PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Does Level Adjustment Stack?

Destro2119
2019-12-11, 09:09 AM
New poster here with a question on the dreaded level adjustment. I am pretty familiar with the actual mechanics of level adjustment, but I am hazy on whether it stacks or not. For example, would a half-dragon, half fiend, half-celestial natural lycanthrope human stack all those LAs? How much xp would he need to advance to sorcerer level 1?

On a more pedantic note, I notice the half-fiend's LA is just +4 instead of "same as base creature + x" like the other "half-" templates. Does this have any special significance (like half fiends LA overriding others)?

Mike Miller
2019-12-11, 09:19 AM
All LA stacks. Usually CR is listed along the lines of "as base creature +X"

If you have a monster race with +2 LA and a template that is +3 LA, your total LA is +5. RHD+LA+class levels=ECL (by RAW, even if it doesn't really work out that way all the time).

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-11, 09:22 AM
Yes, Level Adjustment stacks. :smile:

Destro2119
2019-12-11, 09:31 AM
Then could you tell me how much xp our aspiring sorcerer would need to attain level one? (And maybe stat him up as well?)

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-11, 09:44 AM
Then could you tell me how much xp our aspiring sorcerer would need to attain level one? (And maybe stat him up as well?)

It doesn't work like that to attain level one sorcerer. Sure the sorcerer will gain skills points, feats, ability scores and spells in addition of spell-like abilities. I don't think it doesn't attain as a level one sorcerer.

ngilop
2019-12-11, 10:15 AM
first you take the HD of the lycantrope then you add all the level adjustment together that is your 'base' level then you have to earn whatever experience to get to the next level which will be your first level in sorcerer?
EXAMPLE (werewolf half celestial half fiendish half dragon Human (not sure how human this guy is though)

3 +3 +4 +4 +3 = 17. So to get your first level in sorcerer you would need to attain enough experience to be level 18.

If you do not understand that i honestly have no idea how to make is simpler.

Crake
2019-12-11, 10:20 AM

Normally a character would start at level 1 minimum, due to requiring at least 1HD, but because your combo has racial HD, thats not the case. The XP required to level up will depend on what kind of lycanthrope you are, but at +14 la, its going to be ab ungodly number. If we assume a werewolf with 2RHD, then youre starting at ECL16, so youd need the XP of a 17th level character to get your first class level.

first you take the HD of the lycantrope then you add all the level adjustment together that is your 'base' level then you have to earn whatever experience to get to the next level which will be your first level in sorcerer?
EXAMPLE (werewolf half celestial half fiendish half dragon Human (not sure how human this guy is though)

3 +3 +4 +4 +3 = 17. So to get your first level in sorcerer you would need to attain enough experience to be level 18.

If you do not understand that i honestly have no idea how to make is simpler.

Werewolf has 2RHD, not 3, the sample statblock has a level in commoner

Railak
2019-12-11, 12:26 PM
Well
A human half fiend half dragon half celestial sorcerer lv1
Current xp (unless DM allows it earlier) 66,000
Next level 78000 (regardless of if DM allows earlier)

Str +16
Dex +6
Con +8
Int +8
Wis +4
Cha +8

You'll have 4+con mod up
2+int mod x4 skill points
2 feats
Bab +0
Fort +0
Refl +0
Will +2
+6 natural armor
Fly speed 60ft (average)
Bite 1d6
2 claws 1d4

Smite evil & smite good 1/day
Breath weapon 1/day (type based off dragon)
Darkness 3/day
Protection from evil 3/day
Bless
An immunity based off dragon
Darkvision 60 ft
Dr 5/magic
Immune to poison and disease
Acid cold electricity and fire res 10
Spell resistance 11

Kelb_Panthera
2019-12-11, 02:35 PM
Technically the above posters are absolutely correct. LA stacks and your ridiculous example is somewhere in the upper teens before his first class level.

However, savage species has a set of guidelines for setting an ad-hoc level adjustment for creatures and I'd very strongly advize applying them to such an abomination. There's a -lot- of redundancy there and there's simply no way that what you get is worth LA +14.

Remuko
2019-12-11, 03:56 PM
Well
A human half fiend half dragon half celestial sorcerer lv1
Current xp (unless DM allows it earlier) 66,000
Next level 78000 (regardless of if DM allows earlier)

Str +16
Dex +6
Con +8
Int +8
Wis +4
Cha +8

You'll have 4+con mod up
2+int mod x4 skill points
2 feats
Bab +0
Fort +0
Refl +0
Will +2
+6 natural armor
Fly speed 60ft (average)
Bite 1d6
2 claws 1d4

Smite evil & smite good 1/day
Breath weapon 1/day (type based off dragon)
Darkness 3/day
Protection from evil 3/day
Bless
An immunity based off dragon
Darkvision 60 ft
Dr 5/magic
Immune to poison and disease
Acid cold electricity and fire res 10
Spell resistance 11

You forgot the lycanthropy.