PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Need suggestions for an ooze themed city

Heavenblade
2019-12-15, 02:02 PM
So Im starting soon a solo campagin, taking place in a city built by mages-alchemists on top of a portal to the planar realm of jubilex.

So, my main idea was that the city has tons of districts and npcs, each one utilizing the primordial ooze to their own devices, creating interesting locations based on the special abilities of the oozes

Problem is, I find myself lacking ideas. So, I'd be glad if anyone could help me find ideas (mechanics and fluff wise) for cool places/npcs that use the different types of oozes presented in the pathfinder 1e game.

Thanks a lot!

PraxisVetli
2019-12-15, 02:06 PM
I don't know if Pathfinder does, but 3.5 has Living Spells that are basically oozes that do spells on impact.

the_david
2019-12-15, 04:07 PM
Try searching for ooze. (https://aonprd.com/Search.aspx)

Alexvrahr
2019-12-15, 07:36 PM
Oozes aren't naturally terribly interesting. It's the ways others might use them that could make them interesting.

So, you've got things which make a lot of strong acid. With a bit of chemistry you can make, say, hydrogen gas from that. Perhaps there's a district with floating bazaars, little airships etc. All highly flammable of course.

There's no explicit example but oozes are basically microorganisms writ large. Which means you should be able to make booze using them. Possibly other entertaining chemicals, but ethanol for sure. Party district.

Oozemorph shifters can live among oozes in ways that'd be fatal for normal people.

There's at least one ooze which generates heat. This might be used (carefully) in a forge.

Sapphire oozes partner with people happily as armor. Perhaps there's a city watch which uses them.

And then I'm stumped. Oozes are very simple creatures.

stack
2019-12-15, 09:22 PM
Drains/pipes for oozes moving around in ways that solid creatures of their size can't. Could even pressurize them to shoot oozes around the city. Why? Why not?!

Make a messenger ooze maybe?

Alexvrahr
2019-12-15, 09:51 PM
One more thought. People need to eat, and in your ooze-themed city that probably means a lot of oozes on the table. To avoid having to enter the pantry with a blazing torch in hand the oozes will need to be thoroughly killed. Possible ways of doing this might include

Cooking Simple but if they're not well-done they may come back to life.
Freezing It takes a bit of magic, but on the other hand even if water gets in you won't have dangerous oozes spawning in your larder.
Salting and Drying Cheap, simple, the disadvantage is that they might be able to be used as improvised weapons (chakrams?) if you're careful and might come back to life if the preparer was not.

Of course there will be some other food. I can imagine the demons slipping thru the portal are great ones for conspiracy theories and might spread stuff like "too much ooze food and you end up like those mindless folk in the Drips" to promote their genuine no-kidding beef steaks.

Particle_Man
2019-12-16, 05:14 PM
Half-Dragon template can be applied to oozes. Just saying. :smallcool: