PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Bard 4th lvl Spell Choice

airless_wing
2019-12-12, 10:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm plagued with indecision after my last level-up. We just went from 6 to 7, so I get my first 4th level spell.
I'm playing a Swords Bard, who is one of the better frontline fighters of the group. Two weapon fighting style, Duel-Wielding scimitars.
My current spell list is:
1: Healing Word, Bane, Dissonant Whispers, Faerie Fire, Speak with Animals
2: Enhance Ability, Cloud of Daggers, Lesser Restoration
3: Hypnotic Pattern

The character is modeled after a matador, so something like Greater Invisibility doesn't seem to fit the theme of a flamboyant fighter.
Compulsion looks pretty intriguing, but I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would use that instead of a Hypnotic Pattern.

The other two options I'm heavily debating are Freedom of Movement and Dimension Door.
I think I'm leaning heavily towards Freedom of Movement. Non-concentration movement buff seems pretty good in many situations, and fantastic in more specific conditions. Plus, paired with Countercharm, it would make me fairly difficult to lock down with any kind of magical effect.

Dimension Door is obviously a great spell, and was my knee-jerk choice. But, again, I don't think it's a great spell for a 'flashy' fighter. And it's only one use per long rest (for now), whereas Freedom of Movement lasts an hour.

What are all of your thoughts here? I greatly appreciate it!

diplomancer
2019-12-12, 10:34 AM
Hey all,

I'm plagued with indecision after my last level-up. We just went from 6 to 7, so I get my first 4th level spell.
I'm playing a Swords Bard, who is one of the better frontline fighters of the group. Two weapon fighting style, Duel-Wielding scimitars.
My current spell list is:
1: Healing Word, Bane, Dissonant Whispers, Faerie Fire, Speak with Animals
2: Enhance Ability, Cloud of Daggers, Lesser Restoration
3: Hypnotic Pattern

The character is modeled after a matador, so something like Greater Invisibility doesn't seem to fit the theme of a flamboyant fighter.
Compulsion looks pretty intriguing, but I'm having a hard time figuring out when I would use that instead of a Hypnotic Pattern.

The other two options I'm heavily debating are Freedom of Movement and Dimension Door.
I think I'm leaning heavily towards Freedom of Movement. Non-concentration movement buff seems pretty good in many situations, and fantastic in more specific conditions. Plus, paired with Countercharm, it would make me fairly difficult to lock down with any kind of magical effect.

Dimension Door is obviously a great spell, and was my knee-jerk choice. But, again, I don't think it's a great spell for a 'flashy' fighter. And it's only one use per long rest (for now), whereas Freedom of Movement lasts an hour.

What are all of your thoughts here? I greatly appreciate it!

Freedom of movement lasts longer, true, but I believe it is useful in fewer occasions than dimension door. 4th level is not a great spell level for Bards. A good choice also is Polymorph