PDA

View Full Version : What Kind Of Demon Is Krampus?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 04:36 PM
I have thought of something based of a children holiday folktale? What kind of demon is Krampus? You know a demon who discipline harshly to children who misbehaves for Christmas.

Boci
2019-12-16, 04:39 PM
Krampus is traditionally more fey-like than demon. Demons are chaotic evil in D&D, and a bit more interested in killing children than disciplining them. There's been various attempt to stat him in pathfinder that I know of, mostly homebrews. Assuming homebrew is okay, what CR are you looking for him? And is demon vital, or van fey, or even monstrous humanoid work?

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 04:41 PM
Krampus is traditionally more fey-like than a demon. Demons are chaotic evil in D&D, and a bit more interested in killing children than disciplining them. There's been various attempt to stat him in pathfinder that I know of, mostly homebrews. Assuming homebrew is okay, what CR are you looking for him? And is demon vital, or van fey, or even monstrous humanoid work?

I was just asking a general question about Krampus in all fairness. :smile:

Buufreak
2019-12-16, 04:44 PM
Considering his counterpart is a cookie obsessed, elf owning, slave driving, behavior snob, and he is also considered the good one, yea, Krampus and Claus as both fey. Honestly, probably both unseelie.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 04:47 PM
Considering his counterpart is a cookie obsessed, elf owning, slave driving, behavior snob, and he is also considered the good one, yea, Krampus and Claus as both fey. Honestly, probably both unseelie.

I thought Good old St. Nick was human. I mean there was a stat block of Santa Claus after all. :confused:

Boci
2019-12-16, 04:47 PM

Well, not D&D/PF elves, they're more like gnomes, which isn't nearly as evil. Everyone knows gnomes don't have real feelings...

Scots Dragon
2019-12-16, 04:49 PM
Krampus is in Pathfinder's Bestiary 6 as a Monstrous Humanoid (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/krampus/)

Psyren
2019-12-16, 05:13 PM
{Scrubbed}

If you're asking about fictional representations/examples that could be translated to tabletop, see the Pathfinder link above for one.

Boci
2019-12-16, 05:15 PM
If you're asking about fictional representations/examples that could be translated to tabletop, see the Pathfinder link above for one.

At CR 21 I'm not sure how useful that Krumpus is for an actual game, at least personally. I'd rather he was no more than CR 8 and preferably 4-6. He just seems to fit that level of play much better.

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-16, 05:16 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Ok, thank you for that information and everybody else. :smile:

Scots Dragon
2019-12-16, 05:39 PM
At CR 21 I'm not sure how useful that Krumpus is for an actual game, at least personally. I'd rather he was no more than CR 8 and preferably 4-6. He just seems to fit that level of play much better.

It's meant to be an entity associated with an event of cosmic significance (the Winter Solstice), making the Krampus anything less than CR20 would undersell the concept.

If you want a party to go up against it, roll up a higher level adventure.

Boci
2019-12-16, 05:44 PM
It's meant to be an entity associated with an event of cosmic significance (the Winter Solstice), making the Krampus anything less than CR20 would undersell the concept.

If you want a party to go up against it, roll up a higher level adventure.

I get that, its just not how I would use krampus. As I said, its just how I personally feel, and also, much fewer people will ever play at level 17+ than at 4-8.

Scots Dragon
2019-12-16, 05:49 PM
I get that, its just not how I would use krampus. As I said, its just how I personally feel, and also, much fewer people will ever play at level 17+ than at 4-8.

Then just use a troll and reskin with some Krampus type abilities then

Boci
2019-12-16, 05:52 PM
Then just use a troll and reskin with some Krampus type abilities then

Nah, if I'm going to have krampus, I'm going to have krampus, he's worthy of bit more than a reskin. At the very least he's have a bag that gives him the swallow whole ability, and some ability to use chains. Plus he'd probably be a fey, since they are more magical than monstrous humanoids, and I feel krumpus is fairly magical.

Psyren
2019-12-16, 05:55 PM
Weakening the Krampus to where you want it is doable but would be very tricky. I would start by swapping its stats and size out for a generic monster array of the appropriate CR(see Unchained), but then you have to go through each of the SLAs and Su abilities to tone down or prune too... like I said, tricky.

Scots Dragon
2019-12-16, 05:55 PM
Nah, if I'm going to have krampus, I'm going to have krampus, he's worthy of bit more than a reskin. At the very least he's have a bag that gives him the swallow whole ability, and some ability to use chains. Plus he'd probably be a fey, since they are more magical than monstrous humanoids, and I feel krumpus is fairly magical.

Add the unseelie template from Green Ronin’s Advanced Bestiary or the seasonal (winter) template for some extra fey stuff

Boci
2019-12-16, 05:58 PM
Weakening the Krampus to where you want it is doable but would be very tricky. I would start by swapping its stats and size out for a generic monster array of the appropriate CR(see Unchained), but then you have to go through each of the SLAs and Su abilities to tone down or prune too... like I said, tricky.

Oh yeah, weakening down a CR 21 monster into an 8 is going to be a nightmare, statting from scratch is much simpler, or using an existing homebrew one, like this: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/epic-meepo-presents/monsters/krampus/

Thurbane
2019-12-16, 06:10 PM
I think you can make a decent Krampus with a Baphitaur and some class levels. Maybe some templates for extra abilities.

Half-fey Baphitaur? Unseelie fey?

http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/images/ud_gallery/52074_CN.jpg

Cruiser1
2019-12-16, 06:33 PM
Along the lines of Aragorn was a 5th level Ranger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?323529-Aragorn-Was-A-Fifth-Level-Ranger-Yadda-Yadda), I recall a thread from a few years ago when somebody suggested Krampus is actually just a Tiefling Commoner 1 with Skill Focus: Intimidate. :smallwink:

Saintheart
2019-12-17, 12:40 AM
Is Krampus's mortal enemy not Heatpadius?

Asmotherion
2019-12-17, 10:54 AM

This totally reminds me of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. What, like, did Santa not bring you any presents and you hold a grudge against him? XD

I thought Good old St. Nick was human. I mean there was a stat block of Santa Claus after all. :confused:

Eh, there are many origin stories for Santa. I'm not sure how much I'm free to discuss on the forum 'cause of the "no religious talk" rules, but let's just say the fact there's elves in the lore should give you enough hint to figure for yourself.

Is Krampus's mortal enemy not Heatpadius?

I'm guessing it's mostly Cholesteron only second to Diabites. :smalltongue:

Scots Dragon
2019-12-17, 11:41 AM
Eh, there are many origin stories for Santa. I'm not sure how much I'm free to discuss on the forum 'cause of the "no religious talk" rules, but let's just say the fact there's elves in the lore should give you enough hint to figure for yourself.

You can arguably find a version's stats in DDG on page 167. Or page 113, depending on the edition.

JyP
2019-12-17, 12:26 PM
I remember Krampus was stated in Villainous Competition VIII: The Weather Outside is Frightful (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?461482-Villainous-Competition-VIII-The-Weather-Outside-is-Frightful), with CR 9 to CR 20.

Ruethgar
2019-12-17, 12:26 PM

With that rule, would the discussion of Divine Minions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a), the Mulhorandi and Olympian pantheons a violation as well? If seen them discussed plenty here without issue, so where is the line drawn?

liquidformat
2019-12-17, 01:06 PM
A Krampus was created in the Villainous Competition VIII (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?461482-Villainous-Competition-VIII-The-Weather-Outside-is-Frightful/page3) including full build and a variety of CRs

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-17, 04:11 PM
{Scrubbed}

almondsAndRain
2019-12-18, 09:42 AM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote} The patron saint of chastity belts? :smalltongue:

Themrys
2019-12-18, 10:06 AM

Where do you get this?

Historical St. Nick {Scrubbed} was very much against prostitution. The whole custom of him giving gifts to children stems from the legend of him throwing gold through the windows of girls whom their father wanted to force into prostitution because he couldn't afford their dowry.

{Scrubbed} The idea would be that he helps women to get out of prostitution.

Of course, Santa Claus has little to nothing to do with historical St. Nikolaus, so there is that. Santa Claus is, however, not a historical person. {Scrubbed}

Making Krampus the polar opposite of St. Nikolaus doesn't really work {Scrubbed}

This "they are polar opposites" thing must have come about due to some Hollywood movie.

{Scrubbed}

As for the original question, I like the tiefling with good intimidation abilities idea.

{Scrubbed}

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-18, 10:26 AM
Where do you get this?

Historical St. Nick {Scrub the post, scrub the quote} was very much against prostitution. The whole custom of him giving gifts to children stems from the legend of him throwing gold through the windows of girls whom their father wanted to force into prostitution because he couldn't afford their dowry.

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote} The idea would be that he helps women to get out of prostitution.

Of course, Santa Claus has little to nothing to do with historical St. Nikolaus, so there is that. Santa Claus is, however, not a historical person. {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

Making Krampus the polar opposite of St. Nikolaus doesn't really work {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

This "they are polar opposites" thing must have come about due to some Hollywood movie.

As for the original question, I like the tiefling with good intimidation abilities idea.

{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}Psst. You ruined it.

Psyren
2019-12-18, 10:56 AM
With that rule, would the discussion of Divine Minions (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a), the Mulhorandi and Olympian pantheons a violation as well? If seen them discussed plenty here without issue, so where is the line drawn?

IANAM, but the line seems to be discussing specific fictional representations of these things. So you can talk about Thor (the OotS character) or Thor (the Marvel character) but the moment you start discussing Thor's origins in the Edda or other real-world Norse myth, you're out of bounds. There was a breakdown by Roland about it that I'm sure one of the mods can dig up.

liquidformat
2019-12-18, 11:00 AM
I will put my vote behind Pie Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401a) For Reasons!

Bartmanhomer
2019-12-18, 11:05 AM
I will put my vote behind Pie Fiend (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401a) For Reasons!

I didn't know what type of monster even exist. :eek:

truemane
2019-12-18, 02:15 PM
Metamagic Mod: Please restrict all comments solely to fictionalized versions of [Mythological Being] specifically as they apply to the 3.5 gaming system. Anything over that line, even a little, is a violation. If you're not sure if it's a violation or not, just don't say it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-12-19, 03:47 PM
{scrubbed}

liquidformat
2019-12-20, 10:18 AM
I didn't know what type of monster even exist. :eek:

yeah it is a fun one, there are some goodies out there if you dig, could be a fun base monster for an evil Christmas villain...