PDA

View Full Version : DEFLECT MISSILES - substitute

Houston810
2019-12-11, 01:30 PM
I working on a build that needs to be able to deflect at least missile attacks back at a creature. Right now I only know of the level 3 monk ability that does this. Does anyone else know of another way I could get this ability or something similar?

CheddarChampion
2019-12-11, 02:21 PM
The closest thing I can think of is asking your DM if you can do such a thing with the riposte maneuver from Battlemaster.

Otherwise I'm pretty sure there are no other abilities that provide a defensive boost against one ranged weapon attack and let you retaliate at the same time.
There are abilities that let you deflect and abilities that let you retaliate but Monk is the only one that does both at once.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-11, 02:26 PM
A Readied Catapult could do it, as long as the projectile met the weight requirements.

Otherwise...I can't think of anything else that hits enemies with their own projectiles. Melee attacks, yes. Ranged attacks, no.

stoutstien
2019-12-11, 02:27 PM
Ready action and the catapult spell?

malachi
2019-12-11, 02:32 PM
I was thinking that Instinctive Charm from the Enchantment Wizard might do the trick, but it forces the creature to to attack the nearest creature to it (other than itself or you), so that's a no-go. It's a pretty useful ability, but doesn't fit your concept.
Gloves of Missile Snaring only let you catch the ammunition, not throw it back.

I'm stumped as well. (Mostly putting this out there so that others don't waste time looking it up themselves).

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-11, 03:11 PM
Ready action and the catapult spell?

Yup, that's what I meant.

Inbound Javelin now becomes an Outbound Javelin.

Lupine
2019-12-11, 03:34 PM
Inbound Javelin now becomes an Outbound Javelin.

MOG invents wizard's tennis. Man, have I missed you!

rel
2019-12-11, 06:06 PM
How about the friendly fire spell from EoE?

whoops wrong forum. My bad.

Seekergeek
2019-12-11, 10:13 PM
If it’s on the table, the Mystic had an ability under mastery of air which I think imposes disadvantage and forces a reroll against themselves on a miss.

Frozenstep
2019-12-11, 11:35 PM
This is going to take generous DM interpretation, but a readied scatter spell. Enemy throws javelin at you, you cast scatter and teleport away, while you forcibly teleport the enemy to where you just were.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-12, 11:27 AM
MOG invents wizard's tennis. Man, have I missed you!

:redface:

D'Awww, thanks man! It's good to be back.