PDA

View Full Version : Planar Binding

Yogibear41
2019-12-13, 03:53 AM
I have a creature successfully called via Planar Binding, I have it restrained with calling diagrams, dimensional anchor, magic circles, etc, etc.

I am making Charisma ability checks to get it to perform a service for me.

Can I take 10?

Per PHB page 65. The normal take 10 and take 20 rules apply for ability checks. I know I can't take 20 because of the risk of failure, but is having the creature pretty much completely bound enough for me to not be considered "threated or distracted" so I can take 10 and avoid the if you roll a 1 on the charisma check clause of the spell?

gogogome
2019-12-13, 03:57 AM
I have a creature successfully called via Planar Binding, I have it restrained with calling diagrams, dimensional anchor, magic circles, etc, etc.

I am making Charisma ability checks to get it to perform a service for me.

Can I take 10?

Per PHB page 65. The normal take 10 and take 20 rules apply for ability checks. I know I can't take 20 because of the risk of failure, but is having the creature pretty much completely bound enough for me to not be considered "threated or distracted" so I can take 10 and avoid the if you roll a 1 on the charisma check clause of the spell?

Yes.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?355562-quot-Can-I-Take-10-quot-Table-of-sourcebook-examples-mentions-of-taking-10

If you can take 10 for bluffing and hiding then you can take 10 for charisma checks against creatures you know that can't harm you.

Of course some DMs say negotiating is "stressful" and force you to roll so that you have to risk rolling a 1.