PDA

View Full Version : Is there any pattern to subclass feature levels between classes?

Luccan
2019-12-12, 12:01 AM
So, in trying to build a couple new classes, I've discovered there seems to be little or no pattern to how many and when classes receive their subclass features. Except for some reason for Druids and Wizards, which both gain their subclass at level 2 and their subsequent features at 6, 10, and 14. Am I missing a pattern between other classes or is there simply none and Druids and Wizards share that progression arbitrarily/by chance?

Teaguethebean
2019-12-12, 12:25 AM
Yeah subclasses don't really have a reason to all have a similar progression so they kinda just don't. Beyond not granting new features at 4th 8th 12th 16th and 18th level I can't really find a patter.

Anderlith
2019-12-12, 12:28 AM
That’s more of a Pathfinder thing. The sunglasses are balanced within the class not against other classes

Luccan
2019-12-12, 12:33 AM
Yeah subclasses don't really have a reason to all have a similar progression so they kinda just don't. Beyond not granting new features at 4th 8th 12th 16th and 18th level I can't really find a patter.

That’s more of a Pathfinder thing. The sunglasses are balanced within the class not against other classes

Good to know. It also doesn't go over 5 subclass features (never bothered counting until right this minute), but you're right there's no pattern beyond that. Guess that means I don't have to worry too much about building it wrong.

Greywander
2019-12-12, 01:19 AM
There is kinda a pattern, but it really is all over the place. I'd recommend taking a look at this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gR9yfTbXJ2mMz0vYkdVQIzQWKTw9IODpzteFJShl1zo/edit

Every class chooses a subclass at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level. Generally, if a subclass is the source of their power, as with clerics and sorcerers, they get it at 1st level.

Most classes get their next feature at 6th level. A couple outliers get it at 7th instead.

The next subclass feature comes around 10th level, but may be 9th or 11th.

The final subclass feature is typically at 14th level, but may be 13th or 15th.

A few classes get one last feature at 17th, 18th or 20th level.

So the pattern of a typical class is to choose an archetype at 1st-3rd level, then get subclass features at 6th, 10th, and 14th level. There may, or may not, be a final capstone at 17th-20th.

I do kind of wish all classes got subclass features on the same levels, so we could swap subclasses around between classes. I know some of them wouldn't make sense, but you could probably do a little tweaking to make it work.

diplomancer
2019-12-12, 01:24 AM
Full casters usually get subclass features at even levels. This is because every odd level except 19th means a new spell level. The reverse of that is half-casters usually get their subclass features at odd levels where they DON'T get a new spell level, and base class features at even levels.

Non-casters are all over the place, I think.

Tanarii
2019-12-12, 07:10 AM
There is a pattern, and it's a simple one:
No class should have a dead level.