PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for [very]low-magic healing

XiaoTie
2007-10-20, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering what would be a good solution for some sort of faster healing rules to use during a campaign I'm DM'ing.

Here is the deal: the campaign is set on a homebrew setting that has little to no magic at all (the set does have potions of healing bred through alchemical ways), so there are no clerics, druids nor paladins. Paladins are sort of a prestige class accessed only through some organizations ingame, and even so they are the nonspellcasting variant from the Complete Warrior, the ranger is also used as its Complete Warrior variant.

So, thats pretty much it. I would glad to hear your advices on how to make potions a bit more powerful (but not too powerful), and how to make normal healing happen a bit faster.

Thanks

Arbitrarity
2007-10-20, 02:05 PM
I highly recommend the Vitality and Wound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) system for this. It makes characters tougher at low levels, still vulnerable at higher levels, and increases regeneration of "normal" damage to 1/character level/hour. A day's rest will fix normal injuries, but heavy combat could leave a party bedridden for at least a few days at lower levels.

Might I recommend, for empowering potions, making potions of Lesser vigour? They heal more, and take a significantly longer time, making them seem much more alchemical in nature. 1 hp/round, for 11 rounds.

Lord Zentei
2007-10-20, 02:06 PM
Normal healing is still pretty potent compared with the real world, particularly with the Long Term Care application of the Healing skill.

Regardless, you could possibly:
Allow Healing as a class skill for most if not all classes.
Allow the hit points recovered from Long Term Care be tripled rather than doubled on a DC:20
Potions can provide +1 hit point per level of the recipient as though from a full nights rest in addition to the Xd8 hp normally recovered.

I highly recommend the Vitality and Wound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/vitalityAndWoundPoints.htm) system for this. It makes characters tougher at low levels, still vulnerable at higher levels, and increases regeneration of "normal" damage to 1/character level/hour. A day's rest will fix normal injuries, but heavy combat could leave a party bedridden for at least a few days at lower levels.

Vitality and Wounds is pretty good; though it can easily be a game spoiler to suffer a powerful Critical Hit. Another option is the modified Star Wars system that has wound categories with gradually accumulating penalties to all rolls as the character becomes damaged.

XiaoTie
2007-10-20, 02:23 PM
Whoa, thanks a lot for the quick reply guys :biggrin:

I liked all the ideas, really did. I have a couple doubts tho:

- I read the Vitality and Wound system. My doubt about them is, do they basically double the hitdies ? That would be cool, I mean, I would get to use the normal HP system and still have one less thing to worry about healing AND not having to worry about those gigantic crits:smallbiggrin:
- I couldn't find the Lesser vigour spell :smalleek:. Where can I find it ?
- Loved the three possibilities described by Lord Zentei, no doubts on those :smalltongue:

Maroon
2007-10-20, 02:37 PM
- I read the Vitality and Wound system. My doubt about them is, do they basically double the hitdies ? That would be cool, I mean, I would get to use the normal HP system and still have one less thing to worry about healing AND not having to worry about those gigantic crits:smallbiggrin: Not really. You basically have two sets of HP, Vitality and Wound points. Damage is first done to Vitality points, after these are gone the damage goes to Wound points, except in the case of a sneak attack or critical hit, in which case the damage goes directly to Wound points. Your Vitality points are sort of equal to regular HP, your Wounds points equal to your constitution score. Vitality points are healed easier, Wounds points harder.

I'd also look at the other variants on that site, if I were you.

MeklorIlavator
2007-10-20, 02:44 PM
- I couldn't find the Lesser vigour spell :smalleek:. Where can I find it ?

It's in the complete divine(i believe. Maybe in the PHB2), and effectively gives the PC's limited fast healing, like fast healing 1 for 10 rounds or something(the actual durations are unknown to me).

XiaoTie
2007-10-20, 02:56 PM
Not really. You basically have two sets of HP, Vitality and Wound points. Damage is first done to Vitality points, after these are gone the damage goes to Wound points, except in the case of a sneak attack or critical hit, in which case the damage goes directly to Wound points. Your Vitality points are sort of equal to regular HP, your Wounds points equal to your constitution score. Vitality points are healed easier, Wounds points harder.

I'd also look at the other variants on that site, if I were you.

Thanks for the tip. I looked over the other variants there and liked the Reserve Points variant (that is kinda like I thought that Vitality and Wound was). I think I'll be using it on the game.

It's in the complete divine(i believe. Maybe in the PHB2), and effectively gives the PC's limited fast healing, like fast healing 1 for 10 rounds or something(the actual durations are unknown to me).

Ah damn, didn't find it on the PHB2, and I only have the Complete Scoundrel and Warrior as far as the Complete Series go. But thanks for the help. I think that I'll also use potions of Lesse vigour as Arbitrary described them, probably around CMW Potion's price.

Arbitrarity
2007-10-20, 03:38 PM
Really, it's a first level spell, but depending on how magic and gold works, pricing can go as you will. I'm not sure where the darned things are either :smallyuk:

Machete
2007-10-20, 03:52 PM
The Healing Hands skill trick from Complete Scoundrel will help.

Some herbology homebrewed stuff to convert lethal damage to nonlethal, have a 1-in-10 chance at curing status ailments, giving extra saving throws against disease and poison with -5 penalties on them, suppressing status ailments for their duration, stopping bleeding (styptic properties) and giving a +X bonus to stabilizing dying characters, and ect. (maybe with some side effects) could help. Mix and match these properties for flavor and make things with bigger effects have backlash (drink lots of coffee for energy +1 Initiative for 2 hours, drink too much in a 24 hour period (too many doses) and take a cumulative -1 or -2 Penalty to Dexterity or maybe just Dexterity based skills. You get the idea.)

Make anything you don't used like candy into a tea. Make them take time to boil the water and brew the tea and don't let the tea be good for more than 15 minutes before its medicinal benefits are lost if not consumed.

there is lots of good stuff like that out on the net and homebrew right here at GitP.

XiaoTie
2007-10-20, 03:55 PM
The Healing Hands skill trick from Complete Scoundrel will help.

Some herbology homebrewed stuff to convert lethal damage to nonlethal, have a 1-in-10 chance at curing status ailments, giving extra saving throws against disease and poison with -5 penalties on them, suppressing status ailments for their duration, stopping bleeding (styptic properties) and giving a +X bonus to stabilizing dying characters, and ect. (maybe with some side effects) could help. Mix and match these properties for flavor and make things with bigger effects have backlash (drink lots of coffee for energy +1 Initiative for 2 hours, drink too much in a 24 hour period (too many doses) and take a cumulative -1 or -2 Penalty to Dexterity or maybe just Dexterity based skills. You get the idea.)

Make anything you don't used like candy into a tea. Make them take time to boil the water and brew the tea and don't let the tea be good for more than 15 minutes before its medicinal benefits are lost if not consumed.

there is lots of good stuff like that out on the net and homebrew right here at GitP.

I have an old D20 book that deals with alchemy and herbology that I'll be using further in the campaign. Thanks for the tips :elan:

I think I'm going to put its price a little beneath CMW's price since it always heals 11, while CMW will heal 2d8 + 1 per CON mod, which can heal over 11 on an medium roll if the character has +2 CON mod. On top of that, I'll use the Reserve Point (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/reservePoints.htm) and Lord Zentei's ideas on the Heal skill.

Sounds good ?