PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Theme Build: The Lone Wanderer

Misterwhisper
2019-12-12, 10:48 AM
Ok, so this week the theme is for a character that is completely independent and does not need any support.

Thinks it would probably need:
Darkvision would be almost required, unless you are are an artificer and make your own goggles of night.
Some way to make your own food and water, like goodberry, or high survival skills, or just not needing them.
Crafting skills to make their own gear, or just not need much gear.
Some way to stay alive by either medical skill or healing.
A solid background for nifty utility.
Multiple tool proficiencies.
Single person combat efficiency.

I was thinking: Say level 7:

Warforged
For no need for food or drink, also no problem with sickness.
Stat bonuses are fine.
Can get arm blades, armor, or other attachments to handle traveling gear.

Background:
Lots of good choices
Can make your own anyway so they all are fine.

Class: Artificer 7
Can craft all your own gear, including the much needed goggles of night.
Can make your own magical gear, and pretty much any other things you may need.
Very self sufficient with the tons of tool skills and proficiencies.

Skills:
Perception is always vital.
Survival and stealth would be needed.
Probably not much in the way of social skills.

Tools:
Smithing for your own gear
Medicine kit or herbalism kit if you are not a warforged

So what can we come up with this week?

Kurt Kurageous
2019-12-12, 12:09 PM
The title says a lot.

How is this character going to come to join a party?

Yakmala
2019-12-12, 12:34 PM
When you say completely independent and doesn't need support, are you assuming they are this way right from the start? Or that they reach this level of independence over time?

If the later, then I'd say Monk.

I currently have a Level 15 Long Death Monk and there's little if anything they need from another party member or outside source.

Fists are magical attacks. So no need for a weapon.
Naturally high AC from Unarmored Defense, so no need for armor.
Immune to disease, poison and artificial aging and does not need food or water. You could toss them in a dark pit with no resources for 50 years and they would be the same as when you left them on your return.
Can end charm and fear effects on himself.
Proficiency in every saving throw.
Understands all spoken languages.
Can start the adventure by killing a rat and giving themselves 20+ temporary HP.
Zero damage from Area attacks when making a successful Dexterity save [which is almost always].
Magic items are nice, but not really needed to function.
Falling damage is not a big deal. Same for missiles that actually manage to hit.
Best of all, can spend a Ki Point any time they are reduced to zero health and be at 1 HP instead. This does not take an Action, Bonus Action or Reaction, so it can be done at any time, even when incapacitated. Assuming even a single short rest per adventuring session, that is up to 40 "Get Out of Death Free" cards per adventure.

Plus, they are a Monk, which, thematically, is perfect for the Lone Wanderer archetype.

Misterwhisper
2019-12-12, 12:34 PM
The title says a lot.

How is this character going to come to join a party?

It isn't, I do these every week to build characters based on a theme, most of them are for NPCs in a game or as a theory craft.

It isn't meant for a PC in a group.

Rerem115
2019-12-12, 12:40 PM
From the first few bullet points, the first thing that came to mind was a Lizardfolk Druid or Ranger, Outlander background customized as you see fit. It doubles down on the 'survival' aspect, having both the ability to craft weapons and forage for food. If need be, Goodberry is a fantastic spell. While it doesn't have darkvision, both classes do get it on their spell list.

HiveStriker
2019-12-12, 12:50 PM
Easy: Ranger, any archetype although Hunter or Gloomstalker may be the most fitting.
Everything is in the class, although half of it at the cost of spell slots. :)
Moon Druid fits even better apart from the fact it has no "martial fluff" attached.

Honestly though, any Wizard but especially Transmuter may fit the description, as well as a Tome Warlock, most Monks, possibly even a Forge or Trickery Cleric depending on the level we consider. ^^

Kurt Kurageous
2019-12-12, 01:20 PM
It isn't, I do these every week to build characters based on a theme, most of them are for NPCs in a game or as a theory craft.

It isn't meant for a PC in a group.

Thank you. I was confused.

Gotta say outlander for the background, or far traveler (I think thats what its called) from SCAG.

If this is an NPC, they need to be suitable as quest-givers, sympathetic that they aren't viewed as a XP pool, and compelling enough players will let them talk a bit (two sentences, max!).