PDA

View Full Version : What can and can't Tortles do?

No1ofIntrst
2019-12-12, 09:16 PM
Tortles have the ability "Shell Defence" which allows them to withdraw into their shell. Two things: Can they still do some of the "ongoing" abilities (spiritual guardians), and can they take bonus actions? It says "the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell." This is weirdly worded, as it says action (which normally means, well... an Action) but then it references Bonus Actions, seeming to suggest you can't do stuff like Spiritual Weapon.

No brains
2019-12-12, 09:29 PM
I'm pretty sure bonus actions, re-actions, and object inter-actions are all considered actions.

As for keeping concentration on spells, that would probably still work. I'm happy to see the community is still thinking of ways to keep 'spirit guardians + sanctuary' alive in some form.:smalltongue:

Telwar
2019-12-12, 10:40 PM
I'm pretty sure bonus actions, re-actions, and object inter-actions are all considered actions.

As for keeping concentration on spells, that would probably still work. I'm happy to see the community is still thinking of ways to keep 'spirit guardians + sanctuary' alive in some form.:smalltongue:

Agreed on both counts. There could be better wording in the description, but it does what it says on the can. Concentration should be fine, but that's it.

Zerubbabel
2019-12-13, 01:29 AM
Seriously, what CAN'T a Tortle do!!!!???

Dr paradox
2019-12-13, 01:56 AM
Listen to what I say.

Tortles can do anything they set their minds to.

Keep on dreaming, turtle-man.

Rivaler
2019-12-13, 03:09 AM
Also, I believe that, RAW, tortles can grapple someone, Shell Defense and, somehow, keep the grappling action going lol

ad_hoc
2019-12-13, 04:09 AM
Tortles have the ability "Shell Defence" which allows them to withdraw into their shell. Two things: Can they still do some of the "ongoing" abilities (spiritual guardians), and can they take bonus actions? It says "the only action you can take is a bonus action to emerge from your shell." This is weirdly worded, as it says action (which normally means, well... an Action) but then it references Bonus Actions, seeming to suggest you can't do stuff like Spiritual Weapon.

A Bonus Action is a type of Action.

See the rules for surprise for another example.

Both moving and reactions are not Actions however. Those are always listed separately.

Reactions are not actions.

Interacting with an object is just something you do during either your Move or your Action. If you want to do it two times then the 2nd time takes an Action. Since you are doing it during your Move or your Action, if you are not able to Move or Act then you can't also interact with objects.

Speaking is non of the above and a character may freely do so unless specifically stated otherwise.

No1ofIntrst
2019-12-13, 04:45 PM
Well, that's a bummer. Tortles basically get nothing good then...

nickl_2000
2019-12-13, 05:15 PM
Well, that's a bummer. Tortles basically get nothing good then...

Tortles get a 17 AC without needing any armor proficiency at all or any stats. That alone is enough to take the class sometimes.

SunderedWorldDM
2019-12-13, 05:30 PM
This may be slightly unpopular, but when there are these gaps in the rules, I typically fall back onto story. Ask yourself whether this large turtle person COULD do X thing while inside their shell. As the DM, your gut is law. Unless you play in one of those games where everyone is a big rules person, that may get you in trouble.