PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite homebrew Gnoll races?

AdAstra
2019-12-14, 10:13 PM
Itching to make a new character, and while other races would work fine for the concept, Gnoll in particular feels like a perfect fit. Of course, WOTC has seen fit to be weird about Gnolls, so what is the best homebrew you've seen for them? Please share below if you've found something you think is good.

I'm looking for balance first and foremost, as I tend to optimize and want to avoid abusing anything too badly. Theme and fun remains very important, though.

Seekergeek
2019-12-14, 10:56 PM
Our table has used both the half orc stats and the lizard folk stats at various times. Refluffing should be just fine if you truly want to play a gnoll and not an optimized stat block.

SociopathFriend
2019-12-14, 11:06 PM
I mean my favorite in terms of trying to not be unbalanced I would say is mine.

+2 Str
+1 Dex

Speed: 30 feet
Darkvision: 60 feet
Languages: Gnoll, Common
Skill: Athletics proficiency

Rampage
When the Gnoll reduces a creature to 0 hit points with a melee attack on its turn, the Gnoll can take a bonus action to move up to half its speed and make a bite attack.

Bite
5 feet reach, Melee attack against one creature, 1d4 piercing damage

It's actually a bit weaker than some PC races given it's more or less just the Gnoll statblock so I certainly don't think people could argue it's too strong.
If you want to add some... flavor in then I like to add something related to their frenzied hunger nature.

Consume
When attacking an incapacitated opponent that possesses flesh and blood the Gnoll may replace a melee attack with instead an attempt to feed. Roll to hit as with a bite attack and if hit deal the damage and the Gnoll gains temporary hitpoints equal to half its level rounded down to a minimum of 1 temporary hit point. The total number of temporary hit points gained in this way can not exceed the Gnoll's total level.

^I personally do not think adding Consume makes it broken however I've not the best head for these sorts of things and I'm sure the wording leaves something to be desired.

RedMage125
2019-12-17, 10:05 AM
Had someone share this with me a few months back:

https://imgur.com/a/5wl1124

Jophiel
2019-12-17, 10:23 AM
Had someone share this with me a few months back:

https://imgur.com/a/5wl1124
For the record, that's from the Ultimate Bestiary: Revenge of the Horde by Nord Games.

MagneticKitty
2019-12-17, 12:15 PM
Kobold press has one on a document called like southland heroes or something. Has 2 subraces (they make some semi official material like the planeshift: series)