PDA

View Full Version : Brainstormage for an Upcoming Class..

Hazkali
2007-10-20, 10:23 AM
Continuing in the vein of media-related classes that I started with the Axiomarch, I've recently found myself itching to make a Buffy flavoured base class, and wondering how I'd go about it. Obviously borrowing from the Monk is a good place to start, but where from there? Smite Evil? Turning? Lay on Hands? Favoured Enemy? So many choices!

For any detractors, yes, I know Buffy finished over four years ago, and for this I am thankful as it led to the creation of Firefly (although I'll be damned before I know which I prefer).

To the fanboys, yes, I know that "Slayer" should be an [Augmented Humanoid] template rather than a class. So sue me.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-20, 10:44 AM
Favoured enemy sounds good: I'd have her need to split it up into classes of undead and evil outsiders - so she gets a bonus on Vampires (both Vamp Spawn and True Vampires, as well as Hopping Vampires and various other "Vampire" type creatures), but not on Zombies: she needs to spend Favoured enemy slots on each type. That'd mean some work on the type, but you get the idea?

How about a "Slayer's Strike" ability:

she can score criticals on selected corporeal Undead
she adds 1d6 damage favoured enemy foes who are denied their Dex bonus to AC
she can score criticals on all corporeal Undead
adds 2d6 to damage on favored enemy foes who are denied their Dex bonus
score crits on select incorporeal Undead
etc

TheLogman
2007-10-20, 11:42 AM
Scoring Crits on Non-Corporeal stuff? I'd like to see that.

As for the Slayers, perhaps increased strength beyond what is normal for a human? For instance, a 5th level human fighter probably has 19 strength. I think that at 5th level, Buffy would have more than that. I do like the combination of Favored enemy and Sneak attacks, could work quite well. Check out the Skullclan hunter if you can, it has some of the stuff you want. Here is a Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-56795.html)that had optimization on the Hunter, but also includes some of the basics, especially the first post.
Definitely smite evil, even if only against undead, Favored Enemy and sneak attacks against undead, and immunity to the typical undead attacks (Disease, Fear, Level Drain, ect.)

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-10-20, 12:35 PM
I reckoned the Crits on Incorporeal beasties could be a top-level ability - to give this class an edge for fighting this sort of supernatural foe. I know it's a wierd idea, fluff-wise, but there's no crunchy reason why not, as long as we keep the balance. Notice that I said "selected incorporeal undead"? If you used this ability in your game it'd be about learning the necessary magic / ki power / spookiness / whatever to hurt a wraith or spectre - leaving ghosts and allips still invulnerable to crits from you.
Anyway, it was only a suggestion. :smallbiggrin:

Buffy doesn't look anything like she has 18 STR, though, does she? And she's not super-strong except for combat, as far as I remember.

Maybe they could get a WIS or even CHA bonus to certain STR checks / damage? The Slayer's strength is derived from her training and force of will...

Finerty
2007-10-20, 03:06 PM
Er... heh. In QueenFange's Vere Campaign setting, she's made a ranger refocus class called the Slayer. And I have, in fact, made a Buffyish character in her current Vere Campaign, a female Slayer (Focus:Undead).

Also, I recently made what a character with what I dubbed "The Giles Build" - Archivist/Wizard.

The characters in question, by the way, are
Videln Rijhad (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=26889)
and
Deric Peril, Dread Librarian! (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=27451)

Just food for thought.

Hazkali
2007-10-21, 05:49 AM
Thanks for your ideas!

I like the idea about being able to do critical hits on Undead, that'll definitely be somewhere in the class. I think in terms of Favoured enemy I might just rip it ad verbatim from the Ranger, but restrict the choices to Undead, Abberations, Evil Outsiders and possibly some others.

I'm a fair way into designing the class, so expect to see it up in the next few days, as Uni commitments allow.