PDA

View Full Version : Robe of useful items and a decanter of endless water

cullynthedwarf
2019-12-11, 12:15 PM
Maybe this has already been talked about here, maybe not.

This is gonna get semi technical and math heavy so for those who go swirly eyed at this I'm sorry now.

A decanter of endless water on geyser produces 30 gallons per round, a round being 6 seconds we cab say that 5 gallons is made in 1 second. Straight division, easy so far.

Most fluid calculation is done in gallons per minute so we multiply 30 gallons by 10 rounds and get 300 gallons per minute. Still easy

Now we have to make a few educated guesses. The decanter in 3.5 as well as 5 is listed as a stoppered flask. A beer/soda bottle has an opening of 3\4 of an inch while a steel hip flask has an opening of 1\4 of an inch. At a average of 1\2 inch I got an exit speed of almost 316 feet per second which is roughly 200 miles per hour. I am assuming my math is wrong some where in here. Even though this flairs out to a one foot beam after a certain point. Or shall we consider this a cone at end of its 30 foot trek?

So after all this the question is how fast does it actually come out at, and two how much force is generated when being used as a motor for the row boat from the robe of useful. I know that second part is weight dependent since a 5 pound rocket will go faster then a 20 rocket with the same engine but a ball park to play would be helpful.

Thank you Mathletes

JackPhoenix
2019-12-11, 12:28 PM
Well, the decanter is able to push objects weighting less than 200 pounds 15'.

100 lb rowboat + passenger and their equipment is propably over 200 pounds.

Mr Adventurer
2019-12-11, 12:46 PM
Modern cans and hip flasks are not the same as a flask from a lower technology setting. I'd guess an aperture of one or two inches might be appropriate.

Quoz
2019-12-11, 01:43 PM
No matter how you look at it, it probably packs the horsepower of a decent outboard motor. A few simple cantrips and skill checks (shape water for hollow ice pontoons, survival checks to gather wood and vines/rope, a crafting check to put it all together) can make a solid equivalent of a modern boat. Yeah it's probably clunky and won't hold up to an attack, but for overland travel through marshes and rivers (like much of Chult) it can be a great way to move quickly. And it's all reproducible, so you dont have to lug it over land.

In a more magitech setting or with a lenient GM, a decanter could probably even provide the thrust to power a small flying craft. There are certainly some drawbacks, like the constant rain making your path nearly impossible to miss, but from a standpoint of physics as we know them, the decanter's ability to provide thrust is a very open ended tool to have access to.

Lunali
2019-12-11, 07:36 PM
To point out a physics oddity, the decanter has no recoil, to propel a boat or the like with it, you need to hit the boat (or a sail or some such) with the water.

Erys
2019-12-11, 08:20 PM
To point out a physics oddity, the decanter has no recoil, to propel a boat or the like with it, you need to hit the boat (or a sail or some such) with the water.

lol

That is technically true.

Hadn't thought about that before.

Anderlith
2019-12-11, 08:40 PM
The decanter works on weird physics. It’s basically a dimensional hole to the plane of Water. While it can constantly generate water, even water pressure, it doesn’t generate reciprocal force on this plane as any opposite reaction would be applied to the source of the water, not the bottle itself.

Dork_Forge
2019-12-13, 04:27 AM

Using the decanter to turn a paddle wheel like a Tom Sawyeresque steam boat would be a neat way to get around this. Some Carpenter's tools checks and downtime and you could have the ikea equivalent of a boat motor that could collapse down into a bag of holding.