PDA

View Full Version : Gotta "Hand" It To Ya

Undyne
2019-12-13, 11:37 AM
I'm just curious, how many spells in D&D summon hands? The ones that first pop to mind are Bigby's Hand, Chill Touch, and Mage Hand. I'm tempted to make a character who just has a TON of hands with him at all times, using Mage Hand to hold a book, have Chill Touch up to fight someone who spooks him, use one human hand to flip pages, and another to drink his tea...

So far, the classes we have are Wizard, Warlock, and Cleric multi class for the sake of EVERY spell.

EDIT: A list of every spell mentioned here.
Chill Touch
Bigby's Hand
Mage Hand
Maximillian's Earthen Grasp
Burning Hands
Arms Of Hadar
Finger Of Death
Arcane Hand
Enhance (En-Hands) Ability
Guidance (A "Helping Hand")
Blindness/Deafness (Poke eyes or plug ears)
Spiritual Weapon (Technically)
Evard's Black Tentacles (Technically)
Phantasmal Force (Technically)
Disintigrate (Technically)
Any Summon or Mind Control spell.

Vorpalchicken
2019-12-13, 11:49 AM
Maximillian's Earthen Grasp. I think that's it for actual hand summoning. I suppose if you could get Spiritual Weapon, that could look like a hand.
Other thematic spells could be Burning Hands or Finger of Death or maybe Arms of Hadar. Maybe you could reflavour Evard's Black Tentacles as Black Fingers? "En-Hands Ability?" could be pat on the back?
Phantasmal Force could be a hand.

Undyne
2019-12-13, 11:52 AM
Maximillian's Earthen Grasp. I think that's it for actual hand summoning. I suppose if you could get Spiritual Weapon, that could look like a hand.
Other thematic spells could be Burning Hands or Finger of Death or maybe Arms of Hadar. Maybe you could reflavour Evard's Black Tentacles as Black Fingers? "En-Hands Ability?" could be pat on the back?
Phantasmal Force could be a hand.

My party shall groan every time I cast Enhance Ability. I love puns, they despise them. *Evil Laughter ensues*

Pex
2019-12-13, 01:53 PM
My party shall groan every time I cast Enhance Ability. I love puns, they despise them. *Evil Laughter ensues*

That's handy.

BloodOgre
2019-12-13, 02:02 PM
I used my mage hand to pick up a sword of dubious nature. It turns out the sword is cursed and once in hand, it cannot be let go. So now, I have a permanent mage hand strong enough to grasp and carry a sword, but not strong enough to attack with the sword. It follows me everywhere, and I cannot dispel it. Thus I cannot cast another instance of mage hand. And I'm not high enough level to learn Remove Curse, yet.

ravenkith
2019-12-13, 02:23 PM
I'm just curious, how many spells in D&D summon hands? The ones that first pop to mind are Bigby's Hand, Chill Touch, and Mage Hand. I'm tempted to make a character who just has a TON of hands with him at all times, using Mage Hand to hold a book, have Chill Touch up to fight someone who spooks him, use one human hand to flip pages, and another to drink his tea...

Pretty much anything that summons a humanoid that has hands, of course, including the warlock's find familiar or animate dead or conjure demons.....

Your magic missiles could appear as fists, for flavor purposes.....arms of hadar could become more literal...arcane hand is a thing....

burning hands of course....

anything that allows you to control other people, so you get access to their hands, like crown of madness...

Disintegrate, of course, springs forth from your finger....which of course points straight at something like finger of death....

I kind of like this idea, the characters slogan could be "Many Hands make Light Work"

nickl_2000
2019-12-13, 02:25 PM
I'm pretty sure you can call Guidance "giving someone a hand"

Anderlith
2019-12-13, 02:26 PM
You definitely need a Helping Hand Familiar in the style of Thing from the Addams Family.

Spells like True Strike or Enhance Strength could manifest as hands that help guide or reinforce the person it’s cast on. Magic Missle could be a hand that zooms off & punches the target or maybe some Three Stooges eyepokes

nickl_2000
2019-12-13, 02:30 PM
maybe some Three Stooges eyepokes

This is definitely how the Blindness part of Blindness.Deafness works.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-13, 02:37 PM
Nice try Yoshikage Kira.

micahaphone
2019-12-13, 03:06 PM
Tenser's floating disk is a big translucent open hand. "Sure, you can ride on my weightless smooth ride wagon spell. Pay no mind to the feel of it underneath you"

Pex
2019-12-13, 03:54 PM
Character background - Profession: Handyman

Undyne
2019-12-13, 04:03 PM
Nice try Yoshikage Kira.

I love that I know exactly what you're talking about.

Undyne
2019-12-13, 04:06 PM
Pretty much anything that summons a humanoid that has hands, of course, including the warlock's find familiar or animate dead or conjure demons.....

Your magic missiles could appear as fists, for flavor purposes.....arms of hadar could become more literal...arcane hand is a thing....

burning hands of course....

anything that allows you to control other people, so you get access to their hands, like crown of madness...

Disintegrate, of course, springs forth from your finger....which of course points straight at something like finger of death....

I kind of like this idea, the characters slogan could be "Many Hands make Light Work"

Everything about this is a "Yes".

Talsin
2019-12-13, 04:20 PM
Consider reflavoring projectiles as hands.

Gust of Wind? Summons a hand with a fan to waft you gently.

Crown of Stars? A bunch of glowing hands that explode on contact!

Witchbolt? (really?) a gloved hand rubbing on the floor before statically zapping an opponent!

Hold Person? Well, I think you can imagine this one...

Undyne
2019-12-13, 04:31 PM
Consider reflavoring projectiles as hands.

Gust of Wind? Summons a hand with a fan to waft you gently.

Crown of Stars? A bunch of glowing hands that explode on contact!

Witchbolt? (really?) a gloved hand rubbing on the floor before statically zapping an opponent!

Hold Person? Well, I think you can imagine this one...

A lot of people seem to have that idea- Magic Missile literally becomes "I cast Fist"

Talsin
2019-12-13, 05:20 PM
A lot of people seem to have that idea- Magic Missile literally becomes "I cast Fist"

Sure, Magic Missile even has written in to do so. However, re-imagining other things that aren't normally built that way. Catapult doesn't normally show a hand throwing something, neither would Acid Arrow be flung like a dart, but you can still repaint it that way.

Undyne
2019-12-13, 05:36 PM
Sure, Magic Missile even has written in to do so. However, re-imagining other things that aren't normally built that way. Catapult doesn't normally show a hand throwing something, neither would Acid Arrow be flung like a dart, but you can still repaint it that way.

That is very true.

Pex
2019-12-13, 06:17 PM
Bestow Curse - give someone the middle finger.

stoutstien
2019-12-13, 06:20 PM
Put gloves on your unseen servant.

AdAstra
2019-12-13, 06:25 PM
Inflict Wounds and Shocking grasp both involve putting your actual hands on someone. Primal savagery could be described as just making your hand really big and slapping someone. Finger of Death was mentioned, but not as an actual hand spell (I think?). That one could be described as a big pointing finger.

You could also True Polymorph someone into a Crawling Claw, or use Alter Self to give yourself enormous +1 magic hands

Thorn Whip, Entangle, Ensnaring Strike, and Grasping Vine could all be described as hands made of plants.

Teaguethebean
2019-12-13, 06:36 PM
Put gloves on your unseen servant.

Honestly this is perfect.

Phhase
2019-12-13, 07:40 PM
Wow. What serendipity. I JUST came from reading a real masterclass on how many hands you can create at once in 5e. Specifically for the purpose of flipping your mother-in-law off all at once. OBSERVE. (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/161208/whats-the-greatest-number-of-hands-i-can-have-to-annoy-my-mother-in-law-with)

nickl_2000
2019-12-13, 07:49 PM
May I suggest playing a high charisma character to make sure you are extra HANDsome.

Tawmis
2019-12-13, 10:25 PM
A lot of people seem to be here lending a hand...

- This message approved by Vecna.