PDA

View Full Version : Now You're Thinking With Portals. [Equipment]

ZebulonCrispi
2007-10-20, 01:07 PM
Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device
You are now in possession of the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device. With it, you can create your own portals. These inter-dimensional gates have proven to be completely safe. The device, however, has not. Do not touch the operational end of the device. Do not look directly at the operational end of the device. Do not submerge the device in liquid, even partially. Most importantly, under no circumstances should you <<TRANSMISSION INTERRUPTED>>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/professorscissors/bscap0018.jpg

Purchase DC: 60 (The device is more valuable than the organs and combined incomes of everyone in <<SUBJECT HOMETOWN HERE>>.)
Weight: 5 lbs

As a standard action, anyone wielding the Portal Device can project either a blue or an orange portal onto any surface in line of sight within 100’ of them. Projecting a portal destroys any pre-existing portal of the same color created by this Portal Device.

The portals act as per the Ring Gate artifact, except they are about 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide - large enough to admit a Medium-sized creature with ease. Whatever goes in the blue portal comes out the orange portal, and vice versa. Travel is instantaneous - it's as if there was no space separating the two portals. Anything, including creatures, weapon fire, line-of-sight abilities, and FX abilities, can cross through the portals. The portals cannot be isolated from the surface they are attatched to - if the surface breaks, the portal is destroyed. The wielder of the Portal Device can dismiss any existing portals as a standard action.

There is a limit to which surfaces a portal can be attatched to. If the surface is uneven, made of metal, or smaller than the portal, the projected portal will fizzle upon contact with the surface.

Flinging
Momentum, A function of mass and velocity, is conserved between portals. In layman's terms: Speedy-thing goes in, Speedy-thing comes out.

Flinging is an advanced technique usable with the Portal Device. If one falls into a portal on the ground and exits from a portal on a wall, then their momentum flings them forwards a distance equal to the distance they fell before entering the portal. When falling, it is possible to create a portal on the ground where you are going to land before you reach it, but this requires a Reflex save (DC 15).

Aperture Science Artificial Leg Joint Enhancement
Purchase DC: 40
Early tests of the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device revealed that patients had a tendency to fall great distances, frequently to their dismay and/or death. To combat this design flaw, Aperture Science has invented a modified leg brace that runs between the ankle and knee, which absorbs 99% of the force of impact upon falling. So long as they land on their feet, any person equipped with an Aperture Science Artificial Leg Joing Enhancement takes no falling damage, regardless of the distance fallen.

TheLogman
2007-10-20, 01:31 PM
I created one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59740), albeit mine is an artifact, and has a few weaknesses.

Magnor Criol
2007-10-20, 03:17 PM
I haven't gotten to play Portal, so I don't know quite how this works; what's the connection between the blue and orange portals? I'm assuming that the blue connects with the orange, as suggested by the pic up at the top of the post; this means each portal gun only makes one 'tunnel' of sorts. This isn't clearly stated, however, and it needs to be.

Also, are these two-way portals, or is one color an entrance and the other is an exit?

Lastly, is the travel instantaneous? As in, if someone jumps through a portal, do they come out the other side in that instant or is there a moment where they're in whatever dimensional space the portal's heading through? Because if it's not instantaneous, there needs to be some rules thrown down for what happens if the portal you're traveling through gets taken down whilst you're in it.

Other than those things - all of which I probably would've known if I'd played Portal - this looks great. Nicely worded.

boomwolf
2007-10-20, 04:09 PM
too much portal homebrew.
cut it out guys.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-10-20, 06:25 PM
I wasn't aware that the Portal Device was such a popular homebrewing item! Anyways, I've tweaked the wording somewhat to reflect Magnor's questions. At some point I'll probably put up some other tidbits, like the turrets.

Skelengar
2007-10-21, 01:02 PM
If at first you do not succeed... you fail, and the test will be terminated.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-10-21, 02:31 PM
Aperture Science Machine Gun Turret
Due to mandatory scheduled maintanence, the appropriate chamber for this testing sequence is currently unavailable. It has been replaced with a live-fire course designed for military androids. The Enrichment Center apologizes for the inconvenience, and wishes you the best of luck.
Small Construct
Hit Dice: 1d10+10 (15 hp)
Speed: 0 ft.
Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-9
Attack: --
Full Attack: --
Special Attacks: Machine Gun
Special Qualities: Immobile
Saves: Fort +0, Ref --, Will -1
Abilities: Str 0, Dex 16, Con 0, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Spot +3, Search +4
Feats: Point Blank Shot
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or group (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral

Behavior
The Aperture Science Machine Gun Turret will only see targets within a 90 degree arc centered around the direction it’s facing. If it sees anyone on its turn, it will attack them with its machine gun. If it doesn’t see anyone, it will ready an action to fire upon the first target to walk through its field of vision.

If it sees someone, but fails to kill them before they can get out of sight, it will make a Search check the next round, examining all space in a 120 degree arc in front of it to see if it can figure out where the target went. If it finds them, it will open fire as normal. If it fails to find the target, it will ready an action to attack anyone who it sees as per usual.

If the turret is knocked over, it will panic, firing widly. Anyone within a 60 degree arc of the front of the turret who is within 30’ of it must make a Reflex save (DC 15) or take full machine gun damage. After this, it wil dejectedly shut itself down.

Machine Gun
The Turret can fire its machine gun regardless of the fact that it has 0 Str. It attacks with +4 to hit, and does 2d8+1 damage.

Immobile
The Aperture Science Machine Gun Turret cannot move. It is denied its dexterity bonus to AC, and automatically fails any reflex save.