PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer / Simulacrum?

schreier
2019-12-13, 09:01 PM
Watching the mandolorian made me want to have a ship in D&D. Which led me to spelljammer. I read the spelljammer "rules" attached to Dungeon 92, but didn't really understand what it did to a spellcaster linked to it. From what I can tell, a spellcaster links to the helm, then can fly the ship. I did not see anything about expending spell slots ... I just saw you couln't cast spells while driving (and saw one reference prohibiting spellcasting for 24 hours). Am I missing something?

Regardless of the "cost" - if you had a simulacrim spell available, could you use one to pilot a ship?

Tvtyrant
2019-12-13, 09:08 PM
Watching the mandolorian made me want to have a ship in D&D. Which led me to spelljammer. I read the spelljammer "rules" attached to Dungeon 92, but didn't really understand what it did to a spellcaster linked to it. From what I can tell, a spellcaster links to the helm, then can fly the ship. I did not see anything about expending spell slots ... I just saw you couln't cast spells while driving (and saw one reference prohibiting spellcasting for 24 hours). Am I missing something?

Regardless of the "cost" - if you had a simulacrim spell available, could you use one to pilot a ship?

How fast they fly the ship and how big it can be is dependent on how high your highest spell slot is. Unless you use a lifejammer (vampires lifeforce) or a psionic helm like the mindflayers use.

Or dwarves who power their ships by mining and making items. Or magic item/artifact powered helms. There is a pretty wide variety.

schreier
2019-12-13, 09:35 PM
How fast they fly the ship and how big it can be is dependent on how high your highest spell slot is. Unless you use a lifejammer (vampires lifeforce) or a psionic helm like the mindflayers use.

Or dwarves who power their ships by mining and making items. Or magic item/artifact powered helms. There is a pretty wide variety.

I saw the artifact online, which looked limitless?

redking
2019-12-15, 06:01 AM

Yes - provided the simulacrum meets all the other requirements for piloting a spelljammer. Using a simulacrum as a spelljammer pilot is an excellent use of simulacrum.

schreier
2019-12-15, 10:59 PM
Reading 2nd edition Spelljammer compared to the 3rd edition Polyhedron rules has some differences. In 2nd edition, speed seems variable based on highest spell level available, but in the 3rd edition rules, the speed seems constant based on the helm and the size?

The 3rd edition never mentioned the cost - the 24 hours (until rest) for spellcasters from what I can find.

Is there something about the 3rd edition rules I'm missing?

Also - is the viper the only really good 1 minimum crew ships?

Tvtyrant
2019-12-16, 12:10 AM
Reading 2nd edition Spelljammer compared to the 3rd edition Polyhedron rules has some differences. In 2nd edition, speed seems variable based on highest spell level available, but in the 3rd edition rules, the speed seems constant based on the helm and the size?

The 3rd edition never mentioned the cost - the 24 hours (until rest) for spellcasters from what I can find.

Is there something about the 3rd edition rules I'm missing?

Also - is the viper the only really good 1 minimum crew ships?
There is also the Batship. It is unique but makes you into a living ship-monster.

schreier
2019-12-16, 06:05 AM
Aren't you cursed/stuck in it though?

As far a weapons - the hummingbird has an interesting magic missile nose ... I was contemplating replacing ballista with arcane ballista from the forge of war? Any other "auto weapons' that are good? Any canon way to get them with unlimited ammo (like Hank's bow maybe?)

DrMotives
2019-12-17, 06:22 PM
Aren't you cursed/stuck in it though?

As far a weapons - the hummingbird has an interesting magic missile nose ... I was contemplating replacing ballista with arcane ballista from the forge of war? Any other "auto weapons' that are good? Any canon way to get them with unlimited ammo (like Hank's bow maybe?)

Any method that allows infinite ammo on a normal bow/crossbow/sling should work on siege weapons, as they work on the same general principles as personal projectile weapons when it comes to enchanting them. I can't really think of any, but I'm sure there's some somewhere. Another thing that may fly is using the resetting magical trap rules to make a "minor creation" trap. That is limited to non-living vegetable matter, so it would make an all-wooden ballista bolt, basically a big stake. Major creation would allow more traditional catapult stones & metal-headed bolts.

schreier
2019-12-17, 08:46 PM
I figured on the items - I guess "Hank's bow" enchantment was never clearly defined as a general power (it is a unique item) -- so that is clearly DM decision.

For Spelljammer questions in general -- I have seen the 3e project on spelljammer.org, which is "official" and the polyhedron article. The article seems like a completely different ruleset, with simplified helms (maneuverability like flying, fixed spell, no "cost" to piloting) ... what do most people that play spelljammer do? Some combination?