PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How much food is needed in the Underdark?

Aidamis
2019-12-13, 10:08 PM
Hello!

I'm taking part in a campaign where having Goodberry can go a long way into saving lives.

My GM just OKed the spell though they stated that "it only feeds five people" while the spell description reads "up to ten berries" "one's enough to sustain a creature for a single day". Does one need extra food in the Underdark or does it sound like a houserule? I will talk to them directly before the next session, but I would appreciate an external opinion.
Also, outta curiosity - if I played in a party with two Pixies and a Half-Giant and you were my DM, would you still run Goodberry as written or can it be argued that the Pixies can share a berry while the Half-Giant would need two?

Thank you.

Dork_Forge
2019-12-13, 10:20 PM
It sounds like a houserule, Good Berry is a very useful spell in survival situations and your DM may be trying to mitigate its usefulness.

As for the pixie half giant question, sure the berries consumed balances out to the same as 1 each, it's more a thematic choice than a mechanical one.

Tawmis
2019-12-13, 10:21 PM
Oh, I came in here thinking - like how many Adventurers does a Mindflayer need to eat for those who dare the Underdark. :smalltongue:

KillingTime
2019-12-13, 10:25 PM
That's a house rule, but a reasonable one as Goodberry is very powerful for a lvl1 slot, and can really make life difficult for a DM in a campaign where resource scarcity is meant to be a thing.

Any character who has a decent Survival score should be able to help forage without too much fuss, however.
There are edible fungi and and other wildlife that can supplement the rations.

Of course stealing from NPCs should be your preferred method of finding food... 😉

Aidamis
2019-12-14, 12:39 AM
It sounds like a houserule, Good Berry is a very useful spell in survival situations and your DM may be trying to mitigate its usefulness.

As for the pixie half giant question, sure the berries consumed balances out to the same as 1 each, it's more a thematic choice than a mechanical one.

Thank you for your reply. I've talked to the DM and this is indeed a houserule, and one which I shall not oppose since it adds spice into our campaign and besides I was in for the emergency healing potions aspect anyway. Five is plenty.

Aidamis
2019-12-14, 12:41 AM
That's a house rule, but a reasonable one as Goodberry is very powerful for a lvl1 slot, and can really make life difficult for a DM in a campaign where resource scarcity is meant to be a thing.

Any character who has a decent Survival score should be able to help forage without too much fuss, however.
There are edible fungi and and other wildlife that can supplement the rations.

Of course stealing from NPCs should be your preferred method of finding food... 😉

Thanks for the reply. Turned out it's a houserule and I'll have five berries to play around with.

Stealing sounds like a fun idea but it would run opposite to the character's philosophy (yup, playing a "no man left behind" Marine)

Anderlith
2019-12-14, 01:47 AM
If you play lizardfolk you’ll never go hungry...

Aidamis
2019-12-14, 02:04 AM
If you play lizardfolk you’ll never go hungry...

I'll look into the race, thank you

Arkhios
2019-12-14, 04:07 AM
Definitely a houserule.

Besides, I believe Underdark is meant to be just as rich in wildlife as the surface world. They are just different and strange for the surface dwellers.

It stands against reason (to me) that it would be any more difficult to survive down there, because there are entire species and societies that live their whole lives in the Underdark.