PDA

View Full Version : FrostRager Barb question..

Cocky
2007-10-20, 09:36 AM
I love the flavour of the Frostrager PRC from the Frostburn book, and although I'm sure it isn't perhaps the wisest of choices (a greatsword + supporting feats would probably be a lot more effective damage wise) I was wondering how you guys would go about improving my unarmed skill? Currently a human expert1/barb1 (our campaign requires 1 level in an npc class in a low magic setting) My stats are 18 str 17 con 13 dex 13 int 13 wis 12 cha with improved unarmed+improved grapple. Any suggested feats/tactics/items for pumping up my bareknuckle damage and grappling prowess?

I have a wide range of books, but the closer to core the better, and I don't much fancy going mad with multiclassing, but may dip the odd one.

Thanks in advance.

Armads
2007-10-20, 09:40 AM
Gloves of the Titan's Grip give you a crazy grapple bonus for a few minutes a day. You could take Improved Natural Attack (unarmed strike) to improve your unarmed damage.

Catch
2007-10-20, 09:46 AM
Take Superior Unarmed Strike from the Tome of Battle. It makes your unarmed damage scale with levels, so by level 16 your fists will be worth 2d6 a pop.

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-20, 10:18 AM
Look at getting the Armbands of Might from the Magic Item Compendium. It can be enhanced like weapons (it says so) and gives a little extra for the power attack. Also look at an enhancement like Collision (+5 damage to everything, multiplies on crit) and if you have the feats; Improved Bull Rush and Shock Trooper. If you have enough space, you can have the party magic user smack you with a Wand of Enlarge Person (cheap way to get Large, or even huge..) and that will be just gravy. The damage can get done; it is just a matter of how.

One of our players has a Frostrager, and he is awesome. Currently only does a d3 on the fist; but with the buffs, power attack, and etc. he is doing 25-35 damage per hit (3 swings, 4 if he uses one-two punch). When he rages, uses some items and feats; he can gt up to a 3d6. Not too shabby.

Person_Man
2007-10-20, 10:56 AM
Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50588&highlight=%22frozen+dwarf+hulk%22)!!!

Chronos
2007-10-20, 11:48 AM
Take Superior Unarmed Strike from the Tome of Battle. It makes your unarmed damage scale with levels, so by level 16 your fists will be worth 2d6 a pop.I know there's a general rule that a scaling bonus is better than a flat bonus, but that looks like a pretty pathetic scaling, to me. 2d6 still isn't very much compared to what you're going to get from strength, Power Attack, etc.

AtomicKitKat
2007-10-20, 11:55 AM
If you're not averse to taking penalties(especially with that Strength), Snap Kick from Tome of Battle will net you another attack for -2 to every attack. Roundabout Kick from Complete Warrior nets you another every time you critical(at the AB of the attack that criticalled). Black Blood Cultist would be great, since you can squeeze all your natural attacks in whenever you grapple, but it's FR specific.

Catch
2007-10-20, 12:28 PM
I know there's a general rule that a scaling bonus is better than a flat bonus, but that looks like a pretty pathetic scaling, to me. 2d6 still isn't very much compared to what you're going to get from strength, Power Attack, etc.

It's basically a step or so behind the Monk's progression. Alone, no, it's not that great, but it's better than 1d3 and you can get it at 3rd level. Adding Snap Kick for an extra attack helps too.

BardicDuelist
2007-10-20, 01:41 PM
I was looking for the awesome combo with Frostrager and brown mold, but PersonMan beat me to it (which is fitting, since it was his post that I was going to link to). Indeed, Frozed Dwarf Hulk Smash is a very good idea.

Cocky
2007-10-20, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the help so far guys it's greatly appreciated, and has given me some confidence that I won't completely suck:)

The Frost Dwarf Hulk/Brown Mold idea does seem a tad cheesy.. when it comes to class dipping and what have you I'd like to keep it in character a bit, and when you have a bunch of obscure classes it arouses not only my but certainly my DM's suspicion (As he has said, "anything you use, be prepared for it to be used against you") So whilst dipping a level of fighter under the tutelage of another party member is in, having 3 PRC's is out. Also our low magic campaign might make finding certain items a little tricky, but keep up the great suggestions nontheless.

Cheers.