PDA

View Full Version : Bard/Sorcerer Multiclass Spells Help

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-15, 09:28 AM
Hey Playground!

I need some help parsing a rule with what bard spells I can take after multiclassing into bard. So let's say I've got a 10th level sorcerer with their whopping 11 spells known. And next level I take a level in bard. So now I have 4 bard spells, all of level 1, without crimping my spell progression.

Now comes the fun part. When I take my second level in bard, I can take an additional marginal spell known: "Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots." But I'll have spell slots up to 6th level, so can I use this marginal spell known to get a 6th level spell? Furthermore, can I retrain one of my initial 4 bard spells known into a higher level spell slot?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-12-15, 09:59 AM
Disclaimer, I want to see if I understand.

I believe you just take whatever Bard spells a 2nd level Bard can take but you MAY be able to cast them with any slot your total character level can have in that chart in the multi class section.

Strongly consider Dissonant Whispers and Healing Word btw.

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-15, 10:01 AM
I believe you just take whatever Bard spells a 2nd level Bard can take but you MAY be able to cast them with any slot your total character level can have in that chart in the multi class section.

That's the crux of my query, right? Like, you would think that would be the case, but if I instead have slots up to 6th, can't I take a 6th level spell, since I have the slots for it? After all, if you're multiclassing, you don't have spell slots by class, you have your total spell slots.

diplomancer
2019-12-15, 10:19 AM
Hey Playground!

I need some help parsing a rule with what bard spells I can take after multiclassing into bard. So let's say I've got a 10th level sorcerer with their whopping 11 spells known. And next level I take a level in bard. So now I have 4 bard spells, all of level 1, without crimping my spell progression.

Now comes the fun part. When I take my second level in bard, I can take an additional marginal spell known: "Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots." But I'll have spell slots up to 6th level, so can I use this marginal spell known to get a 6th level spell? Furthermore, can I retrain one of my initial 4 bard spells known into a higher level spell slot?

No. Check the spellcasting multi-class rules (page 164 of the PHB). They overrule the spellcasting rules of the separatr classes.

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-15, 10:33 AM
No. Check the spellcasting multi-class rules (page 164 of the PHB). They overrule the spellcasting rules of the separatr classes.

So I checked that, and that's what led to this question. It states, "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class." OK, totally fair. It also states "You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels [sic]. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table." OK, I get that piece. Under this guidance, the character I'm asking about would be 12th level and have spell slots up to 6th level.

Under the Bard rules, p 53, "Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher," it states in the second paragraph "The Spells Known column of the Bard table shows when you learn more bard spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots." (emphasis mine)

Hence my asking the Interwebs for clarification. I might just be being obtuse, and I'm not trying to start crap, but I seriously just want to know if anyone's done this before.

diplomancer
2019-12-15, 10:38 AM
So I checked that, and that's what led to this question. It states, "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class." OK, totally fair. It also states "You determine your available spell slots by adding together all your levels [sic]. Use this total to determine your spell slots by consulting the Multiclass Spellcaster table." OK, I get that piece. Under this guidance, the character I'm asking about would be 12th level and have spell slots up to 6th level.

Under the Bard rules, p 53, "Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher," it states in the second paragraph "The Spells Known column of the Bard table shows when you learn more bard spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots." (emphasis mine)

Hence my asking the Interwebs for clarification. I might just be being obtuse, and I'm not trying to start crap, but I seriously just want to know if anyone's done this before.

So, "You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."
A 2nd level Bard does not know 6th level Bard spells. The Bard spells you can know are the ones you could know if you were a 2nd level Bard (because that's what you are).

Sparky McDibben
2019-12-15, 10:41 AM
The Bard spells you can know are the ones you could know if you were a 2nd level Bard (because that's what you are).

Excellent, thanks for setting me straight!