PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Pact: Gehenna

Falcon X
2019-12-16, 11:52 AM
I made a pact for Warlocks who draw power from the plane of Gehenna (Yugoloth territory) for one of my players.

Note: This presumes the lore that the Fiend Warlock’s Power comes from the plane, with the fiend only being a conduit of sorts. Brimstone Angels was pretty clear on this, and maybe other sources.

Seem balanced? Anything I’m missing?

Level 1: Awakened Mind from Great Old One. Level 6: Radiant Soul From Celestial (but with resistance to fire, and boosts fire and necrotic damage).
Level 10: Beguiling Defences from Archfey
Level 14: Queen’s Right Hand from Raven Queen
Expanded Spells:
1st: Earth Tremor, Cause Fear
2nd: Alter Self, Maximillian’s Earthen Grasp
3rd: Fireball, Sending
4th: Greater Invisibility, Wall of Fire
5th: Far Step, Negative Energy Flood

My reasoning is are largely based on old Planescape books that state:
- Fire, Earth, Necromancy, and Evocation are enhanced in Gehenna.
- Enchantment does almost nothing
- It is home to liars. Including yugoloths, trickster gods, and mimics.
- Far Step, Sending, Invisibility, Alter Self, and telepathy seem well flavored to the network of agents yugoloths and the mimic god might employ.

Joe the Rat
2019-12-16, 12:43 PM
Accursed Specter (Hex) and Fiendish Resilience (Fiend) would be another way to take it. It's an injection of Necromancy, and an option to resist anything you need.

Though honestly, there's little about Fiend that doesn't work for any of the lower denizens.

Falcon X
2019-12-16, 01:12 PM
True that. Fiend was built broadly and built well, with the only major bias being “Hurl Through Hell” saying Hell in its flavor text.

I was originally going to do Fiendish Resiliance, until I noticed it overlaps a bit with the Celestial resistance it gets at Lvl 6.

I’ll take a second look at Accursed Spectre. Though, I remember it not really “feeling” like something core to Gehenna. Could be wrong.

I’m doing this for a reason though. It’s complicated, but long story short: The character currently draws from the 9 Hells with no pact needed. Someone from Gehenna is going to offer a pact, and the character needs a reason to take on a second source of power.
If he does, he will basically choose each day which plane he draws from.
It’s screwy, but works with the plot we have going.

Thus, I need a separate build for Gehenna from the 9 Hells.

Thanks for the thoughts!

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-12-16, 01:44 PM
It seems logical. On the too far end death works differently for Yugoloths. You COULD include that but denying the power of resurrection spells is a big deal.

Falcon X
2019-12-17, 10:36 AM
It seems logical. On the too far end death works differently for Yugoloths. You COULD include that but denying the power of resurrection spells is a big deal.
Very nice to note. That’s the kind of info that will come in handy to remember.

However, for the purposes of MY game, I won’t build that into this, as the goal is to draw from the plane as a whole, not specifically a yugoloth. (Actually, it’s through an arch-mimic of sorts who is an agent of Nimicry, AKA “That’s no moon.”

Falcon X
2019-12-17, 10:40 AM
Do you have a source on the unique death of Yugoloths? I think it might end up being VERY important for me in the future.