PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Apocalypse: The RPG

kjones
2007-10-20, 12:29 PM
I recently picked up D20 Modern, and am awash in ideas for campaigns to run in that system. There's a lot I like about it, and this thread isn't meant to knock on D20 Modern, or the d20 system in general - I'm just trying to figure some things out.

I'm a big fan of zombie things in general - the first few Romero movies, Max Brooks' books, the 28 * Later series, the Walking Dead comic books - and I'd like to run a zombie apocalypse style RPG. However, after some consideration, I'm not sure that the d20 system is the best option for this type of game.

For example, in the archetypical movie zombie scenario, the zombies are a shambling horde of mindless undead intent on eating flesh/brains that can only be "killed" by cutting off their head or destroying their brain. Getting bitten generally turns one into a zombie after some period of infection.

But how to model this with d20? The system lacks locational damage; a hit is a hit, and I don't want that. There are optional rules for called shots; are those good enough? D&D has them resistant to non-slashing damage; I don't want that either. In the movies, a zombie can usually be destroyed with a single head shot, but any other injury is ineffective. How do I model this?

Other issues abound, and I'm sort of at a loss. Is there a system specifically created for this sort of game? I've heard of All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but I'm pretty sure it's out of print. Are there any others?

How would you run a Zombie Apocalypse RPG?

EDIT: After reading this over, it might be more at home in the Homebrew category; if so, sorry. :smallredface:

Clementx
2007-10-20, 12:33 PM
nWod takes one book, makes for simple dice rolling, terrifyingly squishy characters, and pretty much whatever creatures you want can be designed in under a half an hour (less if you swipe mechinics from the monster lines or supplements). Good times.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-20, 12:50 PM
I'd probably use the All Flesh Must Be Eaten game.

Attilargh
2007-10-20, 01:00 PM
I'd pick up the World of Darkness Core Rulebook and nab the Zack from WoD: Antagonists. WoD: Armory has some nifty gear and rules for improvised weapons, so it might be worth looking into as well.