PDA

View Full Version : Persona 5e

ShutUpImEvil
2019-12-13, 05:34 PM
I'm really into the Persona series. I want to play a character based on the concept, anyone know any builds or homebrews that would make this work?

micahaphone
2019-12-13, 05:40 PM
I don't personally know too much about that series, but some options are: the UA astral soul monk (your persona would be the astral arms extending from behind/within you), UA wildfire druid (your flame buddy is of course your persona), UA beastmaster ranger with the new special aspect beasts from the most recent UA,

or non-UA,

Most Barbarian subclasses could be played with some sort of strange physical transformation or possession. I'm in a party with an Ancestral Guardian barb whose hair goes white and stands up like Goku when raging, as a spirit possesses him.

Most sorcerers could have a similar flavor, of a persona that guards you and acts on your behalf. *You're* not casting the spells, your buddy who follows your orders casts the spells. Not that everyone can see your buddy.

Undyne
2019-12-13, 05:42 PM
I'm really into the Persona series. I want to play a character based on the concept, anyone know any builds or homebrews that would make this work?

In game, Barbarian Ancestral Guardian could work, maybe Sun Soul Monk if your DM lets you have your persona shoot sunbeams.

In UA there is the Astral Self for Monk

A Youtuber named Don't Stop Thinking has a class called The Channeler

jaappleton
2019-12-13, 05:57 PM
Astral Soul would be the best here for what you’re looking for, Akihiko.

Man_Over_Game
2019-12-13, 06:08 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Persona series, it revolves around relatively mundane people being able to summon a manifestation of their...soul, or something. Your Persona is generally how you do most of your combat, although your physical body is generally pretty frail in comparison.

In some games, the hero fights and the Persona is something that modifies your stats and is summoned for special attacks.
In other games, the Persona fights and the hero is something that is relevant outside of combat.
And in a few others, both are true, with the Persona being the preferred method of fighting and the hero being relatively frail.

While the Persona is a manifestation of your soul, both the hero and the Persona can move independently (although they rarely work on different tasks). You don't turn into your Persona, you summon it and it fights for you.

There isn't really anything that would resemble something like this. The Summoner Class from Pathfinder would suit well, or the Shaman class from 4E, but there's a distinct lack of big, singular summons in 5e that would fit in this role.

The next best solution, outside of a summon, would be a transformation. Barbarian Rage could be an example, if a bit abstract.

Spriteless
2019-12-13, 07:05 PM
Grod's Guide to Greatness has summoners, but I haven't actually perused it.

Aidamis
2019-12-13, 10:14 PM

That's a great idea! depending on the chosen setting you'll likely run high school students which means low stats in the real-life part (though can be increased with specific character concepts, IE a basketball club captain would be faster and more agile than average and a 180 IQ genius would have high INT and computer skill proficiency) and "character classes" in the 13th Hour part. Summoning would be a great deal, but I think or the creatures you can just adapt a lot of pre existing rules. For instance you can repurpose Bless and Healing Word to name a few. But keep in mind that for the magic part you'd have to choose between spell slots, an MP system or a mix of the few, and your magic will very likely be online in the real world (but feats such as Mobile would probably "stick", as in basketball club captain + Mobile). Lots of potential here.

You might also want to "steal" some rules from Vampire the Masquerade and Cthulhu.

Have a good day!