PDA

View Full Version : Help with magic item ideas for a level 7 Arcana Cleric scholar

NiklasWB
2019-12-13, 01:30 PM
I need some help with creating some magic items for a new character in my campaign. Long story short, we had our fist character death in a long campaign. The other characters are level 6, going to be level 7 in the next 1-2 sessions.

The old character was a warlock, and his primary magic items, a +1 spear and a Cloak of displacement will be 'removed' / 'reabsorbed' by the Patron now that the player character died. One remaining item, an Elven Chain armor, will be able to be looted by the remaining party and likely taken by the party Bard.

Now, the new character will be a multiclassed Arcana Cleric / Rogue Scout. Not sure how effective the build will be since he is doing a fairly even split (3 rogue, 4 cleric), but I want to give him some starting items to keep up with the rest of the party.

Overall the other characters have 1 rare item and two uncommon items per character, so I'd like to give the now one the equivilent.

His backstory is that he is an Avowed member of Candlekeep (Forgotten Realms), a cloistered scholar, and a sort of theoretical divine spellcaster that is more of a 'scientist' of magic and studier of the Weave, as well as an archeologist and finder of rare books and lore. He worships Mystra, will mostly act as a support/buffer role, and will use some sort of finesse weapon in close range if he needs to.

So I have two extremely vague item ideas, but want to get some more inspiration.

1. Magic book (uses pages as charges to cast some interesting spells. recharges at dawn). I'm thinking Detect Magic, Identify, Comprehend Language could be a start, but I'd also like to give it some more oumph. Probably +1 to spell saves or something. This would probably be his most powerful item and should be equivalent of a rare item. I also thought that maybe he could be able to swith the damage type of some spells to force damage to simulate his studying/understanding of raw magical power (to overcome resistances)... for one or more charges of the item.

2. Some sort of melee finesse weapon. Since he really wants to have some rogue abilities he needs a finesse melee weapon of some sort. He said he doesn't want to use a rapier however, so I'm very much allowing it to be reskinned as something else. So, what could be an interesting and appropriate weapon for a scribe? Is a dagger or shortsword with a larger damage dice boring? This should probably be an uncommon item in power. It would very much be a plus if it was an item that could fit a scholar.

The player is really into wanting to roleplay a lawful good scientist and seeker of knowledge about magic.

I'd really appreciate some help with ideas and concepts.

Aidamis
2019-12-14, 02:33 AM
The melee finesse weapon part - get some sort of Moonblade with a quirk. For instance it can cast Sacred Flame once per long rest.

NiklasWB
2019-12-15, 10:01 AM
Don't think a moonblade really works for this character unfortunately. Thanks for the advice though.

Anyone else have any ideas?

MrStabby
2019-12-15, 10:20 AM
So the book could contain his research on lost incantations, part of their mission being to seek out and recover more ancient divine rituals and spells.

The book can work much like the warlocks book of ancient secrets but can, whilst attuned, provide knowledge of some extra spells. These spells should ideally be homebrew spells just a little above the power curve for their level. This small boost in power should provide a more interesting buff than +1 weapons, supports a quest/role play and provides a scalping reward as more spells are added.

Biggstick
2019-12-16, 05:59 AM
The type of character you're describing is going to get tore up at close range against anything that hits with even modicum of damage. By not having Uncanny Dodge, staying in melee will be a bad idea imo.

Being an Arcana Cleric that is level 4 means they always have Magic Weapon on their spell list. This means that you as a DM don't need to give them a magic weapon to overcome resistances; they can simply use Magic Weapon on whatever finesse weapon (likely a dagger) they're choosing to use in that moment (along with GFB/BB).

I'd recommend providing a Wand that you deem is of the appropriate power level to said PC. You could also look to provide a Staff if you'd prefer. This will emphasize that you see the character more so as a spellcaster, as well as encourage the Player to move more towards a spellcaster direction/play style, as being in melee without any AC or damage reduction capabilities will get them torn to shreds.

Other items might be the classic Bag of Holding, or some variation there of. I don't know how you manage carry capacity in your game, but a scientist/researcher who can bring along or carry all of their own gear/resources in a Bag is quite useful. It might be cliche, but there is a reason it's so valuable. If a Bag isn't what you're looking for, a Portable Hole might be just as valued.

Safety Sword
2019-12-16, 06:22 AM
As a broad concept: Glasses of arcane seeing

I think your idea of an item that allows free detect magic, identify and comprehend languages is a winner.

As Biggstick points out your scholarly or researcher type is going to need a way to transport tomes that are found along the way. Let me present:

Sage's Bookshelf

The Sage's Bookshelf allows you to access remotely stored books. You install the shelf your keep/library/cellar and remove the golden book that occupies the shelf upon creation. The golden book can be opened only 3 times per day for 1 minute each time. When you do so you can access books on the shelf by reading their names aloud. Books named in this way appear at your side instantly.

Whilst you have the golden book open, any other book you touch is magically transported to the shelf. The bookshelf can hold 101 books at any time. If you overfill the bookshelf there is a 50% chance that any named book does not appear.

All books on the bookshelf are immune to fire and water damage and also do not age.