
2019-12-11, 07:33 PM
Curse you for beating me to it.

My thoughts exactly, though I will point out that Fruit Pie also appears in H&J.

My vote is for Mr. Belvedere. Or maybe Corporal Yamada

Honorable mention:
Orrin Draketooth
Shoulderpads Guy

Ruck
2019-12-11, 07:33 PM

This?

Called what energy?

ElderSage
2019-12-11, 07:39 PM
They "become an important ally in the first half of the next book". If an Eastern God survived, is available and allies with the OOTS... that pretty much wipes out any need for the Dark One, no? Durkon's whole Mission From Thor becomes a red herring.

Although, they might need five different colors of quiddity to keep it permanently sealed. Only four colors means that they're equally matched, but the Snarl can kill them much easier than they can it. So, even if an Eastern God is still alive, the Dark One might be necessary.

This?

Something from the Outer or Astral Planes, perhaps, that wouldn't necessarily have a physical form?

Reboot
2019-12-11, 08:26 PM
Although, they might need five different colors of quiddity to keep it permanently sealed. Only four colors means that they're equally matched, but the Snarl can kill them much easier than they can it. So, even if an Eastern God is still alive, the Dark One might be necessary.

Five colours would mean they could unmake the Snarl completely (provided they could get close enough, or create something that could), not just seal it. But that's a twist for AFTER the Dark One is on board, at most, since it would otherwise mean Plan T is accomplished early in the last chapter and the threat of the Snarl - and thus Redcloak & the Dark One's leverage for Goblin Equality and all that - is essentially gone. The four sets of gods seal Kragor's Gate beyond the ability of TDO's Ritual to open it on any of their home planes.

It just kills most of the drama built up over the chapters so far, especially Utterly Dwarfed - not to mention any reason for Redcloak & Xykon to not immediately turn on each other.

LadyEowyn
2019-12-11, 09:13 PM
Yes. The whole point of the plot around the quiddities is that now the heroes can’t address their problem (the threat of the world being destroyed) without addressing the goblinoids’ problem (built-in metaphysical inequality).

Rich isn’t going to provide an end-run around that challenge by using the Eastern Gods, because the introduction of that challenge is very deliberate on his part. He’s written at length about the implicit bigotry in how monster races are often viewed/treated in D&D, and about his desire to address real-world issues with his strip.

If the Eastern Gods are introduced, it will not be as an alternative to reaching an accommodation with The Dark One and/or Redcloak.

Ruck
2019-12-11, 09:29 PM
Yes. The whole point of the plot around the quiddities is that now the heroes can’t address their problem (the threat of the world being destroyed) without addressing the goblinoids’ problem (built-in metaphysical inequality).

Rich isn’t going to provide an end-run around that challenge by using the Eastern Gods, because the introduction of that challenge is very deliberate on his part. He’s written at length about the implicit bigotry in how monster races are often viewed/treated in D&D, and about his desire to address real-world issues with his strip.

If the Eastern Gods are introduced, it will not be as an alternative to reaching an accommodation with The Dark One and/or Redcloak.

*100 emoji*

CriticalFailure
2019-12-11, 09:40 PM
I think there will be a better five quidditch solution but the goblin faction will be involved and their valid grievances addressed.

Sir_Norbert
2019-12-11, 10:44 PM

It's precisely because it's so obvious that it can't possibly be the answer. It would be completely unsatisfying.

We knew as soon as we read #1189 that the voices were characters who are going to be significant next book. If the new hint refers to them, then there is no exciting new reveal. We are already speculating and guessing about who the voices are; Rich has no need to waste ink on making that feel more mysterious.

Fish
2019-12-12, 01:59 AM
one of the adventurers Durkon tried to hire in the first book
the gnome artificer who was helping Belkar
the kobolds who rescued the Oracle

Trouble is, it could be just about anybody.

Savil
2019-12-12, 03:03 AM
Obviously, it's the Ghost Flumph (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0526.html). He's also the orange voice. Mystery solved.

Ruck
2019-12-12, 03:13 AM
Tony the Celestial or the King of Nowhere would be fun, but I don't see how either one would happen or why.

There's so little to go on that I have trouble hooking on to anything that would make sense for one option or another.

The Pilgrim
2019-12-12, 04:50 AM
What, you still want a hint of something specific yet to come? Something you're not expecting? OK, how about this: Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book. Good luck figuring that one out

My bet is the fellow with a green-speech-bubble (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1189.html) who has so far only appeared in exactly one page, the last one of Book 6.

"Good luck figuring that one out", as that caracter has only appeared under invisibility.

factotum
2019-12-12, 06:26 AM
"Good luck figuring that one out", as that caracter has only appeared under invisibility.

Except several people have already raised that as a possibility, so it can't be all that obscure!

The Pilgrim
2019-12-12, 07:48 AM
Yes, but figuring out what it is, is a whole different deal.

Quebbster
2019-12-12, 08:36 AM
My bet is the fellow with a green-speech-bubble (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1189.html) who has so far only appeared in exactly one page, the last one of Book 6.

Except the green voice appears on two pages of the last strip, which is Three pages long.
The orange voice only appears on one page though.

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-12, 08:43 AM
For a really niche guess, there's the Angel-Roach (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0193.html). They only appeared in that one strip (that I'm aware of) and the Demon-roaches have played a role in the story before.

It's not much, but then, we don't have much to go on.

skim172
2019-12-12, 10:24 AM
I would have guessed V's former master, Aarindarius but they appear in both main continuity and a prequel comic. Drat.

Technically, Aarindarius' appearance in the main strip has only been in hypothetical (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0630.html) scenarios (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html).

If we twist and contrive our interpretation of "appeared in exactly (1) page of the story" to mean "actually participating as part of the actual plot" ... then we could say A's only real appearance is in the prequel when evicting V from the ivory tower.

Yeah, I'm not buying it either. :smallconfused:

Draconi Redfir
2019-12-12, 10:37 AM
Maybe Elan's mom? How many times has she shown up?

KatsOfLoathing
2019-12-12, 10:45 AM
Maybe Elan's mom? How many times has she shown up?

At least once in a cutaway gag (possibly more that I'm not remembering) and again inside Girard's Final Boss illusion, so I'd say she's out.

Kelenius
2019-12-12, 11:18 AM
Maybe it could be one of Azure City's allies (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)?

Fish
2019-12-12, 12:49 PM
Obscure guesses:

one of the souls in Lee’s inbox
a resident of Lickmyorangeballshalfling
the doily
the dragon on the cover of Playdrake
the builders who assembled Dorukan’s dungeon

halfeye
2019-12-12, 01:03 PM
It's obviously MitD, he's been in lots of pages but I don't think he's actually appeared in any.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-12, 01:05 PM
Unfortunately it can't be the ranger Mrs Kapoor, because she was awesome.

Peelee
2019-12-12, 01:29 PM
It's obviously MitD, he's been in lots of pages but I don't think he's actually appeared in any.

Then it can't be him, the the character in question must appear in one.:smalltongue:

Ornithologist
2019-12-12, 01:48 PM
Unfortunately it can't be the ranger Mrs Kapoor, because she was awesome.

Just remember, The Giant said it couldn't be on more than one page in either the main story or in prequels. He classified That book as a side story, so we can count it!

Yes, I know its just a stupid justification. But its funny to me.

On an actual discussion note, I couldn't find anyone in the stories in that book that fit the criteria of only one page and memorable/powerful enough that they could help.

In total single appearances:

There's an evil banana (squished)
2 Azure City Soldiers (also, likely already allied so not likely to be a new ally) - (also likely as background characters in other parts of the story.)
A hobgoblin Chef (who's in Gobbotopia, and not likely to be an ally.)
There are the 8 merchants who Therkla did the extended fetch quest with. (Most of them are either dead/ or are already allied.)

Maybe we should just compile this from every book, and see who we have?

Peelee
2019-12-12, 01:57 PM
Just remember, The Giant said it couldn't be on more than one page in either the main story or in prequels. He classified That book as a side story, so we can count it!

Yes, I know its just a stupid justification. But its funny to me.

He actually said "exactly one," so barring any other appearances I'm unaware of, she doesn't meet the criteria that way either.:smalltongue:

Ornithologist
2019-12-12, 02:00 PM
True.

On the plus side there are 4 different merchants in Uncivil Servant that qualify. I think we can reasonably rule them out as not being helpful.

Draconi Redfir
2019-12-12, 02:26 PM
2 Azure City Soldiers (also, likely already allied so not likely to be a new ally) - (also likely as background characters in other parts of the story.)

that's it! the day will be saved by That-Guy-With-A-Halberd!

Petrocorus
2019-12-12, 02:29 PM
My favorite candidates are:
Tiamat (depending how we count her appearance). And because i believe GB and OB are half-dragon and she probably want to ally with TDO.
Shoulderpad Guy. Because i'd like the idea of seeing some other guys from the Vector Legion.

A hobgoblin Chef (who's in Gobbotopia, and not likely to be an ally.)

I wondered since i read GDGU if that hobgoblin cleric-turned-leader who appeared in only one page in the main comics was Jirix.
If it's not Jirix, and if GDGU doesn't count, that guy (who had some levels) could me a match.

the doily

Who?

The Pilgrim
2019-12-12, 02:32 PM
Now I'm thinking about Goblin Dan. Did he appear in more than one strip? I recall he had a franchise in Gobbotopia, but can't recall if he was there himself. Makes sense he would travel to Monster Hollow in search of more Hydras to supply new restaurants.

Or perhaps Shelby the Dragonslayer. Maybe he managed to get raised somehow.

Peelee
2019-12-12, 02:34 PM
Who?

The gateway to ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html)

Ornithologist
2019-12-12, 02:52 PM
Okay, book 5 single frame appearances, and I think these are all good with one two exceptions.

Ivy
Polearm customer
Julio's Dentist
Rich Burlew (His thumb anyway :smallbiggrin:)
The Dead carpet Merchant
an Albatross
the 2 thief kids
a merchant
The three prostitutes
A cartographer
The old olady in GreySky City
The Sphinx of the convenience store
Death
2 different dwarves being argued about by Hel and Thor
A hobgoblin Clown
4 adventurers
2 Aton Merchants
2 of Tarquins dinner guests
The Giant hand puppet monster (That I cannot remember the name of)
The Rend Actors
The Clotsburg Highschool band
The Sanguine Ave Muppets
Faruzi Lakshi - Miss Bloodstain 1184
Cathy the new New anchor
One of tarquins ex wives (the one who had cold feet... eh..)
Tyrinar the Bloody
The pregame singing Group
The intermission acting group
3 different sparticus's (but They are likely in multiple pages)
Thogs #1 fan
Orrin Drake Tooth
Ivy Starsong

and interesting thought experiment, The Snarl. This depends on whether you count crayon flashback depictions of it to be appearances or not (Or more accurately, whether Rich does.) While almost 100% not the answer, the story would be very interesting.

Now I'm thinking about Goblin Dan. Did he appear in more than one strip? I recall he had a franchise in Gobbotopia, but can't recall if he was there himself. Makes sense he would travel to Monster Hollow in search of more Hydras to supply new restaurants.

Goblin Dan is in Mr Scruffy's story and I think he is in DStP too.

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-12-12, 02:56 PM
The appearances thread says Elan's mother has appeared 3 or 4 times (and it's definitely more than one), and more in the bonus comics.

Too bad, I was hoping to say "Elan's mom had got it going on" here.

ThriKreenLich
2019-12-12, 04:11 PM

Although if we're going off phantasmagoria as an "appearance" he does visibly extend a body part to (it looks like) shake hands with Roy in the spiraling panel.

mjasghar
2019-12-12, 04:24 PM
Laser Snail comes back as an einhieirar

Riftwolf
2019-12-12, 05:20 PM
Anyone mentioned the Holey Brotherhood yet?

Although if we're going off phantasmagoria as an "appearance" he does visibly extend a body part to (it looks like) shake hands with Roy in the spiraling panel.

To me it looks like they're both holding tankards and clinking them together.

Fish
2019-12-12, 05:34 PM
Has the Dark One appeared? Technically, we’ve seen second-hand stories and an illusion. How many appearances is that?

Roy told a story about ogre royalty guarding the starmetal. Is that an appearance?

Sabine impersonates other shapes. Whose appearance is that, Sabine’s or the target’s?

This is impossible to answer unless we know the rules of the game.

Aeliren
2019-12-12, 05:57 PM
Anyone mentioned the Holey Brotherhood yet?

Baron Pineapple returns to aid the Order of the Stick.

Riftwolf
2019-12-12, 05:59 PM
Baron Pineapple returns to aid the Order of the Stick.

Technically, he never appeared :b
And the more I think about it, the more likely the Holey Brotherhood becomes.

monomer
2019-12-12, 06:19 PM
A bunch of the Demigods (including apparently Dvalin) have only appeared in the one-strip where they voted. Are Demigods able to play more of a direct role than full Gods?

PettyPace
2019-12-12, 07:00 PM
Has the planet that Blackwing saw in the rift appeared more than once? For sure yes, if the ocean from the desert rift is on that planet, but I can't recall another time.

ElderSage
2019-12-12, 07:51 PM
Has anyone said this one, yet?

There's lots of theories floating around about what happens to planar travelers and leftovers from other planes. We do, however, know that an ascended god can theoretically survive past their first world if they have enough stores of power between worlds. So...

These guys are using quiddity. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html)

As far as I can tell, each of them, besides soda and pizza (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1140.html), has only appeared once, in that first comic. So, it could be Milk Dud(e)s, Nachos, Popcorn, or Soy Latte. Nachos and Milk Dud(e)s are both dead, so it's probably not them. Soy Latte wasn't shown using quiddity. But...

Popcorn has only appeared once. Popcorn was also shown using yellow quiddity, the color of the Northern Pantheon, who have been playing a very critical role.

My theory? Popcorn is going to come back.

Peelee
2019-12-12, 08:03 PM
These guys are using quiddity. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0301.html)

Nah, they're using magic, or psionics, or whatever the equivalent is on their world.

"Quiddity," as Thor explained it, roughly means "essence." it is their state of being. You don't see a god without their quiddity their divine essence, surrounding them. You don't see a mortal with it. Popcorn is has a yellow dweomer (or whatever the equivalent is on their world), not quiddity, because popcorn is not a god.

.... Presumably.

ElderSage
2019-12-12, 08:12 PM
Nah, they're using magic, or psionics, or whatever the equivalent is on their world.

"Quiddity," as Thor explained it, roughly means "essence." it is their state of being. You don't see a god without their quiddity their divine essence, surrounding them. You don't see a mortal with it. Popcorn is has a yellow dweomer (or whatever the equivalent is on their world), not quiddity, because popcorn is not a god.

.... Presumably.

No, see, but Popcorn is a god. Popcorn, in the fourth panel, says, "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

Also, you may be interested to note that Popcorn, Soda, and Milk Dud(e)s each use the colors of quiddity of each of the surviving pantheons: yellow, blue, and red respectively.

Peelee
2019-12-12, 08:36 PM
No, see, but Popcorn is a god. Popcorn, in the fourth panel, says, "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"

Also, you may be interested to note that Popcorn, Soda, and Milk Dud(e)s each use the colors of quiddity of each of the surviving pantheons: yellow, blue, and red respectively.

Imean, Belkar has proclaimed himself to be a god, and yet he doesn't have a white quiddity. :smalltongue:

They use dweomers that happen to be the same colors as the Pantheon quiddities, yes. Which does not mean they have quiddities. Which, again, we would always see surrounding them at all times, since they are theoscopic particles escaping the gods event horizon or whatever.

ElderSage
2019-12-12, 09:28 PM
Imean, Belkar has proclaimed himself to be a god, and yet he doesn't have a white quiddity. :smalltongue:

They use dweomers that happen to be the same colors as the Pantheon quiddities, yes. Which does not mean they have quiddities. Which, again, we would always see surrounding them at all times, since they are theoscopic particles escaping the gods event horizon or whatever.

See, but Belkar doesn't have worshippers or anything. On the other hand, Popcorn has had a minimum of 50 years of worship (panel 3) and probably much more based on the fact that Soda looked much older when he finally hunted down Pizza.

Even wilder crack theory than Popcorn here that will almost certainly never happen: there's a lot of discussion going around about Banjo and/or Giggles becoming a fifth quiddity, but what if it's Belkar???? A common fantasy trope is that gods have to die to ascend, or that they're dead anyway. Also, I don't think deities need to breathe.

...y'know who's only appeared once? Giggles. Maybe there is something to that theory, after all...

Peelee
2019-12-12, 10:12 PM
See, but Belkar doesn't have worshippers or anything. On the other hand, Popcorn has had a minimum of 50 years of worship (panel 3) and probably much more based on the fact that Soda looked much older when he finally hunted down Pizza.

Well dang, thats a better argument than I was expecting!

Of course, if a god can be killed by a single stab from a mortals sword, though, I'd say it's not much of a god.:smallwink:

ElderSage
2019-12-12, 11:11 PM
Well dang, thats a better argument than I was expecting!

Of course, if a god can be killed by a single stab from a mortals sword, though, I'd say it's not much of a god.:smallwink:

True, very true. *laughs* (non-sarcastically, that was actually pretty funny)

I would posit, though, that Milk Dud(e)s was not a very powerful god. Yes, they had a minimum 50 years of worship at that point which was enough to make them into gods. However, even a mortal like Pizza is technically more "real" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1141.html) than Milk Dud(e)s after they had ascended to become gods. Thor even says that the gods are less "real" than mortals, just more powerful. Going off of this information, a mortal could likely have slain a young, weak god.

Later, by the time Soda tracked down Pizza, probably another solid 50 years had passed, and by the time the world was finally destroyed, Popcorn could have been around for anywhere from 100 to 2,000 years, considering that they're the originals, implying that they were around near or at the beginning of the world, and sentient movie theater snacks seems like a pretty bottom of the barrel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1140.html) idea to me. Since they're up to a few thousand years, Popcorn's had a while to accumulate power and managed to survive through to the new world. Also, the idea of popcorn seems like it's still around because Thor expected Minrah and Durkon to know what he was talking about when he said "sentient movie theater snacks".

So Popcorn could be around as a Northern deity.

(I'm still thinking about this Giggles thing, though... Giggles has only appeared once... Giggles could be a fifth quiddity color... or maybe even purple as a "monster" god...)

skim172
2019-12-13, 12:06 AM
True, very true. *laughs* (non-sarcastically, that was actually pretty funny)

I would posit, though, that Milk Dud(e)s was not a very powerful god. Yes, they had a minimum 50 years of worship at that point which was enough to make them into gods. However, even a mortal like Pizza is technically more "real" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1141.html) than Milk Dud(e)s after they had ascended to become gods. Thor even says that the gods are less "real" than mortals, just more powerful. Going off of this information, a mortal could likely have slain a young, weak god.

Later, by the time Soda tracked down Pizza, probably another solid 50 years had passed, and by the time the world was finally destroyed, Popcorn could have been around for anywhere from 100 to 2,000 years, considering that they're the originals, implying that they were around near or at the beginning of the world, and sentient movie theater snacks seems like a pretty bottom of the barrel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1140.html) idea to me. Since they're up to a few thousand years, Popcorn's had a while to accumulate power and managed to survive through to the new world. Also, the idea of popcorn seems like it's still around because Thor expected Minrah and Durkon to know what he was talking about when he said "sentient movie theater snacks".

So Popcorn could be around as a Northern deity.

(I'm still thinking about this Giggles thing, though... Giggles has only appeared once... Giggles could be a fifth quiddity color... or maybe even purple as a "monster" god...)

Milk Dud(e)s was by far the weakest - having only been created in 1928 (https://www.hersheys.com/en_us/our-brands/milk-duds.html). Not even a hundred years of worship. No wonder he (she? it? they?) was so easily slain. Pizza was by far the strongest of the New Refreshments, as the archetypal pizza margherita dates to at least the 19th century.

Soda was marginally more powerful, however, as infusing water with carbon dioxide was first discovered in 1767. And armed with a Pizza Cutter (which itself dates back to 1892, when it was mainly used for cutting wallpaper), vengeance was truly his (its?).

Otherwise, the New Gods were weak-ass punks. Nachos were first invented in 1943 and less said about Soy Latte, the better.

But Popcorn.... Popcorn is a different story altogether. It has been eaten for far, far longer than we know - far longer than written history. The oldest evidence of popcorn dates back to 6,700 years ago (https://www.history.com/news/popcorn-was-popular-in-ancient-peru-discovery-suggests)

Popcorn is the Elder God. And the gods quake at the mere mention of his (its? their?) name. They merely hope and pray that he sleeps on...

Peelee
2019-12-13, 12:24 AM
Milk Dud(e)s was by far the weakest - having only been created in 1928 (https://www.hersheys.com/en_us/our-brands/milk-duds.html). Not even a hundred years of worship. No wonder he (she? it? they?) was so easily slain. Pizza was by far the strongest of the New Refreshments, as the archetypal pizza margherita dates to at least the 19th century.

Soda was marginally more powerful, however, as infusing water with carbon dioxide was first discovered in 1767. And armed with a Pizza Cutter (which itself dates back to 1892, when it was mainly used for cutting wallpaper), vengeance was truly his (its?).

Otherwise, the New Gods were weak-ass punks. Nachos were first invented in 1943 and less said about Soy Latte, the better.

But Popcorn.... Popcorn is a different story altogether. It has been eaten for far, far longer than we know - far longer than written history. The oldest evidence of popcorn dates back to 6,700 years ago (https://www.history.com/news/popcorn-was-popular-in-ancient-peru-discovery-suggests)

Popcorn is the Elder God. And the gods quake at the mere mention of his (its? their?) name. They merely hope and pray that he sleeps on...

Psh. None of their worlds have lasted 6000 years. I'd say we were looking at the year 50, or close to it, by Popcorn's reckoning.

Also, what's a New York?

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-12-13, 01:08 AM
It could be the muskrat with the drumkit on its back.

Ruck
2019-12-13, 02:04 AM
Has the Dark One appeared? Technically, we’ve seen second-hand stories and an illusion. How many appearances is that?

Roy told a story about ogre royalty guarding the starmetal. Is that an appearance?

Sabine impersonates other shapes. Whose appearance is that, Sabine’s or the target’s?

This is impossible to answer unless we know the rules of the game.

I think it's pretty straightforward; an appearance on panel counts as an appearance. I'm assuming the answer won't be a nonexistent character like the ogre kings. I can only remember Sabine impersonating one actually existing character as opposed to just going in disguise.

Really, it's impossible because we have so little to go on, but I also think that's why the question is relatively straightforward; it won't be something like "technically that character appeared in flashback / in a story someone else was telling, so it wasn't really an 'appearance'."

factotum
2019-12-13, 02:44 AM
I think it's pretty straightforward; an appearance on panel counts as an appearance.

Yeah, I would agree. Trying to say that a particular appearance "doesn't count" is starting to go over the edge into sophistry and makes it harder to figure out who the Giant could be talking about.

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 06:36 AM
Yeah, I would agree. Trying to say that a particular appearance "doesn't count" is starting to go over the edge into sophistry and makes it harder to figure out who the Giant could be talking about.

Is it safe to presume that when he said 'including all the prequel books' in brackets that he meant the appearance has been in the main comic and not just in a prequel? In which case, Holey Brotherhood is sounding better and better!

jwhouk
2019-12-13, 08:05 AM

Actually, it doesn't... it means that with TDO's assistance, they can not only bind the Snarl, they could defeat it (five colors > four colors of the Snarl).

EDIT: Ninja'ed about two pages ago... dangit.

Quebbster
2019-12-13, 08:25 AM
Is it safe to presume that when he said 'including all the prequel books' in brackets that he meant the appearance has been in the main comic and not just in a prequel? In which case, Holey Brotherhood is sounding better and better!

I don't Think that's safe to presume, no. It seems likely the one page is in the main comic (volume alone means the main comics have the odds in its favor), but it could just as easily be in some of the extra materials. Wouldn't be the first time a character from the prequels was introduced in the main comic after all.

hroþila
2019-12-13, 08:39 AM
Gosh, I hope it's Psteve.

Peelee
2019-12-13, 08:51 AM

Given that it can only have one appearance, I'd say "not just" is an odd way to put it.

Anyway, that statement reads to me as "innearly a the material I've put out". It widened the search area, is all.

ElderSage
2019-12-13, 09:18 AM
Psh. None of their worlds have lasted 6000 years. I'd say we were looking at the year 50, or close to it, by Popcorn's reckoning.

Also, what's a New York?

But, by my reckoning, as explained earlier, Popcorn has probably been around for 2000 years in their own world and may have survived into the next. My theory still stands.

(Also, I am still here, riding my Giggles theory. It could happen.)

Peelee
2019-12-13, 10:02 AM
But, by my reckoning, as explained earlier, Popcorn has probably been around for 2000 years in their own world and may have survived into the next. My theory still stands.

Your theory includes the proposition that Thor expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about vis-a-vis sentient movie theater snacks, but Thor also expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about re the theoscopic particles, and even the dumbed down version of quiddity. Which shows that has no bearing on popcorn being a god.

Also, we did not see Popcorn represented in the Godsmoot, so that's a knock against him. And, further, gods are prohibited from direct intervention on the material world.

Popcorn will be a god over my cold, dead body, I tells ya!

factotum
2019-12-13, 10:02 AM
(Also, I am still here, riding my Giggles theory. It could happen.)

Hasn't Giggles appeared twice? In his first appearance in the early strips, and again on Orc Island? Or am I misremembering?

Quebbster
2019-12-13, 10:10 AM
Hasn't Giggles appeared twice? In his first appearance in the early strips, and again on Orc Island? Or am I misremembering?

I Think you are thinking of Banjhulhu. Which is of course also a valid candidate.

redemedic
2019-12-13, 10:49 AM
Let us go back to the early characters. My bet is on Fruit PieTM Sorcerer.

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 11:17 AM
Is six weeks too short a time to run an official Guessing thread, with pros and cons of each candidate?
Going by previous forum interactions, I'll guess 'no'

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-13, 11:21 AM
You assume the character will be revealed in six weeks. It could be several months.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-12-13, 11:29 AM
You assume the character will be revealed in six weeks. It could be several months.

Or, heck, several years, depending on where in the story this ally comes into the picture. Someone should definitely slap up a pros and cons thread with all the different possibilities on there from the character appearances thread.

factotum
2019-12-13, 11:45 AM
Or, heck, several years, depending on where in the story this ally comes into the picture.

The Giant explicitly said this person would be an ally in the "first half of the next book". I'd normally think that would mean they'd show up quite early on.

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 12:13 PM
The Giant explicitly said this person would be an ally in the "first half of the next book". I'd normally think that would mean they'd show up quite early on.

It's doubtful to be strip 1 panel 1 of the next update though. Depending on the book length, the first half of the book might constitute the next year in updates.
Let me think of pros/cons for Holey Brotherhood. I'm not the one to curate the thread as I'm on a mobile and hate Banjo (and by extension, Giggles) and my last meaningful contribution to the forum was Phyrnglsnyx.

CJG
2019-12-13, 01:14 PM
How about that group o adventures trying to defeat Tarquins group in a flashback? They were trying to get to a treasure before Tarquin did but failed.

Grey Watcher
2019-12-13, 01:31 PM
The Giant hand puppet monster (That I cannot remember the name of)

Assuming you're referring to this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0746.html), that'd be Ollie of Kukla, Fran and Ollie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukla,_Fran_and_Ollie). And, contrary to the strip title, I only had to ask my mother, not my grandparents.

I would further like to remind you of this candidate.

I nominate the gnome news fox (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html).

Crusher
2019-12-13, 01:38 PM
Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Gift Jeraff - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice or Shoulderpad Guy
Lady Eowyn - 12/11/19 - Orange Voice
Ornithologist - 12/11/19 - Serini
Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential, 12/13/19 - Xyklon = Soon's Wife
Toad - 12/11/19 - an Eastern God
Grey Watcher - 12/11/19 - gnome news fox
Riftwolf - 12/11/19 - Amir, 12/14/19 - Holey Brotherhood
knag - 12/11/19 - Mr Belvedere
Savil - 12/12/19 - Ghost Flumph
The Pilgrim - 12/12/19 - Green Voice
Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy = Tiamat, 12/13/19 - Shoulderpad Guy
ElderSage - 12/13/19 - Popcorn, 12/14/19 - Popcorn > Giggles
redemedic - 12/13/19 - Fruit Pie the Sorcerer
Schoeswald - 12/13/19 - Aunt Ivy
Ron Miel - 12/14/19 - Suzy Finklestein > King of Nowhere, 12/14/19 - Suzy Finkleystein > Aunt Ivy > King of Nowhere
halfeye - 12/14/19 - MitD
Sermil - 12/14/19 - Roy's Understudy
Aelieren - 12/14/19 - Tony the Celestial = Shoulderpads Guy
Joerg - 12/14/19 - One of the Northern Gods (Fenrir?)
Malfarian - 12/15/19 - Durkon's Dad
2.5 cats - 12/15/19 - A Tinkertown Gnome merchant
Dausuul - 12/17/19 - Mia Starshine
littebum2002 - 12/17/19 - that guy with a halberd
b_jonas - 12/20/19 - Someone from the Mechane's crew > Haley's personality with green hair/dress from #381
Personification - 12/24/19 - one of the Tinkertown gnomes/Firmament dwarves
Starla - 12/24/19 - King of Somewhere > Bottlecap guy
Lord Raziere - 12/25/19 - Kayannara
Mike Havran - 12/26/19 - pair of adventures from #639 (grey warrior/green caster) > a bugbear from #1036
Dire_Flumph - 12/27/19 - cleric of the Dark One who fell into the rift
brian 333 - 12/27/19 - CPPD sketch artist
Coventry - 12/28/19 - phone-answering infernal from #667 > red-robed older emissary from a southern country from Daigo and Kazumi's wedding
Precure - 1/4/20 - Larry Gardener > Priest of Adad > Olivia Benson

Windscion
2019-12-13, 03:00 PM
Idea: In 999, we see the high priests of the other pantheons voting. I doubt any of those priests appeared elsewhere, and they are presumably high enough level to be important allies if they so choose.
Too bad it's impossible, since the Godsmoot is still in session, and likely to remain for a while as the dwarves delay resuming their council.

Also: The two guys Durkon recruited (who have been suggested) were in Origin of the PCs, not the early strips. And they seemed too jokey for the job.

Addendum: And while he only appears once, Steve Rogers is trademarked and therefore highly unlikely.

PPS: Also, in #149, the previous supreme leader (not the one in GDGU: that one was a green goblin, this one an orange hobgoblin) appears and wisely pretends to not be the supreme leader. He might have useful information, but now that RC has Gobbotopia, I doubt he has any sway with the goblinoids.

Schroeswald
2019-12-13, 03:04 PM
You know what, fresh off of my two correct predictions (and that in a different media thing I, on my own, case up with a theory that turned out to already be a popular one), I’ll actually give a definitive guess, Aunt Ivy.

EDIT: Also Serini, Green Voice, Popcorn, Fruit Pie, Shoulderpad Guy (unless if you’re really committed and want to ignore H&J) and Tiamat all have more than one page, Serini and Tiamat even have more than one normal online comic appearance, so I feel like those guesses (except maybe Shoulderpad Guy) shouldn’t stay in the counting post.

EDIT 2: Oh and for everyone guessing Giggles, he has 3 pages (the other two aren’t online I guess).

The Pilgrim
2019-12-13, 03:15 PM
The Giant being The Giant, he isn't the type to pull plot points out of his arse. DCF ended with Shojo and Miko shown. NCftPB ended showing Xykon's Army advancing to Azure City and the Linear Guild working on their plot. Kubota was shown in the ending of War and XP. While Tarquin was not shown at the end of DStP, the fact that Elan's and Haley's fathers were on the Western Continent was known. Hel was shown at the end of BRitF.

So whoever this mysterious new ally who has only been shown in one page is, it's logical and guessable.

Peelee
2019-12-13, 03:32 PM
The Giant being The Giant, he isn't the type to pull plot points out of his arse. DCF ended with Shojo and Miko shown. NCftPB ended showing Xykon's Army advancing to Azure City and the Linear Guild working on their plot. Kubota was shown in the ending of War and XP. While Tarquin was not shown at the end of DStP, the fact that Elan's and Haley's fathers were on the Western Continent was known. Hel was shown at the end of BRitF.

So whoever this mysterious new ally who has only been shown in one page is, it's logical and guessable.

All of which lead to the obvious conclusion that the ally will be Soon's wife, thus leading us to doubt what we have been told about the Snarl.:smalltongue:

Petrocorus
2019-12-13, 03:49 PM
How about that group o adventures trying to defeat Tarquins group in a flashback? They were trying to get to a treasure before Tarquin did but failed.
I don't see this, but i would like this.

Pelee - 12/11/19 - Xyklon the Consequential

Who's that guy?

Petrocorus - 12/12/19 - Shoulderpad Guy or Tiamat

Apparently, Tiamat has appeared several times in the comics.
One time in crayons (273, Shojo's narration) and one time in Thor's narration (1143). Never herself, but image of her.
She apparently appeared in 2 bonus comics in the books, but i don't know if this counts.
I still think she's a possibility though.

I stand by Shoulderpad Guy.

For the record, my money is also on OB and GB being draconic creatures of some sort.

.. thus leading us to doubt what we have been told about the Snarl.:smalltongue:
IMHO, the existence of a world inside the rift already put some doubts on what we know about him.

Schroeswald
2019-12-13, 03:58 PM
Apparently, Tiamat has appeared several times in the comics.
One time in crayons (273, Shojo's narration) and one time in Thor's narration (1143). Never herself, but image of her.
She apparently appeared in 2 bonus comics in the books, but i don't know if this counts.
I still think she's a possibility though.
What? How is 5 different appearances and two bonus comics apply to the qualification of 1 page, in all of OOTS? Maybe you could ignore two of her appearances (telephone and Godsmoot), but she still has 5 pages (oh, and at least one of them was in SoD, which I see no excuse for not counting), and I can’t think of any way to write them off and still leave one page.

Ron Miel
2019-12-13, 04:01 PM
Serious guess: Suzy Finklestein. Shown in a flashback as Eugene's rival at school, and mentioned (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0669.html)at least once as his adult rival at the Wizzy awards. Only appeared in one single panel in SoD. She'd be a powerful archmage now. About the same age as Eugene, she could still be alive. And she has a connection to Roy through her daughter.

Petrocorus
2019-12-13, 04:10 PM
What? How is 5 different appearances and two bonus comics apply to the qualification of 1 page, in all of OOTS? Maybe you could ignore two of her appearances (telephone and Godsmoot), but she still has 5 pages (oh, and at least one of them was in SoD, which I see no excuse for not counting), and I can’t think of any way to write them off and still leave one page.

I may have miscounted this. I didn't see 5 appearances. I need to check this.
I was discounting the appearance in 1143 because it's actually an hologram of her, not her. And i'm not sure to count the one when the Oracle makes his ritual. So for me there was only 273.
I just don't know for the other ones, i'll look into it.

I believe only a statue of her appear in the Godsmoot.

Peelee
2019-12-13, 04:18 PM
Who's that guy?

Oh, you should really read Start of Darkness. It's fantastic.

Also, I'm going to start calling Crusher Cusher.
ETA:
Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Hooray, I'm the floor!

Mike Havran
2019-12-13, 04:23 PM
As much as I would like to see Vector Legion back on stage, I doubt SPG would be willing to become an ally; it has been stated VL are all quite Evil, and I doubt Giand would like to pull ''VL are offering aid'' thing again.

My immediate idea, and I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned them, is the pair of adventurers who battled a black dragon during familicide event (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html). They do seem quiet powerful and will certainly try to determine what the hell happened. The only mitigating factor is that Giant's phrasing implies there is only one such ally, and they are two of them.

In case GDGU does not count as a prequel, former Supreme Leader (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0149.html) is a good bet.

ElderSage
2019-12-13, 04:30 PM
Your theory includes the proposition that Thor expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about vis-a-vis sentient movie theater snacks, but Thor also expected Durkon and Minrah to know what he was talking about re the theoscopic particles, and even the dumbed down version of quiddity. Which shows that has no bearing on popcorn being a god.

Also, we did not see Popcorn represented in the Godsmoot, so that's a knock against him. And, further, gods are prohibited from direct intervention on the material world.

Popcorn will be a god over my cold, dead body, I tells ya!

True, I acknowledge that the first bit about Thor may not be true. However, not every single one of the Northern Pantheon was represented at the Godsmoot, because as we saw with Hel, there has to be a high enough level cleric. Popcorn didn't have one.

...So, how close are you to dying of natural causes? Do I need to speed it up?
(it's a joke. just figured I'd mention that because people get tetchy sometimes)

Edit: And Giggles is still a possible option!

Quartz
2019-12-13, 04:35 PM
My immediate idea, and I'm quite surprised nobody has mentioned them, is the pair of adventurers who battled a black dragon during familicide event (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0639.html). They do seem quiet powerful and will certainly try to determine what the hell happened. The only mitigating factor is that Giant's phrasing implies there is only one such ally, and they are two of them.

What about one of the high school buddies in that last panel of the very next page?

Peelee
2019-12-13, 04:36 PM
True, I acknowledge that the first bit about Thor may not be true. However, not every single one of the Northern Pantheon was represented at the Godsmoot, because as we saw with Hel, there has to be a high enough level cleric. Popcorn didn't have one.

No existation without representation!:smalltongue:

Schroeswald
2019-12-13, 04:38 PM

...So, how close are you to dying of natural causes? Do I need to speed it up?
(it's a joke. just figured I'd mention that because people get tetchy sometimes)

Edit: And Giggles is still a possible option!

Can I once again point out that both Popcorn and Giggles have more than 1 page due to bonus content? Cause I'm doing that again.

Ron Miel
2019-12-13, 04:58 PM
What about one of the high school buddies in that last panel of the very next page?

Unlikely, they are copyrighted or trademarked characters, actual mascots of sports teams. (Or so I understand. I don't follow sports.) I doubt the Giant will try to use someone else's intellectual property, single panel jokes excepted.

Doug Lampert
2019-12-13, 05:17 PM
Unlikely, they are copyrighted or trademarked characters, actual mascots of sports teams. (Or so I understand. I don't follow sports.) I doubt the Giant will try to use someone else's intellectual property, single panel jokes excepted.

The teams in question are the Duke Blue Devils and the Arizona Sun Devils. The appearance isn't identical, but it's close, the characters are recognizable, and both are trademarks (not copyrights).

I am not an Intellectual property lawyer, but fair use does not apply to trademarks, so in theory parody and humor are not protected, however, trademarks aren't necessarily protected if there is no chance of product identity confusion, which there would not be for any reasonable use by Rich as long as he doesn't use the characters in publicity or on the cover.

That said, I would not risk using a trademarked character as a major character in a work, that really is just asking to get sued.

ElderSage
2019-12-13, 06:57 PM
No existation without representation!:smalltongue:

Hel didn't have a representative for a really long time. She still existed, though.

Can I once again point out that both Popcorn and Giggles have more than 1 page due to bonus content? Cause I'm doing that again.

Wait, really? Okay. Which books?

Schroeswald
2019-12-13, 07:03 PM
Wait, really? Okay. Which books?

I don't actually own them, I'm just trusting the character appearances count thread, which doesn't actually say where they're from (but for Giggles I'd guess its W&XPs bonus content).

Peelee
2019-12-13, 07:11 PM
Hel didn't have a representative for a really long time. She still existed, though.

Well obviously that particular rule only applied to that specific Godsmoot.

DapperWarlock
2019-12-13, 07:19 PM
I'm liking the idea of Fruit Pie being the one--Haleo and Julelan being removed from the actual story, his cameo there probably doesn't count as an appearance in this story. Plus it'd be really really funny.

But here's someone I don't think anyone else has considered...

... what about that Monk from On the Origin of PCs? The one Belkar swooped in and verbally humiliated, taking the last spot in the Order from him?

A little flimsy, I know. He didn't seem to have a whole lot of personality, and he wasn't even given a name. But that also makes him a bit unique, in that, as a no-name character whose only appearance is in bonus content, he actually has not been cataloged in the Number of Character Appearances thread. So here's where--and I admit, this is assuming he scoured the Character Appearances thread and actually 1) remembered that monk at all, 2) noticed he wasn't on the list, and 3) had an idea of how to use this random character (from a book that he isn't really especially proud of compared to the other prequels) that he thought would be really cool--Rich may have had the chance to hint at his appearance while cleverly hiding the answer from anyone expecting to just look at the Appearances thread and find them that way, instead rewarding readers who actually went through and looked.

Again, I know it's flimsy, BUT...

I could kind of see him encountering the Order after all this time, and Belkar in particular, and I find the thought that maybe his life just spiraled in some insane other direction after Belkar harangued him and broke his faith in his chosen life path... actually kind of a fascinating idea. And maybe Rich thought that as well.

Or maybe even the opposite happened! Maybe his brief doubt in his abilities as a monk bounced back, and his resolve was strengthened, and after training and gaining levels now he's tracked down the Order to PROVE that he was worthy of being among their ranks because it turns out he's kind of an obsessive weirdo.

Anyway. Half of that was just the weird direction my brain takes ideas like this, but something about this one just really got me thinking. And I felt the need to retroactively justify all the checking and double-checking I did to make sure that yes, this man has been entirely overlooked by the Character Appearances counter.

Of course, there's always the remote possibility he's appeared in another place where he was actually given a name and that's why I couldn't find him.

Also, the two voices from the end of #1189 are totally the two outsiders Durkon almost-recruited while Roy was gathering the others CHANGE MY MIND*

*You don't have to I know this is even more flimsy

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 07:49 PM
Holey Brotherhood
Pros:
Know about the rifts
Have some investment in them
Only appear in one panel
Wouldn't be the first time a throw away gag morphed into something more meaningful

Cons:
Appear to be nearer Dorukans Gate than North Pole by the background
It's implied the Scribblers killed them all
Girard said they were the dumbest villains he'd encountered

Fyraltari
2019-12-13, 07:51 PM
Considering Girard's opinion of Soon, I'm not sure I trust his assessment of people that much.

ElderSage
2019-12-13, 08:02 PM
I don't actually own them, I'm just trusting the character appearances count thread, which doesn't actually say where they're from (but for Giggles I'd guess its W&XPs bonus content).

Oh, okay. Link?

Well obviously that particular rule only applied to that specific Godsmoot.

But Popcorn needed a high-level cleric whether or not it was a rule just to give the vote, so it would have applied to every Godsmoot.

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 08:06 PM
Considering Girard's opinion of Soon, I'm not sure I trust his assessment of people that much.
We will probably find out whether his assessment of the Paladin in question was correct or not... Soon.

Schroeswald
2019-12-13, 08:08 PM
Oh, okay. Link?

This is the character appearance thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?530588-Number-of-Character-Appearances-VI-Wrecan-quot-I-like-counting-things-quot), to find the characters you’ll have to go through it the old fashioned way, looking through the list in the first 5-ish posts until you find the person you’re looking for (I think the people I was reminding everyone about are under the cameos section).

137beth
2019-12-13, 08:42 PM
The wording on the Giant's statement is interesting. It could mean this character's never appeared in any of the prequel stories. It could also mean that they've exclusively appeared in one of the prequel stories. Probably the former, since Start of Darkness and the like aren't intended to be mandatory reading to follow the plot of the comic, but still, interesting.

They could still be someone from the prequel. If a character who has only appeared in one page in a prequel shows up in the main comic, it wouldn't take much explaining for people who haven't read the prequel. Firuk was only in two pages in OtOOtPCs, but strip 1096 explains everything you need to know about him to people who haven't read it.

halfeye
2019-12-13, 08:55 PM
Prediction time.

In my experience, in situations like this, after the reveal happens some annoying jerkwad inevitably pops up to say "Well, its OBVIOUS it was going to be the angel roach. I knew it the whole time." The best way to combat this is to actually keep track of who guessed what. So, when that person shows up, everyone can then point to them guessing RC's Niece, which was not only not the angel roach but also a guess since she had way more than one appearance. Pursuing that goal, I'm going to track everyone's predicts.

Lets keep it consistent with the MitD predictions. Obviously, having a single guess is best for bragging rights, but if you really want you can have up to 3 guesses. They can be rank ordered (1st choice X, 2nd choice Y, 3rd choice Z) or equal-weight ("its one of these 3"). If enough people guess, I'll keep a league-table of the most popular guesses.

I'll track them here unless we start a new thread. I've gone through the thread and added anyone who said anything like "I think its X" or "I'm guessing that its X", or joked that it might be a particular candidate and then ran with the joke instead of letting it die. Pelee probably doesn't *really* think its Xyklon the Consequential, but I had to draw the line somewhere.

Riftwolf - 12/11/19 - Amir
ElderSage - 12/13/19 - Popcorn

I want to be on the list with MitD please.

I know of no actual appearance (where we actually see what he looks like), but there is the SoD shot of his cell where the floorboards show through him, and as someone said the delusion scene where it all appeared to be over, but wasn't, I'd kind of count the delusion bit as another non-appearance myself because it was a halucination/mirage, but that's because of the one in SoD, otherwise it might do. I'm not saying it's a great choice, but the described role fits all that we already expect the MitD's plot arc to become, and I don't have any other guesses I want to make.

Riftwolf
2019-12-13, 09:01 PM
Prediction time.

Switch mine to Holey Brotherhood.

Ron Miel
2019-12-13, 09:29 PM
Mine are:

1) Suzy Finklestein
2) King of Nowhere.

ElderSage
2019-12-14, 12:06 AM
Prediction time.

I'd like to add Giggles into my guess, please. In order of what I think is the most likely: 1) Popcorn. 2) Giggles.

lio45
2019-12-14, 12:17 AM
Imean, the only reason to mention that is to give a guessing game, and immediately undercutting that game seems pretty cheap to me. It'd be like me saying, "pick a number between 1 and 10, if you guess it correct you win a prize!" and that number being e.That (irrational) number is indeed between 1 and 10, and you never said the number had to be an integer, so it's perfectly fair. (My first guess might have been Pi, though.)

Sermil
2019-12-14, 02:19 AM
My vote is for Roy's understudy, who appears only in #613, since Roy was sick that day.

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-12-14, 02:49 AM
It would be kind of awesome if it was an Eastern God (super duper unlikely if you ask me) and they could forge a five color sword of order that could slay the Snarl for good.

Although at that point if I was a god I'd end the world anyway somewhere in the next 1000 or so years because imagine how cool a five color world would be!

Ruck
2019-12-14, 03:18 AM
PPS: Also, in #149, the previous supreme leader (not the one in GDGU: that one was a green goblin, this one an orange hobgoblin) appears and wisely pretends to not be the supreme leader. He might have useful information, but now that RC has Gobbotopia, I doubt he has any sway with the goblinoids.

GDGU is in grayscale, so I don't know how you can confidently say that, but more directly, the tribe is explicitly and repeatedly referred to as hobgoblins in GDGU.

Also, there isn't much reason to highlight all the Supreme Accessories of Leadership in GDGU if not to connect the Supreme Leader who ascends at the end of GDGU to the one in #149.

Aeliren
2019-12-14, 03:35 AM
Prediction time.

Put me down for Tony the Celestial or Shoulderpads Guy.

hroþila
2019-12-14, 05:31 AM
GDGU is in grayscale, so I don't know how you can confidently say that, but more directly, the tribe is explicitly and repeatedly referred to as hobgoblins in GDGU.

Also, there isn't much reason to highlight all the Supreme Accessories of Leadership in GDGU if not to connect the Supreme Leader who ascends at the end of GDGU to the one in #149.
Redcloak and another goblin are also on GDGU, on page #115, and even in grayscale their skin tone is noticeably different from the former Supreme Leader's (and the other hobgoblins').

Benoojian
2019-12-14, 07:57 AM
Technically the Snarl has only appeared in person once, when it attacked Laurin and her team. Every other appearance was in Elan crayon drawings.

Joerg
2019-12-14, 07:59 AM
My guess is one of the northern gods. An interesting case may be Fenrir: he seems very aggressive and chaotic and voted for destroying the world, but he can't be happy about what Xykon is doing at Kraagor's tomb, either.

Peelee
2019-12-14, 08:16 AM
That (irrational) number is indeed between 1 and 10, and you never said the number had to be an integer, so it's perfectly fair. (My first guess might have been Pi, though.)
Didn't say it wasn't between 1 and 10. I said it was cheap (and I picked it because I knew most people thinking of a trick would go for pi first. I also considered tau). See the other post I made with the very rational and incredibly unguessable number for a better example of why it's so cheap.

It does directly show that this is the exact hobbo group that takes down Azure City later, which does have thematic elements even if you assume the Supreme Leader is different. But it makes more sense for him to be the same, yes.

Benoojian
2019-12-14, 08:26 AM
and interesting thought experiment, The Snarl. This depends on whether you count crayon flashback depictions of it to be appearances or not (Or more accurately, whether Rich does.) While almost 100% not the answer, the story would be very interesting.

Should have read more carefully, thought I was the first to suggest this. But the World within the Snarl makes this a decent possibility. The Snarl cannot stop itself from striking out, but if the world is destroyed, its pet world will be destroyed as well. A creature born of hate and destruction trying to create something good.

Kraagor, who was still alive when he was sealed inside the gate as the Snarl's emissary.

Ron Miel
2019-12-14, 08:39 AM
Mine are:

1) Suzy Finklestein
2) King of Nowhere.

Adding to this, another candidate, Aunt Ivy.

Way back in 2011 the Giant said:

(And yes, I didn't answer the Ivy question intentionally. The story isn't over yet.)

This implies to me that Ivy has a significant role in the story. But so far we've only seen her in one page. I think her major role is still to come.

My list is now:

1) Suzy Finklestein
2) Ivy
3) King of Nowhere.

lio45
2019-12-14, 11:06 AM
1) Suzy Finklestein
2) IvyThe only two good guesses so far IMO!

BTW, on what comic page was Aunt Ivy? I don't recall it.

Schroeswald
2019-12-14, 11:11 AM
The only two good guesses so far IMO!

BTW, on what comic page was Aunt Ivy? I don't recall it.

Comic 942 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0942.html).

And yeah, I pretty much agree that these are the most likely options, though I’d like them swapped around in my rankings.

Yendor
2019-12-14, 02:13 PM
Comic 942 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0942.html).

Except that one appearance already explained Ivy's role in the story. I can't see there being more to it than that.

I'd like to suggest the Big Game Hunters from SoD. They'd be getting on in years, but a big dungeon full of exotic monsters would be worth checking out. They may well have useful knowledge about the creatures encountered therein. (It would also fit into my theory about what happened to Redcloak's niece.)

137beth
2019-12-14, 02:39 PM
Well, since people keep mentioning Giggles, what about Eliza from strip 960a?

jwhouk
2019-12-14, 05:05 PM
Shoulderpads Guy is sounding intriguing enough at this point... if it can be confirmed he never appeared anywhere else in canon.

Riftwolf
2019-12-14, 06:47 PM
Adding to this, another candidate, Aunt Ivy.

Way back in 2011 the Giant said:

This implies to me that Ivy has a significant role in the story. But so far we've only seen her in one page. I think her major role is still to come.

My list is now:

1) Suzy Finklestein
2) Ivy
3) King of Nowhere.

That comment was made before Geoffs involvement with Ians capture was known, and learning too much about Ivy might have given the game away. Now she's appeared and wasn't apparently capable of fighting Bozzok (who is kind of like an evil rubbish Worf), I'm not really seeing how her allegiance will be especially useful at this point.

Edit: double checked timings. That comment was made in 2011... Ivy, and Geoffs involvement in Ians capture, weren't revealed till 2014.

Malfarian
2019-12-14, 06:58 PM
Durkon’s dad?

Riftwolf
2019-12-14, 07:30 PM
Durkon’s dad?

You haven't had enough of Durkon's family recently? Hasn't the last book left you... Utterly Dwarfed out now?

Gift Jeraff
2019-12-14, 11:37 PM
Other ideas occurred to me: Randy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html), Jeff (Sabine's ex from bonus strip #252a), and Therkla's parents (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html).

Jay R
2019-12-15, 01:15 PM
There are demigods in the Northern pantheon, which nobody thinks of most of the time. This led me to a new idea.

We are introduced to the Eastern Gods in strip 273, showing Zeus, Ares, and Pan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html). In strip #274, we are told that the Snarl "systematically executed the remainder of the Eastern gods. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html)" He started with Ares and Apollo, the Hades, Poseidon, even gentle Demeter and fair Aphrodite, and finally Zeus. But Pan is neither mentioned nor shown.

All of the ones listed, and shown to die, are major gods in the Greek Pantheon.

But Pan never was. Is he a demi-god who's been hiding ever since the major Eastern gods were slain? He's appeared only once, in #273.

And, of course, he would have a green speech balloon.

Riftwolf
2019-12-15, 01:35 PM
There are demigods in the Northern pantheon, which nobody thinks of most of the time. This led me to a new idea.

We are introduced to the Eastern Gods in strip 273, showing Zeus, Ares, and Pan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0273.html). In strip #274, we are told that the Snarl "systematically executed the remainder of the Eastern gods. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0274.html)" He started with Ares and Apollo, the Hades, Poseidon, even gentle Demeter and fair Aphrodite, and finally Zeus. But Pan is neither mentioned nor shown.

All of the ones listed, and shown to die, are major gods in the Greek Pantheon.

But Pan never was. Is he a demi-god who's been hiding ever since the major Eastern gods were slain? He's appeared only once, in #273.

And, of course, he would have a green speech balloon.

If this was world 2, maybe an Eastern God would make sense. But after millions of planet lifespans? Why would he reappear *now*?

2.5 cats
2019-12-15, 03:26 PM
OK time to place my 2 cents.

The Giant said the person would be an important ally "in the first half of the book."

Strip #1183 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1183.html) has the three fiends in that pact (the name slips my mind) talking about "the artifact being ready" as well as Sabine.

My guess is that the ally will be someone to help them deal with this. And to go out on a limb, that sounds like a job for a gnome from Tinkertown. Maybe one of the merchants?

Quartz
2019-12-15, 03:51 PM
Strip #1183 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1189.html) has the three fiends in that pact (the name slips my mind) talking about "the artifact being ready" as well as Sabine.

Do we have a list of people that Sabine has met?

Riftwolf
2019-12-15, 04:06 PM
Do we have a list of people that Sabine has met?

A thought occurs: was Sabine shown killing anyone in Cliffport?

Bilbo Baggins
2019-12-15, 04:24 PM
OK time to place my 2 cents.

The Giant said the person would be an important ally "in the first half of the book."

Strip #1183 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1189.html) has the three fiends in that pact (the name slips my mind) talking about "the artifact being ready" as well as Sabine.

My guess is that the ally will be someone to help them deal with this. And to go out on a limb, that sounds like a job for a gnome from Tinkertown. Maybe one of the merchants?

I really like the idea of it being this artificer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0967.html) that V met in Tinkertown.

The Pilgrim
2019-12-15, 05:22 PM
I really like the idea of it being this artificer (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0967.html) that V met in Tinkertown.

Two (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1015.html) apparitions.

Riftwolf
2019-12-15, 05:53 PM
Maybe the gnome who asked Belkar out?
If Rich suddenly becomes a callous and raisin-hearted monster for some reason?

Ornithologist
2019-12-15, 09:46 PM
Okay, bear with me, because I know its wrong... but I chortled. Literally chortled, when I thought of it.

Wisdom buffed Belkar.

Okay, I'll see myself out.

Riftwolf
2019-12-16, 04:39 AM
Okay, bear with me, because I know its wrong... but I chortled. Literally chortled, when I thought of it.

Wisdom buffed Belkar.

Okay, I'll see myself out.

I stared at this for a while trying to work out if it was an 'In Soviet Russia' joke...

Lvl 2 Expert
2019-12-16, 09:26 AM
Maybe the gnome who asked Belkar out?
If Rich suddenly becomes a callous and raisin-hearted monster for some reason?

Now that you mention it, she did have a pretty cool character design, almost standing out a bit from the rest of the crowd. (Let's keep the paranoia going!)

Ornithologist
2019-12-16, 10:02 AM
I stared at this for a while trying to work out if it was an 'In Soviet Russia' joke...

No, but man that is a missed opportunity. Crud.

Now that you mention it, she did have a pretty cool character design, almost standing out a bit from the rest of the crowd. (Let's keep the paranoia going!)

She is easily My favorite random NPC that could become a an ally for half a book.

Malfarian
2019-12-16, 10:31 AM
Didn't Durkon's Dad only appear once?

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-12-16, 10:43 AM
Didn't Durkon's Dad only appear once?

Counting the crayon drawings? No, way more than one page.

D.One
2019-12-16, 03:19 PM
If he had not appeared a second time, I'd bet on Jiminy finally getting to be someone important (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0942.html).

Peelee
2019-12-16, 03:23 PM
If he had not appeared a second time, I'd bet on Jiminy finally getting to be someone important (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0942.html).

Imean, the firsr time he appeared he was on two pages.

Ruck
2019-12-16, 04:51 PM
Orange Voice and Shoulder Pads Guy probably make the most sense off the top of my head, but there's so little to go on here that I don't think I have a realistic shot of guessing. I'm trying to think if there's someone who might have barely appeared in a prequel. (I wanted to guess "Keith Baker," but the Appearances Thread suggest he appeared on two pages.)

Also, re: the debate over which books count as prequels, as per

Someone who has appeared in exactly one (1) page of the story so far (including all the prequel stories) will become an important ally in the first half of the next book.

The page after the title page categorizes the books as "The Main Story," "The Prequels," and "The Random Stuff," so I would bet that "The Random Stuff" isn't a resource worth perusing to guess, being that it's all non-canonical, but the other two sections are. (The only books in "The Random Stuff" are Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales and Haleo and Julelan.)

Rektascensja
2019-12-16, 05:30 PM
Has anyone suggested the female goblin from SoD, who was interested in theology and wanted a date with Redcloack? Do we know what happened to her later?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-16, 06:34 PM
Well, since she was part of the village Xykon dragooned into assaulting the Dungeon of Dorukon odds are she got killed with the others.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-16, 07:01 PM
She was from the next valley over, so she might've evaded the press ganging and want vengeance for her family members who didn't escape.

Dausuul
2019-12-16, 07:38 PM
I say Mia Starshine.

#1. The Giant mentioned at one point that Haley and Sabine were opposites in more ways than had been revealed. As far as I know, this has never been explained.
#2. Haley has a cryptogram during her date with Elan, when she is trying to reveal her secrets, where she says "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call..." Again, this has never been explained. The final word was not spoken. But Haley's thoughts indicate that it's one of her deepest secrets.
#3. Given that the last book went so far as to bring Wrecan himself on stage as a tribute, I think we can safely assume that the Giant is using the character count thread as his scorecard for number of appearances. Most of the names being floated have more than 1 appearance per that thread. But Mia is on the cameo list - one of very few cameos with a significant relationship to a protagonist.
#4. Mia's single appearance was urging her husband and daughter to be "better than this city."

I think that the word Haley was about to say was "human," and that Mia Starshine was (is?) a celestial of some type.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-12-16, 08:40 PM
I think that the word Haley was about to say was "human," and that Mia Starshine was (is?) a celestial of some type.

Mmm. It makes me wonder, if Mia is/was a celestial and is able to become a big ally for the party, what has she been doing being MIA (Missing In Action) for ~20 years? How long does it take for a celestial to revive on its home plane?

Potentially, she becomes a planar ally for the party and flies Haley around so she can fight Oona on her Yrthak.

*shrug*

LadyEowyn
2019-12-16, 09:53 PM
Has anyone suggested the female goblin from SoD, who was interested in theology and wanted a date with Redcloack? Do we know what happened to her later?
I thought about suggesting that, but it seemed too unlikely. It would be fun if it happened, though.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-17, 01:43 AM
Also the panel where Haley is talking about what happened to her has her saying “mommy went to heaven last year” rather than that she explicitly died.

Rektascensja
2019-12-17, 04:03 AM
Ooo! Good one. And maybe the pair of round flawless gemstones Haley has is a magical device for summoning her mother. Haley just hasn't found a way to activate them yet!

skim172
2019-12-17, 05:35 AM
I say Mia Starshine.

#1. The Giant mentioned at one point that Haley and Sabine were opposites in more ways than had been revealed. As far as I know, this has never been explained.
#2. Haley has a cryptogram during her date with Elan, when she is trying to reveal her secrets, where she says "Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call..." Again, this has never been explained. The final word was not spoken. But Haley's thoughts indicate that it's one of her deepest secrets.
#3. Given that the last book went so far as to bring Wrecan himself on stage as a tribute, I think we can safely assume that the Giant is using the character count thread as his scorecard for number of appearances. Most of the names being floated have more than 1 appearance per that thread. But Mia is on the cameo list - one of very few cameos with a significant relationship to a protagonist.
#4. Mia's single appearance was urging her husband and daughter to be "better than this city."

Intriguing. Best idea I've heard so far, because you're right in that there are a couple hanging threads for Haley that have yet to be picked up. They're threads that could be explained away (Haley and Sabine have very opposite personalities and relationship styles; "Elan, I may not be exactly what you would call a good person") - but still hanging threads, and about a main character, too. So I vote for your idea. At the very least - someone involved with Haley's past.

I also like the idea that someone brought up of the gnome outfitter that asked Belkar out to lunch. She did have a unique enough design that she might be identifiable if she appeared again. Though if she did reappear, it would primarily be as character development for Belkar and I'd find it difficult to see how she ties in with the main story.

Other than that, my only thought is that it must be a god or a god's representative - one of either appeared at the Godsmoot or in one of the crayon flashbacks.

b_jonas
2019-12-17, 07:46 AM
I was thinking this ally might be one of the crew of the Mechane, since the Order is on the Mechane right now. But I don't know if there's any of them who appeared on exactly one page.

Ron Miel
2019-12-17, 07:48 AM
Also the panel where Haley is talking about what happened to her has her saying “mommy went to heaven last year” rather than that she explicitly died.

Yes, but in her actual sole appearance it says explicitly that she died.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0772.html

CJG
2019-12-17, 08:39 AM
why not one of the good aligned goblins?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html

We see a few of them just once I think.

Mind you, I’m just guessing for fun. I doubt this will pan out

Schroeswald
2019-12-17, 09:21 AM
Wait, are we talking about whether Haley is half-celestial again? Like, seriously, and not as a joke?

Quartz
2019-12-17, 09:46 AM
How about Boss Monster in the penultimate panel of 619 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0619.html)? It's a hanging thread and a blue dragon with goons would be CR-appropriate.

CJG
2019-12-17, 09:50 AM
Wait, are we talking about whether Haley is half-celestial again? Like, seriously, and not as a joke?

I know I haven’t been making the best guesses here, but I honestly don’t think it’s any of the gods (Hel tried to get involved and we see how that went) or any of the main characters family members. We’ve done the family thing for everyone but Belkar and I don’t know if he even has a family?

All that said I don’t have any real serious guesses going. There are plenty of one-off nameless characters it can be.

Stabbey
2019-12-17, 09:52 AM
The only one I can think of is the King of Nowhere.

brian 333
2019-12-17, 11:30 AM
Has no one suggested the contagious sphinx yet?

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-17, 11:49 AM
Obviously it's going to be the beholder from the first book. He's finally finished with the lawyers trying to prevent his big break.

Peelee
2019-12-17, 11:51 AM
Obviously it's going to be the beholder from the first book. He's finally finished with the lawyers trying to prevent his big break.

I hear he's eye-conic.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-17, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't bat a lash at it becoming famous.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-17, 12:22 PM
Wait, were we supposed to be taking this seriously?

D.One
2019-12-17, 12:27 PM
Wait, were we supposed to be taking this seriously?

Surely. With the same high standards of seriousness we adopt for each and every speculation and predictions in this forum.

Ruck
2019-12-17, 12:50 PM
I hear he's eye-conic.

That's eye-rodic.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-17, 12:52 PM
Are you sure you don't mean eye-ronic?:smallcool:

Ruck
2019-12-17, 12:53 PM
Are you sure you don't mean eye-ronic?:smallcool:

Eyes aren't made up of cones and rons.

Peelee
2019-12-17, 01:27 PM
Eyes aren't made up of cones and rons.

The Weasley family disagrees.

Riftwolf
2019-12-17, 01:42 PM
Farewell my Cone-y eye-land gal?

halfeye
2019-12-17, 02:02 PM
why not one of the good aligned goblins?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html

We see a few of them just once I think.

Mind you, I’m just guessing for fun. I doubt this will pan out
Because they were teenagers then, now they'll have grown out of their good alignment syndrome, there will be other teenage goblins, but they'll be as low level as those were back then.

littlebum2002
2019-12-17, 03:06 PM
Yes, but in her actual sole appearance it says explicitly that she died.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0772.html

I don't think it's her, but death is only a minor setback in this universe.

Anyway, it can't be her, because it's clearly That Guy With A Halberd (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?86816-That-Guy-with-a-Halberd)

b_jonas
2019-12-18, 10:39 AM
So the crew of the Mechane have probably already heard of Hel's plan and of Xykon. Perhaps not all of them shares Andy's and Five O'Clock Shadow's view from #1028 that the apocalypse is not the mechane's business (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1028.html). The Order can recruit an ally from them.

It turns out that indeed some of the crew of the Mechane only appeared on one page so far. The crewman in yellow clothes and with earrings appears only in #934 third panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0934.html) #392 fourteenth panel shows three people throwing alchemist's fire, and two of them only appear on that one page (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0392.html) (the middle one may or may not be the same as the person in #933 first panel).

skim172
2019-12-18, 10:46 AM
Guys. I've got it. There's only one person it possibly could be. We should've known.

Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html).

*cue dark orchestral music*

Also, the green and orange voices? Green Lantern and Firestorm. It's all coming together...

Grey Watcher
2019-12-18, 10:48 AM
Guys. I've got it. There's only one person it possibly could be. We should've known.

Batman (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0359.html).

No good, he's also in Start of Darkness. [/Insufferable Pedantry] :smalltongue:

Tryxx
2019-12-18, 01:38 PM
My slightly silly nomination is the Ranch Dressing Elemental (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0835.html).

The Order of the Stick having an alliance with an Elemental Prince (even if it's the Prince of Ranch Dressing) seems like it could be both funny and resourceful.

I also like to imagine Xykon being ambushed by these elementals and being covered in dip during the attack, which prompts the Monster in the Darkness to finally turn on and devour him since he smells so delicious.

Gluteus_Maximus
2019-12-18, 02:24 PM
My slightly silly nomination is the Ranch Dressing Elemental (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0835.html).

The Order of the Stick having an alliance with an Elemental Prince (even if it's the Prince of Ranch Dressing) seems like it could be both funny and resourceful.

I also like to imagine Xykon being ambushed by these elementals and being covered in dip during the attack, which prompts the Monster in the Darkness to finally turn on and devour him since he smells so delicious.

It may be a different elemental, but when V is sent there the first time a ranch dressing elemental is there

Ron Miel
2019-12-18, 02:28 PM

However, Robin(aka circus acrobat boy) only appears in one panel in SOD, so it could be him.

D.One
2019-12-18, 02:31 PM
Maybe Roy's plan with Roy's Archon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html) will succeed, and Heavens will send Sir Rover, the Blessed Hound (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0534.html), to help the Order.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-18, 02:39 PM

Nah, if you really want to mess with Xykon, you need a Coffee Elemental.

Reboot
2019-12-18, 03:20 PM

SEMI-elemental! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0802.html)

skim172
2019-12-19, 02:16 AM
So you think - but that's not the real Batman, that's actually the second Robin who is pretending to be Batman for the purposes of deceiving the third Robin who has now become evil and is trying to kill Batman, with the assistance of the fourth Batgirl and the second Batwoman and the sixth Alfred.

So as you can see, via this artful and not at all ham-fisted retcon, the story totally holds up.

Quebbster
2019-12-19, 04:42 AM
Surely, a noted expert (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1170.html) would be a valuable ally.

Tom Lehmann
2019-12-19, 05:22 AM
Here's a weird possibility: the Priest of Tiamat from #571 (who raised the Oracle). I believe that is the sole page this Priest has appeared in.

We've been given quite a few hints that Tiamat has reached out to The Dark One and she may have oracular powers of her own. While the IFCC has been able to dissuade her from acting against them so far, it may be that their plans for the Gate and her own diverge, forcing her to take action via her cleric and help OOTS oppose the IFCC and their vessel.

Dausuul
2019-12-19, 07:52 PM
Sure. It ties together a couple of long-standing mysteries (the "key way" in which Haley and Sabine are opposed; Haley's un-revealed secret) in a neat little way. It's wild speculation, obviously, but so is this entire thread.

CriticalFailure
2019-12-19, 09:18 PM
Maybe they will both viscously avenge the death of their lover.

Rogar Demonblud
2019-12-20, 12:25 AM
How? They got rid of that wand in the switch to 3rd Ed. Too bad, it was fun sticking annoying people to stuff.

Ruck
2019-12-20, 01:18 AM
Sure. It ties together a couple of long-standing mysteries (the "key way" in which Haley and Sabine are opposed; Haley's un-revealed secret) in a neat little way. It's wild speculation, obviously, but so is this entire thread.

I think that first point has been explained by the Giant elsewhere, although I don't remember the exact quote...

something about Sabine secretly working for another organization and Haley secretly not working for another organization.

Maybe they will both viscously avenge the death of their lover.

sounds slippery, but Elan is going to get a happy ending.

Crusher
2019-12-20, 12:16 PM
Btw, I've updated the list. However, I had to make a number of judgment calls on whether people were simply offering candidates for discussion, intended the candidate as a joke, or were saying they genuinely thought it was the candidate. I went with what the person seemed to actually intend, or whatever seemed funnier to me, depending on the situation. Look over the list and let me know if you want me to make a change.

Petrocorus
2019-12-20, 12:44 PM
Btw, I've updated the list. However, I had to make a number of judgment calls on whether people were simply offering candidates for discussion, intended the candidate as a joke, or were saying they genuinely thought it was the candidate. I went with what the person seemed to actually intend, or whatever seemed funnier to me, depending on the situation. Look over the list and let me know if you want me to make a change.

Link for easiness: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24308097&postcount=130

Crusher
2019-12-20, 01:05 PM
Link for easiness: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=24308097&postcount=130

Oh, thanks for the link. I intended to do that and totally forgot.

b_jonas
2019-12-20, 01:21 PM
Haley's mistrust and all-purpose greed has already helped the Order a few times, such as when he figured out Xykon's shell game at the Azure city siege. This time it could be a different aspect of her personality that helps the Order. That aspect of her personality is represented by Haley with green hair and green dress in #381 final panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0381.html). The wiki calls that aspect "Haley's envy", but I don't insist on envy specifically. I know that an aspect of personality isn't a "character", but that quote from the Giant doesn't say "character", that word was brought in by the thread title.

AdAstra
2019-12-20, 03:02 PM
Haley's mistrust and all-purpose greed has already helped the Order a few times, such as when he figured out Xykon's shell game at the Azure city siege. This time it could be a different aspect of her personality that helps the Order. That aspect of her personality is represented by Haley with green hair and green dress in #381 final panel (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0381.html). The wiki calls that aspect "Haley's envy", but I don't insist on envy specifically. I know that an aspect of personality isn't a "character", but that quote from the Giant doesn't say "character", that word was brought in by the thread title.

I was thinking of proposing Haley’s Latent Bisexuality as a candidate earlier, but it felt just silly enough to not do without prompting.

Grey Watcher
2019-12-20, 03:49 PM
I was thinking of proposing Haley’s Latent Bisexuality as a candidate earlier, but it felt just silly enough to not do without prompting.

I wonder what she looks like since getting upgraded to Haley's Bisexuality.

Petrocorus
2019-12-20, 04:07 PM
I wonder what she looks like since getting upgraded to Haley's Bisexuality.

Wait, since when Haley's bisexuality is not latent any more?

Rrmcklin
2019-12-20, 04:24 PM

I mean, to me the whole reasoning behind the speculation Haley going "I might not be exactly.." (or whatever she said) and jumping on that to mean she's going to say "human" when theres literally nothing else that hints that Haley is anything other than human, seems like too huge a leap even for wild speculation.