PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Lizardfolk, Shadow Magic Sorcerer, Mercenary Veteran Build

ScoutTrooper
2019-12-12, 08:56 AM
So after a failed CoS campaign with constant TPKs each session and an epic ‘The Grey’ last stand in the wolves den. My local group decided to switch things up and the DM wanted to get off rails. So now we’re taking a crack at his homebrew.

With no Restrictions and Standard Rolls for Stats, I have drawn up the subjected

STR 11 (0)
DEX 14 (+2)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 10 (0)
WIS 11 (0)
CHA 16 (+4)
Prof. Skills – Arcana, Intimidation, Athletics, Persuasion, Survival, Animal Handling.
And chose Three-Dragon-Ante for my game set.
Cantrips – Prestidigitation, Create Bonfire, Firebolt, Frostbite
1st Level Spells – Chaos Bolt, Shield

I did starting wealth in attempts to grab some caltrops, Oil and if I got a lucky high roll, a mule + cart. The DM also started to get anal on carrying capacity mid CoS, so us players started using Roll20 for the auto calculations on our character sheets.

Level 2 – 1st level spell; Catapult

Level 3 – 2nd level spell; Mirror Image
2 Sorc Point costing Darkness Spell *That I can see through*

Level 4 – Feat: War Caster
2nd level spell; Shadowblade
Cantrip, Shocking Grasp
Twinned Spell & Quicken Spell

We’ve recently got to 4th level, and I took War Caster. Now I’m thinking of Dipping 4 levels into Rogue; Mastermind.

One of the players is a Dwarf Cleric of the Forge, and I got him to channel divinity one of my daggers and Arcane Focus together. Now dual wielding the bone darts from slain enemies and dagger/focus, able to still cast spells. Also if there isn’t enough fire, ‘drop’ a flask of oil, cast catapult (It’s the only legal way to do it, RAW)

Legally you can ‘drop’ the oil, Cast Catapult, hits an enemy (3d8). Quicken Firebolt (1d10+5).
The ‘drop’ is flavored as, pulling the string to drop the flask off a bandolier, and casting catapult before it hits the ground.

I’ve also picked up Alchemist Supplies, and 50gp (1lb.) of material to make my own oil flask. Doing the math and using XGtE. I have 1000 long rests worth of materials if I’m making strictly oil.

The multiclass isn’t really for the armor or added proficiencies but getting the sneak attack to couple with my shadow magic and melee. And 4 level dip in Rogue, just to get Master of Tactics, and then end on that track's ASI before going back to Sorcerer. I don’t believe this campaign is going see late game.

However, I’m not posting to just share a build, but to start a discussion. I believe I did this wrong. I’m conflicted that if I were to do a Shadow Sorc / Mastermind Rogue build, that the first 8 levels should maybe alternate. Perhaps starting on Rogue, and then splash Sorc in the beginning, after Rogue 4, main Sorc.

The idea of the build is to be a more versatile caster that can withstand a bit, alter the battlefield, create traps, have an escape mechanism, and stand their own if in melee. Also, obviously starting fires everywhere.
Thoughts?

da newt
2019-12-12, 09:38 AM
I'd look at mold earth to create foxholes and earth berm cover, and also booming blade/rapier to increase DPR when in melee.

I'd also look hard at going to lvl 5 rogue for uncanny dodge (and one more d6 SA damage).

Expected
2019-12-12, 06:44 PM
Have you considered dipping 2 or 3 levels into Hexblade Warlock? You'll get Eldritch Blast, Shield, Hex, Hexblade's Curse, Eldritch Invocations, proficiency in medium armor and shields, and a Pact (if you go Warlock 3).

ScoutTrooper
2019-12-13, 08:05 AM
I'd also look hard at going to lvl 5 rogue for uncanny dodge (and one more d6 SA damage).

Oooh, very valid point out, that sounds like a great option. I also think I plan to pick up Mold Earth

Have you considered dipping 2 or 3 levels into Hexblade Warlock?

Funny you should say that, in the failed CoS i was 3 Hexblade 4 Paladin before we TPK'd the last time. Great spells, great combat prowess. That PC could just run in and burst anything at will. This PC I'm going for more mobile and battlefield altering abilities to change battles tactically. The DM is one to just throw ads at his players and his Agro Logic is kind funky.

Also as playing Lizardfolk with the +2 DEX, I'm sitting at a 15 AC (20 with Shield Spell) So the best medium armor option is only adding one [Breastplate], and that's until I do an ASI to Dex, which could be the 3rd one after I max CHA.

However, it's a decent option to get back to just bursting every round. So much fun. I RP'd Paladin having a french accent but the Pact Weapon had a Jamaican accent.